Millennials and DIY

Both of my brothers are millennials, and it shows. They have to group a bunch of people together to do the most basic of things. It's like the world for them is too scary to do stuff independently.

Changing your own oil has one of the worst returns as far as DIY. There have been a lot of articles on it. I understand people that enjoy working on cars/trucks preferring to do their own, but it's ridiculous to act like most people should do their own.

I drop my truck off on the way to work and walk one block to the office. I walk back to pick it up at lunch. I pay around $30. Certainly less time than doing it myself at home and the cost savings is minimal, especially when accounting for purchasing items like the jack/stands.

Most people drive to Jiffy Lube and sit in the waiting room to get it done. I can get mine done in just that travel time alone. You're also probably not getting full synthetic oil changes done so you're getting your oil changed more often than need be.

I'm not saying I'm saving a ton of time or money but I am saving both and I get peace of mind knowing that I know exactly what kind of oil and filter are going onto one of my most valuable possessions. I also don't have to worry about the filter being over tightened, the drain plug getting stripped, grease being tracked into my vehicle etc.

You should have a jack and stands regardless. One DIY brake job and you'll save enough to pay for all the tools needed.

A lot of people severely overestimate their DIY abilities, and often times YT videos and other videos don't tell you the best practice for doing things up to code. There are plenty of times people post massive bathroom/kitchen or other renovations on reddit and the top comment will be from a contractor that says you forgot to do x, and you are going to have to gut a huge portion and fix it. That's not smart.

I DIY everything I can complete with a reasonable degree of certainty and with a relative small degree of harm if I fail.

You're all sexually ambiguous girly men with no life skills and the first generation where we see the "Wall-E" human race step into the forefront.

Abortion isn't going to be a moral conundrum in 20 years. You'll all be so disgusted with yourselves that it will be the norm.

The only real men left in the world, third world shitholes, will steal your leaders' lunch money, impregnate your women and end Western global domination with nothing more than a stick and mean words. To appease them, the president of the US will sit down with one of the tribal warlords to talk about their feelings and offer them control of the country to improve Overlord Ralph Scipio Bubba Biakabutuka's self esteem.

You can't build closet shelves and the world as we know it is doomed. Do the world a favor and DIY into a napkin.
Oh snaps!

giphy.gif

Please you can make a living masturbaitng on a camera hooked up to your laptop if you want to. Never even leave your house. Just know you are less successful than that guy if you’re still complaining. You just have to go to work and show up, then have a goal.
my post is objectively true regardless of your feelings breh

baby boomers BTFO'd

Changing your own oil has one of the worst returns as far as DIY. There have been a lot of articles on it. I understand people that enjoy working on cars/trucks preferring to do their own, but it's ridiculous to act like most people should do their own.

I drop my truck off on the way to work and walk one block to the office. I walk back to pick it up at lunch. I pay around $30. Certainly less time than doing it myself at home and the cost savings is minimal, especially when accounting for purchasing items like the jack/stands.
I work on my cars/trucks boat all day..love it.

Changing oil is the one thing I will not do.

After cost of oil..dump fees for old oil,oil filter..time

You lost money

Most people drive to Jiffy Lube and sit in the waiting room to get it done. I can get mine done in just that travel time alone. You're also probably not getting full synthetic oil changes done so you're getting your oil changed more often than need be.

I'm not saying I'm saving a ton of time or money but I am saving both and I get peace of mind knowing that I know exactly what kind of oil and filter are going onto one of my most valuable possessions. I also don't have to worry about the filter being over tightened, the drain plug getting stripped, grease being tracked into my vehicle etc.

You should have a jack and stands regardless. One DIY brake job and you'll save enough to pay for all the tools needed.

I've been driving for 20 years now. The amount of money that I've spent at a mechanic is insignificant. On the items that I have had fixed, I would feel far more comfortable with a mechanic doing it than me. Their hourly is surely a shitload less than how much I value my time, and I'm sure they are doing the job twice as fast as I would. I don't see any incentive to get into car repairs, and certainly not on something like oil changes. I have no issue with people preferring to do it, but I just think it's funny how car guys think it's so great to do it yourself.

