Missing 411 - New documentary on David Paulides' missing persons cases

G

Guestx

I know some of you know who David Paulides is and are aware of his work on missing persons cases, specifically cases of missing persons in national parks.

Apparently there's a new documentary on the way that explores five of these cases. Looks pretty interesting.

Actually looks pretty good! I was nervous about this one for a while but it seems to be coming together nicely

I donated to that film. Been waiting a long time for it.

Did you just donate like 5 bucks or something?

I don't remember it wasn't a lot. I was unemployed a the time I just felt compelled to donate something because I'm such a fan of Paulides. This was in 2015 I think.

I don't remember it wasn't a lot. I was unemployed a the time I just felt compelled to donate something because I'm such a fan of Paulides. This was in 2015 I think.

Gotcha. I found the Kickstarter page and it looks like if you went up to $30 then you'd get a digital download of the movie.

Reading those reviews though, maybe it doesn't matter.

Gotcha. I found the Kickstarter page and it looks like if you went up to $30 then you'd get a digital download of the movie.

Reading those reviews though, maybe it doesn't matter.

Fuck what other people think though. I don't think I could not enjoy anything from Paulides.

Fuck what other people think though. I don't think I could not enjoy anything from Paulides.

I understand the sentiment, but it sounds like he broke his own rules and also sounds like the film is not really an honest film, leaving out a lot of relevant information.

Missing 411, as a whole, does a great job of illustrating just how many people still go missing and die out in the wilderness, and how there's still plenty of dense forest in today's world that's not to be fucked with - even here in the developed US.

Most modern day humans simply aren't built to deal with such terrain.

As for the oddities associated with many of the cases Paulides covers, I'm not sure what to make of it all. But it does seem rather strange for him to have had such a difficult time procuring the necessary information from the park services to complete his documentary.

I suppose you could attribute that to a fear of poor publicity costing them revenue, however, that can also result from withholding said information - it's a double edged sword to stonewall citizens that wish to view the data (not to mention entirely unethical).

One case that always bothered me was the case of that med student who went to a bar and was never seen leaving the bar again. His father looked for him until he was accidentally killed by a tree branch or something like that falling him and killing him. So many cases like this. Sad and intriguing at the same time.

Missing 411, as a whole, does a great job of illustrating just how many people still go missing and die out in the wilderness, and how there's still plenty of dense forest in today's world that's not to be fucked with - even here in the developed US.

Most modern day humans simply aren't built to deal with such terrain.

As for the oddities associated with many of the cases Paulides covers, I'm not sure what to make of it all. But it does seem rather strange for him to have had such a difficult time procuring the necessary information from the park services, to complete his documentary.

I suppose you could attribute that to a fear of poor publicity costing them revenue, however, that can also result from withholding said information - it's a double edged sword to stonewall citizens that wish to view the data (not to mention entirely unethical).

I've heard Paulides on Coast to Coast a few times. It's interesting stuff.

It's a shame that it sounds like this doc is a huge missed opportunity and is just not very good. It's well-produced, from what I've read, but the actual cases he chose to focus on here is garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some of you know who David Paulides is and are aware of his work on missing persons cases, specifically cases of missing persons in national parks.

Apparently there's a new documentary on the way that explores five of these cases. Looks pretty interesting.

Did I just see Les Stroud the Survivorman?

I've heard Paulides on Coast to Coast to a few times. It's interesting stuff.

It's a shame that it sounds like this doc is a huge missed opportunity and is just not very good. It's well-produced, from what I've read, but the actual cases he chose to focus on here is garbage.

Dude, read the books. The radio interviews don't hold a candle. I've read the first 4. I'm totally baffled. I don't have a clue. Some of that shit will give you chills.

Back