Mixing BJJ and TKD

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was thinking of mixing BJJ with Taekwondo. With all the tootsie guards, BJJ is becoming as irrelevant to actual fighting as Taekwondo. At least I will have some kicks. No?

I know this is kinda off topic but why are you saying that BJJ is irrelevant to fighting?

I was thinking of mixing BJJ with Taekwondo. With all the tootsie guards, BJJ is becoming as irrelevant to actual fighting as Taekwondo. At least I will have some kicks. No?

you don't think tootsie guard players like Miayo brothers or Rafa Mendes can double leg someone on the street and choke him out cold?

you don't think tootsie guard players like Miayo brothers or Rafa Mendes can double leg someone on the street and choke him out cold?

Same can be said for an olympic TKD guy, they will knock the head off of most people before they even know whats going on.

Same can be said for an olympic TKD guy, they will knock the head off of most people before they even know whats going on.

World TKD champion Olga Ivanova:

[YT]5fTP6_CS-2Q[/YT]

I like the term "tootsie guards" lol.

Like in the early UFC?

I never understand why some posters (on a grappling forum nonetheless) lead to believe that Miyao bros or Mendes Bros can't do simple things like double leg--> KOB/side control--> choke, on a street fight.

Like in the early UFC?

I never understand why some posters (on a grappling forum nonetheless) lead to believe that Miyao bros or Mendes Bros can't do simple things like double leg--> KOB/side control--> choke, on a street fight.

This always seems to get lost in the "street v sport" debate of BJJ. People often forget how uncoordinated non-grapplers are when it comes to grappling. Have you ever got into a confrontation or even a friendly spar with someone who does not grapple? it is like rolling with a child. You can kind of do whatever you want to. After training for 2.5-3 years I was home to visit my brother. He thought that all grappling was bull and wanted to "test" himself. He strapped on gloves and I spent the next 25-30 minutes just toying with him. Started with simple takedown-->KOB-->Mount or Back --> Submit. When that got boring I went to pulling guard, including DLR, and did pretty much whatever I wanted. The total amount of damage taken? none.

Non grapplers have a horrible sense of balance and certainly a poor sense of how to properly escape grappling situations. Many times even grabbing a simple single leg is enough to topple most people.

Like in the early UFC?

You said that a world class sport BJJ person could beat a bum on the streets, and Rod1 replied with a TKD Olympic gold medalist KO'ing a bum on the street. But then you bring up "the early UFC". I don't get how you compare Miyao's knocking out a bum on the street then bring up Early UFC.

If there weren't rules on Sherdog about posting street fights, multiple videos of random TKD and karate people KO'ing thugs and bums on a street corner could be thrown up.

But TS post is just meant to stir up shit I suspect.

Like in the early UFC?

We had olympic TKD guys in early UFC?

We had olympic TKD guys in early UFC?

no, but they had a 6'5" 220 lbs european karate/savate champion in UFC 1. they also had a heavyweight pro boxer.

Yes, they both lost to a 160 lbs brazilian

Early UFC??????

Here is Marcelo Garcia getting obliterated by a nobody Korean striker in MMA. If you BOZOs ever get to the level of Marcelo Garcia and if you come across a below average fighter who does not even have a Wikipedia entry then this is the bloody mess that you guys will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XnxzBx519Y

no, but they had a 6'5" 220 lbs european karate/savate champion in UFC 1. they also had a heavyweight pro boxer.

Yes, they both lost to a 160 lbs brazilian

Erm. You're missing the point of Rod1's post.

Early UFC??????

Here is Marcelo Garcia getting obliterated by a nobody Korean striker in MMA. If you BOZOs ever get to the level of Marcelo Garcia and if you come across a below average fighter who does not even have a Wikipedia entry then this is the bloody mess that you guys will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XnxzBx519Y

your a bozo, if it wasn't for the mma gloves he would have choked him out in 2 minutes.

Back