MMA Evolution myth

wilKO

Green, White & Gold belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Now that BJ and Fedor have lost this topic keeps coming up. People saying BJ and Fedor aren't the same because the sport has evolved or people saying fighters of today would beat prime BJ and Fedor. Let's just take a look shall we.

Fedor is an expert martial artist who has been involved in combat sambo and other martial arts since he was a kid. He has beaten Olympic gold medalists, K1 champions, ADCC standouts, all Americans.

BJ Penn is a BJJ world champion with great TDD and boxing skills

Explain to me how the guys today are more skilled than those guys were?

People are saying Stipe would KO prime Fedor because guys have evolved... Stipe is a fireman. He was a division 1 wrestler. Not even a division 1 wrestler like Coleman or Randleman. Just a division 1 wrestler. He was a golden gloves champion... wow. So was Stephan Bonnar. Meaningless. Truth is HW has not evolved at all. Not in the slightest.

Who at LW or FW is more skilled than prime BJ? Very few. If any.

TLDR: MMA skill level hasn't evolved since Fedor and BJs prime days. Especially not at HW.

<mma4><Fedor23>

Show some damn respect.

well its evolved for the women,, I mean look at rhonda

Now that BJ and Fedor have lost this topic keeps coming up. People saying BJ and Fedor aren't the same because the sport has evolved or people saying fighters of today would beat prime BJ and Fedor. Let's just take a look shall we.

Fedor is an expert martial artist who has been involved in combat sambo and other martial arts since he was a kid. He has beaten Olympic gold medalists, K1 champions, ADCC standouts, all Americans.

BJ Penn is a BJJ world champion with great TDD and boxing skills

Explain to me how the guys today are more skilled than those guys were?

People are saying Stipe would KO prime Fedor because guys have evolved... Stipe is a fireman. He was a division 1 wrestler. Not even a division 1 wrestler like Coleman or Randleman. Just a division 1 wrestler. He was a golden gloves champion... wow. So was Stephan Bonnar. Meaningless. Truth is HW has not evolved at all. Not in the slightest.

Who at LW or FW is more skilled than prime BJ? Very few. If any.

TLDR: MMA skill level hasn't evolved since Fedor and BJs prime days. Especially not at HW.

<mma4><Fedor23>

Show some damn respect.

Please show me ANY MMA training gym that was open during Pride era.
Please show me who was well rounded in all disciplines in Martial arts, and did not crack top 10 in their division.

If you can't, that's because the sport evolved.
Most fighters now a day started MMA knowing BJJ, Wrestling and Striking which they trained from day one.

Most now know better how to cut weight, thanks to developments in that area.
Most know how to eat better
Most have access to better technology, better training facilities and better trainers.

The sport evolved.

the only thing that didn't are the haters. they continue being blind and brainless.

He has beaten Olympic gold medalists, all Americans.

Coleman was over 40 when he fought Fedor, while Fedor was in his athletic prime. Randleman was a LHW with a career MMA record of 17-16.

Let's see Coleman vs. Cormier now (there's only a 2 year age difference) and see how your claim holds up.

The sport definitely has evolved. But that does not mean that the average fighter or even champ of today is skilled beyond those greats of the past. The average skill level is a lot higher though.

BJ and Fedor are losing mostly because they are old both physically and in terms of mileage. And both don't seem to have the same mindset and mental ability anymore. Which is quite normal obviously. It would be strange if they would still seem like their sub 30 versions.

BJ, Fedor and others were definitely ahead of their time. But both would have a harder time with todays comptetion. However their prime versions would walk through the likes of Mitrione, Siver, Maldonado and Yair etc.

I think age and wear-n-tear has more to do with it than evolution for both guys.

I would argue that Fedor actually devolved. When he first came around he was a brilliant tactician who mixed striking and grappling beautifully. Then he started turning into a wild, head hunting brawler.

BJ got incredibly far on his talent but he refused to evolve.

Obviously MMA hasn't evolved as much at the higher weight classes, but the difference is definitely and clearly there. Certainly no "myth".

Look at guys like DC, Jones or Rockhold. Just a higher calibre of well rounded fighter and athlete than what came before.

They too will be surpassed in time.

OP must be one of those MMA creationists
thanks, 'murica

Back