MMA fans in awe of Chris Eubank Sr.

It's just the "One; you're gonna hurt him" thing - why say that otherwise?
I think that was perhaps used as a better thing for him to say than 'working to the head isn't effective at all', maybe to keep his fighter's confidence up? I could see how that looks like he's trying to protect Blackwell though. I suppose its hard for us to ever know his true intentions with how eccentric he is.

I think that was perhaps used as a better thing for him to say than 'working to the head isn't effective at all', maybe to keep his fighter's confidence up? I could see how that looks like he's trying to protect Blackwell though. I suppose its hard for us to ever know his true intentions with how eccentric he is.
In my personal opinion it was a bit of both - he wanted a finish, he didnt want to go to the score cards... But he'd also been down a very dark path with a similar situation of having a tired and hurt fighter constantly advance into more punishment, which ended up having serious consequences...

I mean surely he must think about Michael Watson every day - there had to be something there, or else Chris is a complete sociopath, which is also very likely... But I feel that Chris was very affected by the Watson fight - for me he lost a bit of his edge and became more cautious, especially when all of the court stuff was happening and they analysed the shit out of it... Surely that makes an impact? I mean he's mad, and kind of a prick, and it could be either him doing a a favour, or just wanting a swift KO... Could be either. Probably a bit of both.

Wait... You live in America and you're calling England a depressing shithole..?

<{Heymansnicker}>

I used to live in America... It's full of people who have never travelled or seen the world tell me how great their country is... Did you know only 6% of Americans own a passport? That's crazy to me - they think there's nothing else worth seeing because they'e got this image in their heads placed there by media that repeats the mantra "Greatest country on earth"...

You'd be stunned to discover that life is actually a lot easier, nicer, and healthier for its average citizen in many other places.

I thought you Brits could take a joke.

Oh, I already know. I am American but I don't live in America. 6% of America is more people than the entirety of Norway, Sweden and Denmark combined. There's a lot of fucking people in the States and it's always rich when non-Americans generalize about what we think (see what I did there ;) ). I never traveled abroad until after university because my extended family is spread out all over the country and holidays were reserved for visiting those family members.

I thought you Brits could take a joke.

Oh, I already know. I am American but I don't live in America. 6% of America is more people than the entirety of Norway, Sweden and Denmark combined. There's a lot of fucking people in the States and it's always rich when non-Americans generalize about what we think (see what I did there ;) ). I never traveled abroad until after university because my extended family is spread out all over the country and holidays were reserved for visiting those family members.

America is so big that a lot of people think that visiting other parts of it constitutes real travelling... Then again I know people from North London that won't even go south of the river... People are strange.

You will though surely concur with the fact that it's geneally the concensus that more Americans want to visit Vegas than Paris or New York than London, and so on... So much to do - I mean I loved it there, don't get me wrong - but the thing that really grated me was how everyone acted like I was supposed to feel privileged for being there like I'd arrived on a banana boat from some political backwater where my life was so awful... That's really where my sense of humour cuts out. That ignorant/arrogant combo is a hard one to get my head around... Not saying you, or most people, but some - and they're the ones that stick in the mind. You know how it is.

I left because I hurt myself and it would have cost me thousands to fix myself - came home and got it done for free.

but the thing that really grated me was how everyone acted like I was supposed to feel privileged for being there like I'd arrived on a banana boat from some political backwater where my life was so awful...

This.
" Oh, you're from England? This must be such a treat for you!!! So do you know the Queen? ".

Happened a lot more than it should've.

He has a lot of layers to him which leads to polarizing takes on him. On one hand the guy preaches sportsmanship and on the other loves brutal carnage and breaking the rules to win, whatever it takes. I get what he means, the balance of conduct in a brutal sport.

Back