Mindful Movements - Instructor Certifications with Nick Osipczak (UFC)

raisedspirit

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

Hi guys!

Today I made public my Mindful Movements program which passes on the essence of movement, helping develop the human potential by combining tried and tested training methods from the Martial Arts, Tai Chi, Yoga, Qi-Gong, animal movements, breathing exercises and meditation.

The philosophy of the program is based on balance and longevity – ensuring that people increase their understanding of health, whilst training in a sustainable way.

Currently I have instructors teaching the program in four countries (UK, Germany, USA and Japan), and I am opening up spaces for 10 more people to become certified.

Key methodologies of Mindful Movements:

- Strength vs Power. We are interested in becoming more powerful. Muscles only play a small role in power, and are usually very over-stressed by most sports programs. Tendons, ligaments, bones, the nervous system and the fascia system need to be cultivated. We can draw inspiration from the powerful, graceful, mobile and coordinated movements of many animals (who do not carry excessive muscle-mass).

- Working with rather than against gravity, to move more efficiently. This requires a deeper understanding of physical alignment, coupled with the ability to release deep tensions in the body and mind.

- Learning how to control our minds (instead of being controlled by them) is crucial not only for our physical development, but also for living a peaceful and creative life.

- Moving in slow-motion to gain deeper awareness of anatomy, balance, efficiency and body mechanics. If a movement cannot be performed slowly with control, then how can we expect to execute the movement properly in full speed?!

- Training with a partner, developing sensorimotor skills by connecting and harmonising with them, responding to information gained via touch.

- Standing practise is paradoxically the essence of Mindful Movements. It improves structural alignment, anatomical awareness, patience, proprioception, concentration, the ability to release, and grounding. “Movement originates from stillness… to gain a deeper understanding of movement, one has to study stillness!”

- Goal-setting and goal-attainment strategies makes up a significant portion of our study.

- Utilising primary Yoga poses to quickly identify and remedy areas of inflexibility and imbalance in the body.

- Using our increased awareness and improved structure and movement to heal existing injuries and prevent further ones.

The next Mindful Movements workshop will be held in Oxfordshire, UK, Janurary 5-6th 2018.

If you would like to apply to become an instructor in the program, get in touch with some information about yourself and I will reply shortly: [email protected]

Keep moving!

Nick Osipczak

Normally I frown upon blatant advertising like this, but Nick you're one of the few people who has represented something resembling Tai Chi well in MMA. That's pretty cool.

The whole animal thing though ugh, it's not really comparable to us. Alot of animals are also jacked. No doubt moving about and using your joints and body is great, but the whole "move like an animal" craze is so gimmicky.

The standing meditation and Tai Chi grounding stuff seems interesting though.

Last edited:
I always thought sloths got a bad rep, energy conversation anyone?

sorry, but the music is disgusting. i had to stop it after 5 seconds. try something more relaxed.
right now it sounds like super marios wedding or something.

and like sano said.

Normally I frown upon blatant advertising like this, but Nick you're one of the few people who has represented something resembling Tai Chi well in MMA. That's pretty cool.

The whole animal thing though ugh, it's not really comparable to us. Alot of animals are also jacked. No doubt moving about and using your joints and body is great, but the whole "move like an animal" craze is so gimmicky.

The standing meditation and Tai Chi grounding stuff seems interesting though.

Thanks for the comment Sano. The animal movements part is to simply get people moving on the ground. As fans of MMA we take it for granted, but most people simply do not regularly play on the floor! It is a much quicker approach to teach people some animal movements then to teach them BJJ!

Hi guys!

Today I made public my Mindful Movements program which passes on the essence of movement, helping develop the human potential by combining tried and tested training methods from the Martial Arts, Tai Chi, Yoga, Qi-Gong, animal movements, breathing exercises and meditation.

The philosophy of the program is based on balance and longevity – ensuring that people increase their understanding of health, whilst training in a sustainable way.

Currently I have instructors teaching the program in four countries (UK, Germany, USA and Japan), and I am opening up spaces for 10 more people to become certified.

Key methodologies of Mindful Movements:

- Strength vs Power. We are interested in becoming more powerful. Muscles only play a small role in power, and are usually very over-stressed by most sports programs. Tendons, ligaments, bones, the nervous system and the fascia system need to be cultivated. We can draw inspiration from the powerful, graceful, mobile and coordinated movements of many animals (who do not carry excessive muscle-mass).

- Working with rather than against gravity, to move more efficiently. This requires a deeper understanding of physical alignment, coupled with the ability to release deep tensions in the body and mind.

- Learning how to control our minds (instead of being controlled by them) is crucial not only for our physical development, but also for living a peaceful and creative life.

- Moving in slow-motion to gain deeper awareness of anatomy, balance, efficiency and body mechanics. If a movement cannot be performed slowly with control, then how can we expect to execute the movement properly in full speed?!

- Training with a partner, developing sensorimotor skills by connecting and harmonising with them, responding to information gained via touch.

- Standing practise is paradoxically the essence of Mindful Movements. It improves structural alignment, anatomical awareness, patience, proprioception, concentration, the ability to release, and grounding. “Movement originates from stillness… to gain a deeper understanding of movement, one has to study stillness!”

- Goal-setting and goal-attainment strategies makes up a significant portion of our study.

- Utilising primary Yoga poses to quickly identify and remedy areas of inflexibility and imbalance in the body.

- Using our increased awareness and improved structure and movement to heal existing injuries and prevent further ones.

The next Mindful Movements workshop will be held in Oxfordshire, UK, Janurary 5-6th 2018.

If you would like to apply to become an instructor in the program, get in touch with some information about yourself and I will reply shortly: [email protected]

Keep moving!

Nick Osipczak

This is pretty cool, I'd love to join if I was in the UK.

Always been a fan of Nick due to his original fighting style and Polish roots. Love the artwork too.

Thanks for the comment Sano. The animal movements part is to simply get people moving on the ground. As fans of MMA we take it for granted, but most people simply do not regularly play on the floor! It is a much quicker approach to teach people some animal movements then to teach them BJJ!
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm still not on board with the animal movement thing. I have several reasons why, but I wont keep harping on about it, unless you want me to.

Anyway! I was watching a few videos on your channel and I really like the episodes with instructions. As someone who is fascinated by especially Tai Chi as it relates to MMA (and body control in general), it's always a pleasure to learn. We've had a few threads in the standup section trying to figure out exactly what place Tai Chi has in striking and takedowns (in regards to the weight transfer, center of gravity, sweeps and so forth). Also, it seems like an excellent way to improve your hip mobility.

I'm a boxing guy, but I find some of the principles very simular from what I've seen from Chen style at least. I really like Chen Xiaowang and his explanation about power transfer here:

I'm sure a lot of guys would like to pick your brain about this sort of stuff. If you don't mind me asking, which attributes did you find you developed mostly from Tai Chi, that was usable in the cage, and in which exact situations did you feel like you could apply your Tai Chi training?

Thanks!

Back