MMA/Boxing: Aiming the left leg with a Straight Right!?

ElDiabloLoco503

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been watching some boxing and I'm curious about how Marciano and Tyson (and Mcgregor to a less exaggerated extent) throw their rear hands. It appears that they become flat footed with their rear leg by a weight transfer and step in with the heel of their front leg with an explosive transfer of weight.

rocki-marciano-phantom-overhand-example-001.gif

mike-tyson-home-run-hook-example-001.gif

giphy.gif

mcgregor%2B1.gif

I don't know where to place my lead foot and it appears that they all place it facing their opponent's centerline to aim the punch. If anyone knows the mechanics and proper strategy/technique to use this punch, that would be excellent.

Your description of the footwork is spot on I think.
1. Load up or 'sit' into rear leg
2. Push forward onto heel of front leg
3. ???
4. Knockouts, knockouts everywhere.

As for lead foot placement: You can try it out right now (I am while I type this). Assuming orthodox stance:
-Stepping straight ahead into center line feels strong, straight transfer, simple. If you're lucky it's a knock out, if you duck with it you've got defense and a possible takedown.
-Stepping to the right is near impossible.
-Stepping to the left moves you into their power, and doesn't bring you in better striking range. Risky, but creates a bit of an angle I guess.
-Stepping in deep and left and ducking: Awesome. My favorite. Tyson, Fedor, Dan Henderson, they love this too. If you connect, it's a knockout (because you're really throwing your whole body forward). If you miss, you're cutting a crazy angle on them. If you're able to strike southpaw (and you should), you have forced them into a sudden southpaw throwdown. If you're doing MMA, you can get easy takedowns from here.

Eh so front foot conclusion: Stepping in straight is simple, safe, effective, easy to reset. Stepping in deep to the left is bad ass gangsta shit.

Bonus Tyson detail: When Tyson steps/leaps into this, his front foot lands after the punch, sideways, pointing towards the opponent. This might feel awkward at first, but it puts you low and squared up at them, ready to follow up with killer lefts.

Back