MMA eras

cyrusthevyrus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me, there are some MMA eras:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts#Timeline_of_major_events

1. Experiments : Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali, Antonio Inoki, Gracie family

2. Hybrid : Marco Ruas, Rickson Gracie, Masakatsu Funaki, Fabio Gurgel, Murilo Bustamante, Wallid Ismail, Minoru Suzuki

3. Pioneers : Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Igor Vovchanchyn, Bas Rutten, Jose Pele Landi Jones, Mark Kerr, Dan Severn, Mark Coleman

4. PRIDE vs UFC : Fedor Emelianenko, Mirko Cro Cop, Wanderlei Silva, Shogun Rua, Mark Hunt, Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva, George Saint-Pierre, BJ Penn, Randy Couture, Chuck Lidell, Dan Henderson

5. UFC monopoly : Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar, Conor McGregor, Jose Aldo, Demetrious Johnson

6. Future : Robert Whittaker, Max Holloway, Rory MacDonald, Aaron Pico

I wouldn't really call Rory the future when he debuted before MM, Conor and Ronda.

Rory's been deemed "the future" even longer than Erick Silva.

I'd like to include a mini-era,

It seemed right after UFC 100, everyone was talking about getting super super jacked and huge after Lesnar mauled Mir.

Even Mir himself became fucking huge, as it was discussed quite alot that in order to compete with Lesnar, you'd need to be a jacked white boy or a normal black guy to even stand a chance.

The Lesnar Era, like the time of the dinosaurs - those bros were fucking huge and gassed in 2 minutes.

Then Cain ended it, weighing probally 40lbs less on the night.

I think he will become a real star in the future

With the damage he's taken and the years he's been fighting he's probably coming to the end of his prime.

He's been fighting 14 years and has had 24 fights.

hqdefault.jpg

His leg is still currently recovering.

rory-macdonald-ii.jpg

Two eras. Pre and post USADA-era... before and after february 2015...

In february 2015 the UFC announced the partnershup with USADA. After that we got the craziest year in the promotions history:

Not only was a new record set for shortest title fight but seven of the promotion's 10 championships changed hands over the course of the year to seven new champions. The closest any recent year has come to matching this was in 2010, when three new champions were crowned when the UFC only had seven weight classes (and no female division).

The overhaul in champions also ended three of the four longest reigns in the promotion. Demetrious Johnson, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey and Jose Aldo all entered the year with at least four championship defenses but only Johnson finished the year as champion.

A coincidence? We like to think so..

Last edited:
I'd like to include a mini-era,

It seemed right after UFC 100, everyone was talking about getting super super jacked and huge after Lesnar mauled Mir.

Even Mir himself became fucking huge, as it was discussed quite alot that in order to compete with Lesnar, you'd need to be a jacked white boy or a normal black guy to even stand a chance.

The Lesnar Era, like the time of the dinosaurs - those bros were fucking huge and gassed in 2 minutes.

Then Cain ended it, weighing probally 40lbs less on the night.

Then Cain's body ended Cain.

Which f'ng sucks, the guy is/was fun to watch.

Which f'ng sucks, the guy is/was fun to watch.

One of the biggest tragedies in MMA to be honest.

tumblr_muzy34hZC11r63zsoo1_400.gif

I remember watching the third fight with JDS and thinking, the intensity and the savageness of Cain man...it was impossible for him not to be the HW GOAT one day..and then AKA bought the ACLRipper 5000.

Mid to Late 2000’s was the best era of mma by far.

NHB
Zuffa
WME/USADA (current)

My .02 anyways

One of the biggest tragedies in MMA to be honest.

tumblr_muzy34hZC11r63zsoo1_400.gif

I remember watching the third fight with JDS and thinking, the intensity and the savageness of Cain man...it was impossible for him not to be the HW GOAT one day..and then AKA bought the ACLRipper 5000.

Then he came back and absolutely smashed Browne, I thought this is going to be Cain V2, hasn't fought since.

For me, there are some MMA eras:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts#Timeline_of_major_events

1. Experiments : Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali, Antonio Inoki, Gracie family

2. Hybrid : Marco Ruas, Rickson Gracie, Masakatsu Funaki, Fabio Gurgel, Murilo Bustamante, Wallid Ismail, Minoru Suzuki

3. Pioneers : Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Igor Vovchanchyn, Bas Rutten, Jose Pele Landi Jones, Mark Kerr, Dan Severn, Mark Coleman

4. PRIDE vs UFC : Fedor Emelianenko, Mirko Cro Cop, Wanderlei Silva, Shogun Rua, Mark Hunt, Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva, George Saint-Pierre, BJ Penn, Randy Couture, Chuck Lidell, Dan Henderson

5. UFC monopoly : Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar, Conor McGregor, Jose Aldo, Demetrious Johnson

6. Future : Robert Whittaker, Max Holloway, Rory MacDonald, Aaron Pico
1. Experiments = Geo Omori, Gracies, Waldemar Santana, Euclydes Pereira, Ivan Gomes,Rei Zulu

2- Hybrid: + Eugenio Tadeu + Royler

3. Pioneers : Tank (culturel influence), Oleg, Don

4. PRIDE vs UFC: Big Nog (!), Gomi,Caol Uno,Arona,Paulo Filho

Last edited:
1. Pre-Conor
2. Conor era
3. Post-Conor

Isn't "future" just an extension of "UFC Monopoly"?

Near Future-Era : Big Mac Kenzie Dern, CM Punk, Colbert

Back