Everyone has their own thing that they do. I file my own taxes. To me it's easy, I'm educated in it, and I don't mind doing it. Lots of people go to H+R Block. Do I take pride in doing my own and tell people they should? No. I mow my own lawn and do all of my own landscaping. Again, something that I enjoy and I truly do think it's a good return compared to what landscapers charge. I have neighbors who hire someone. Do I tell them not to or boast about doing my own? Nope. It just seems mechanical guys are the worst at bragging about their DIY as if everyone should be doing that too.

You millennials have YouTube. I remember being a kid(under 13 years old) and not being able to do some of the DIY and just being told I was stupid.

Now, I just work overtime instead of doing the DIY jobs and make money off the situation.

I fix my own electronics. Old gaming consoles, VCRs lol, iPods and iPhones for my brother's friends, computers for a time, basically anything that I want to use that won't work I'll figure the solution out to if you let me sit with it and piss around. I'm a problem solver, and a brat so everything has to work out for me lol.

It's good though. I can buy old "junk", fix it easily, and have a perfect working item.

I fix my own electronics. Old gaming consoles, VCRs lol, iPods and iPhones for my brother's friends, computers for a time, basically anything that I want to use that won't work I'll figure the solution out to if you let me sit with it and piss around. I'm a problem solver, and a brat so everything has to work out for me lol.

It's good though. I can buy old "junk", fix it easily, and have a perfect working item.

Aren't you a millenial chick? Does not compute.

The power will return
Lol, true,hopefully..a book I read delved into this topic so it’s fresh in my head.

what would happen if power went out ,what it would do to society and how the socio economic ladder would change.

S.m. Sterling “dies the fire”

I am 49 lest...gurgglleegurglegrrgggkqueef!

It was at this point Lord Biakabutuka's jagged and beautifully patinated blade turned your throat into a gaping, period pussy.

Teach those kids of yours to plow fields and service warriors. Those are the only skills required for the conquered.

I've been driving for 20 years now. The amount of money that I've spent at a mechanic is insignificant. On the items that I have had fixed, I would feel far more comfortable with a mechanic doing it than me. Their hourly is surely a shitload less than how much I value my time, and I'm sure they are doing the job twice as fast as I would. I don't see any incentive to get into car repairs, and certainly not on something like oil changes. I have no issue with people preferring to do it, but I just think it's funny how car guys think it's so great to do it yourself.

Everyone has their own thing that they do. I file my own taxes. To me it's easy, I'm educated in it, and I don't mind doing it. Lots of people go to H+R Block. Do I take pride in doing my own and tell people they should? No. I mow my own lawn and do all of my own landscaping. Again, something that I enjoy and I truly do think it's a good return compared to what landscapers charge. I have neighbors who hire someone. Do I tell them not to or boast about doing my own? Nope. It just seems mechanical guys are the worst at bragging about their DIY as if everyone should be doing that too.

Dude we're in a DIY thread. Of course we're going to talk about the positive effects of DIY. You started it out by talking about how oil changes are a waste of time and money and I explained to you that they aren't.

We waste a ton of time arguing with each other on a ninja forum so I can't take anyone here seriously when they act like their time is insanely valuable.

We live in the easiest time to do it yourself, anything you could possibly want to do is explained in a Youtube video

Indeed. Strange that anyone would have an issue doing anything themselves nowadays. Pathetic really. Worthy of scorn.

A man should have an understanding of how to do most mechanical or construction things.

Should only “outsource” once you understand what you’re outsourcing.

Diy fails to account for expertise. You’ll fix your toilet once every five to ten years? Plumber fix toilet every day or more. Who do you think is going to be better and more efficient?

Do you want a pilot who flies once or twice a year or pilot who flies weekly? Do you want a surgeon who does a procedure once a month or a surgeon who does a procedure weekly?

Back