Mindlbowing thought on weight classes

AndrewGolota48

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
If MMA/boxing/wrestling etc didn't have weight classes like the majority of other sports do not, many that we consider GOATS would not even have turned pro. Just like some ultra small highly skilled basketball player that is 4.5 ft tall or some guy who is an amazingly skilled linebacker but weighs 95 lbs could never make it at the professional level.

Imagine there was a basketball league made for people 5 foot and under. One of the players was incredibly dominant, far more dominant in this league than even a prime Jordan was in the NBA. Would that make him a better p4p basketball player than Jordan? Should he be called the best of all time?

The likes of Floyd, Mighty, etc would not even be pros, much less considered the GOATs.

Come to think of it, it actually fucks over a lot of heavyweight larger athletes in a way. The bizarre reality is that Chris Tuscherer and Todd Duffee are way better fighters than 95% of the UFC roster. A lot of heavyweights get cut from the UFC or never even make it despite the fact that they could smash Dominick Cruz at his own sport.

I'm not trying to bash the lower divisions at all, I think they are great, just a weird thought bro. One of the p4p deepest thoughts ever, becuase my IQ is super low.

giphy.gif

Not until the very end did i realize you were talking to your brother. What a twist!

Size matters. That's why the hypothetical "pound for pound" was invented in the first place.

Imagine a Sherdog forum for IQ below 70.

UFC should start a 100pound weight class to see if there is someone there greater than all previous MMA fighters

So Derrick Lewis would be ranked higher than Mighty Mouse on the P4P rankings?

Excellent! I came into this thread with high expectations, and I am not disappoint. Bravo sir! Bravo sherdog!

<GinJuice>

Ball-games are stupid regardless, you wouldn't have weight of height classes in basketball you would simply lower the hoop or have a goal on the ground or change the sport completely...

Fighting is fighting, but there's no reason basketball has to be the exact sport that it is, it's a ball game made up by humans.....in other words, the specific rules of basketball already allow a specific type of athlete to be successful, you could just invent a new game that suits a different style of athlete better

Back