[Military]Your favorite Duty Station(s)

Mcas Miramar is in a sweet spot in San Diego , but the base fucking sucks , operations wise its like a fucking shit show

Mcas Cherry Point is in a shitty spot in North Carolina, but the Base has great facilities and day to day stuff runs pretty smooth.

Personally I liked Beale AFB over every where else I was ever stationed. Northern California is beautiful and it was a super chill area. Amazing skate parks, food and outdoors shit to do.

Loved Ft. Campbell, hated Bragg. Ft.Carson was beautiful too

Personally I liked Beale AFB over every where else I was ever stationed. Northern California is beautiful and it was a super chill area. Amazing skate parks, food and outdoors shit to do.

Did a TDY there for a month. Being a plane geek I loved the SR-71s and U-2s.

The Black Cat detachment from Beale at Osan

5job.jpg

My favorite base I was stationed at while enlisted in the Army was Ft. Gordon in Augusta, GA. Hot and humid, but Augusta had a lot of fun stuff to do. My favorite base I lived on growing up as a Marine brat was Camp Foster in Okinawa and Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Anyone who went through MCCES at 29 Palms from 98-01 might have had my dad as their instructor.

I don't think 29 Palms is that bad either. I still live out in the desert and hate hearing Marines run this place down. Like Grass lakes, Iowa or Broken Arrow, Oklahoma or whatever po-dunk town you left behind was so much better. Get outta here.

Man, Lejuene sucked, but I was out in Courthouse Bay.

When I got out in 10, they had just fixed up Courthouse Bay big time. Brand new barracks and everything. I hated going there for rifle qual though.

Had I stayed pasty twenty I was promised Sargent Major but the wife had seen enough of me being gone so I caved in and retire.

Yeah I was told I was a lock-in for MGySgt but at the time I just felt I had enough. One morning I woke up and decided I had enough. I guess I have no regrets but I do miss it at times.

Yeah I was told I was a lock-in for MGySgt but at the time I just felt I had enough. One morning I woke up and decided I had enough. I guess I have no regrets but I do miss it at times.

Warriors and cowboys know when it's time to ride in the sunset. I was a Master Gunnery Sargent myself and look forward to the day I get my retirement pay because they make us wait until we are almost to old to spend it before they give it to us. I got tired of all the deployments from Afghanistan and Beirut to Grenada along then Desert Storm. I decided after my last trip to the desert I was going to get a easy duty station so I could be near my wife and kids who I hardly ever saw for years at a time

Last edited:
i wish i could have done 20 years but service is hard man. even in the air force. we did TDYs, moved all over, etc. it can be a tough life full of instability while maintaining your hair cut, your ironed uniform, etc. one slip and you're done. oh your son drove on base without a seatbelt, you will pay the price for that.

i wish i could have done 20 years but service is hard man. even in the air force. we did TDYs, moved all over, etc. it can be a tough life full of instability while maintaining your hair cut, your ironed uniform, etc. one slip and you're done. oh your son drove on base without a seatbelt, you will pay the price for that.

I haven't had a haircut since 1997 and my never get another one. I agree with the too strict rules while on base and it's worse if you live on base.

Evans where were you at during cobra gold 04? I was at sameasan sleeping in the open squadbay for 3 months and it sucked.

I was in a GP tent at Utaphao Air base in 2004.

The Thai barracks at Sameasan?? OOHHH those were super nasty! I stayed there for a few days in 2002. The shower/toilet/urinal conditions were BIBLICALLY disgusting.

Exact same story... 8.5 years on that fucking shithole! haha But better than some of the Army forts... Ft. Pickett and Ft. Stewart were godawful places which make Lejeune look like paradise.

Fort Stewart is still better than Camp Lejeune.

Fort Stewart is only 45 minutes from Savannah (Savannah is AWSOME!), 2 hours from Jacksonville Beach, and 1 hour from Atlanta. Plus Camp Lejeune was full of hostile dickheads.

I feel like a bit of a shitbag talking to old lifers sometimes because I was four and out. It's not even that I hated it either; there were things to the job I really enjoyed. I just realized early on that I didn't want to make a career of it, so when my enlistment ended, I figured it wasn't worth putting my life on hold for another four years. Most of the time I feel I made the right decision. The rest of the time I feel like a selfish prick.

3Bn 2dMar in camp Lejeune!
I was stationed their from 1997 to 2000. Any driftwood veterans? The was the only good strip club back then, till the Mirage open up. I think it was called mirage. Meet a beautiful black striper there.

Scwab in oki suck. I didn't take all oki could offer do to my short timer mentality. I was in oki from dec99 to jun 00 and was getting out in July.

Did a Med tour on the USS Trenton. Spain, Italy, Bosnia, Greece, Tunisia, Turkey & Romania.

NC wasn't that bad. I was from Orange county California and was depressed when I got station there. The I sucked it up and saw the east coast.

Did 4 months in Haiti too!

I was in 2nd TSB in French Creek, Camp Lejeune from 1999 - 2001. Worst 2 years of my life hands down. There is more frustration and animosity build up within so many Marines that results in more fights reported than all Marine bases combined. THAT is how much everyone hated it there.

Driftwood? Oh yeah, been there a few times. As well as La Mirage, Tobys, and Bada Booms. Worst strip clubs I have ever been to. Those places are always packed since there is nothing else to do in Jacksonville.

Last edited:
San Diego. I was home ported at Coronado Island for three years. Beautiful city, beautiful weather, beautiful chicas. And like one of the earlier posters said, WestPac > all (except UNITAS, I did one of those too).

What year did you go on a WestPac? Because I know that after 9/11 ALL Med floats were just a one way trip to Iraq or Afghanistan with MAYBE a 3 days port in Spain on the way back.

Back