Mirko Cro Cop vs Cain Velasquez in a Pride Ring, Pride Rules

In the ring Mirko 8/10 times

In the cage it is 50/50

One thing very interesting about this matchup is Cain constantly pressures forward. That worked well for Fedor against Mirko but Fedor had great striking defense. Fedor trained with great Dutch kickboxers in preparation for his fight with Mirko. Cain may be able to fluster Mirko at times with that aggression but could he survive a ten minute first round without getting counter struck? If Mirko can catch Cain coming in with a straight left to the jaw or a body kick that could instantly change the entire fight.

I dont see Mirko landing the high kick in this fight unless Cain is already rocked or exhausted. Cain's forward pressure should keep him relatively close to the pocket at all times which would likely jam Cro Cop from throwing the LHK. I also don't think Mirko would throw too many leg kicks in fear of being taken down.

I think Mirko would win with precise and devastating counter striking. Cain is/was a great fighter but Mirko was so much more lethal when you compare their peaks.

mirko would destroy cain in a ring circa 2003-2006.

Mirko was more explosive than Bigfoot for sure, he might be able to get up early on but only while getting punched so it'd wear him down. A few more minutes in and I think he'd be trapped under Cain, who is a master at striking while controlling his opponent in different positions. Not sure I've seen anyone better at that actually.

How do you think the fight would of been in the stand up department? Cain would have to close the range against cro cop in order to take him down. Cain doesn't really have the best striking defense so he is there to get hit. Cro Cop back then was really good at countering, and was quick on his feet and precise with that left cross. Do you think he would of made cain pay for getting too close, the way kongo did in their fight?

In the ring Mirko 8/10 times

In the cage it is 50/50

One thing very interesting about this matchup is Cain constantly pressures forward. That worked well for Fedor against Mirko but Fedor had great striking defense. Fedor trained with great Dutch kickboxers in preparation for his fight with Mirko. Cain may be able to fluster Mirko at times with that aggression but could he survive a ten minute first round without getting counter struck? If Mirko can catch Cain coming in with a straight left to the jaw or a body kick that could instantly change the entire fight.

I dont see Mirko landing the high kick in this fight unless Cain is already rocked or exhausted. Cain's forward pressure should keep him relatively close to the pocket at all times which would likely jam Cro Cop from throwing the LHK. I also don't think Mirko would throw too many leg kicks in fear of being taken down.

I think Mirko would win with precise and devastating counter striking. Cain is/was a great fighter but Mirko was so much more lethal when you compare their peaks.

Great response, couldn't have said it better myself.

How do you think the fight would of been in the stand up department? Cain would have to close the range against cro cop in order to take him down. Cain doesn't really have the best striking defense so he is there to get hit. Cro Cop back then was really good at countering, and was quick on his feet and precise with that left cross. Do you think he would of made cain pay for getting too close, the way kongo did in their fight?

Yeah Cain would get bloodied but survive I think, and keep going forward like he always does. Much like the 3rd JDS fight.

But my question is, how would of Cain done against the best Cro Cop inside the ring?

Since both fighters have spent plenty of time in a cage, it's much easier to speculate on that. What would Jones vs. Cormier look like in a ring? I don't know, but I'd be a lot more willing to bet if they fought in a cage.

Cain by ground and pound TKO. Mirko wouldn't be very hard for him to take down.

Lay and pray

cain-bigfoot-bloodbath.jpg

And Bigfoot's guard and ground game > Mirko's. Cain has the most knockouts/TKO's in UFC HW history.
Holy shit... I have never seen that picture before.. looks literally like a murder scene lol

I believe that Cain would be at a disadvantage in the ring against Cro Cop because of the fact that he doesn't have the cage in assisting in his take downs. Cain wouldn't be able to use elbows in his ground and pound under pride rules. But in place with that he can use knees. If he was able to get Mirko down at some point, I feel like can would massacre cro cop with knees to the head while on the ground.

A prime Fedor's GNP, transitions, and submission game are better than Cain's. And Fedor couldn't "murder" CroCop on the ground. Sure, maybe Can could manage to do it. But the chances of it happening are lower than the chances of it not happening. That's the point of the odds.

Last edited:
IOne thing very interesting about this matchup is Cain constantly pressures forward. That worked well for Fedor against Mirko but Fedor had great striking defense. Fedor trained with great Dutch kickboxers in preparation for his fight with Mirko.

Let's also not forget that Mirko staggered Fedor and was inches away from catching him with a high kick. Mirko slipped on the mat, allowing Fedor just enough time to recover, and nearly took his block off. We've seen Cain get hit and dropped (and KOed) more so than Fedor in his prime.

Back