MMA fans and the obsession of the GOAT

Reaction score
I know that it is a discussion in every sport, but I feel that there will never be a clear GOAT in MMA. It's a very unpredictable sport where anyone can be knocked out (JJ and Rose. Just an example) or their style can be neutralized by a different style (Maia and Woodly. Agian, just an example). Why do you think that as MMA fans we feel the need to constantly debate the GOAT? Do you feel that we do it more than other sports? If so, why or why not?

usa_today_9751952.0.jpg

There is no debate, it's simple really.

It's no different in MMA than in any other sport. Who's the greatest in boxing? Who knows. Who's the greatest in soccer? Who knows.

It's "messianic complex". People want/need someone to worship and revere. For some it's also a matter of identity.

The whole thing is nonsense.

GOAT and P4P are fairy tales that a lot of people like to talk about, but there will hardly be consensus, and there is just no right answer anyway.

Who would be better if we lived in a fantasy world where we could confront people from different eras fighting each other at their prime and somehow manage to put them in the same weightclass?

Probabally because its a newer sport. In Boxing you have 100's of years history and there is a clear GOAT in Sugar Ray Robinson but there is even still debate about that in the Boxing community. Fans who don't know their history mentioning Mayweather and people who don't know shit saying its Ali. Really your going to have it an every sport but more so in MMA because its such a young sport.

Also MMA has a clear GOAT in GSP. People make all sorts of excuses but the best thing is a computerised scoring system like fightmatrix that leave out all bios because people score fighters down for not finishing or not liking their style.

it's whack ass talk. Happens a lot here. I think I've only used that term a couple times in jest and whenever I talk about Nick Thompson. Or goats of course. Fucking love goats.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15951-1364062940-3.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_o2sy9clZUv1tpt5tfo1_500.gif

It's no different in MMA than in any other sport. Who's the greatest in boxing? Who knows. Who's the greatest in soccer? Who knows.

Messi in soccerball.

Anyway, the whole GOAT debate is a never ending one. Probably best to decide for yourself who is the GOAT and leave it at that.

I agree all this discussion is premature

Things will be a lot clearer after we see Chaos and Platinum in the cage together for that WW strap

Messi in soccerball.

Anyway, the whole GOAT debate is a never ending one. Probably best to decide for yourself who is the GOAT and leave it at that.

Messi never lead Argentina to win a WC. As opposed to Maradona. So Maradona > Messi.

Messi is the best in football (you accidentially said soccer).

@DS7

because MMA is dying and trying to stay relevant

The only thing more ghey than GOAT debate is the P4P debate.

The HW champ > everyone else. No one gives a shit that your house cat is more agile than the tiger because in the real world we know who gets eaten.

Do you feel that we do it more than other sports? If so, why or why not?

Yes by a VERY long way.

Football (soccer) the biggest sport in the world by a VERY long way and it's not really discussed. Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo it's probably one of them but in similar football forums I'm part of it hardly ever gets discussed but here it comes up several times a day every day.

Back