military service contracts... legit or no?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Growing up I always heard that you should never believe what a recruiter tells you. They can promise you that they'll train you on some high tech cool stuff that translates to a good job in the private sector, but then once you sign up they just have you scrub toilets for 4 years.

But now my son is almost grown and he's considering the air Force. I've heard that the recruiters can't lie as much now because they have service contracts that basically guarantee that if you're promised certain training, they will put you in that training, and as long as you don't flunk out then you have a good chance of that being your job.

Do any of you guys have experience with this? Is it true that they actually keep their word now because of the contract?

Growing up I always heard that you should never believe what a recruiter tells you. They can promise you that they'll train you on some high tech cool stuff that translates to a good job in the private sector, but then once you sign up they just have you scrub toilets for 4 years.

So, who did you hear that from? It is bullshit. Recruiters can get in big trouble for lying or promising something they, or the service, are not going to deliver. I've dealt with U.S. Army recruiters and have found them to be very professional. If something is in writing, than you will definitely get it. Like 'airborne' school.

Here is what does happen. All recruiters from all the services have a monthly quota to meet. Recruitment duty is hard and stressful. I had soldiers who did it and some liked it and others hated it. It takes a certain kind of personality to be a good recruiter. You definitely have to be a 'peoples' person. Also, they are under no obligations to tell you anything negative about joining the military. So, unless you ask, they will not let certain things be known.

They are selling a product, just like any other salesman. Do you think a car salesman will ever tell you the negative points of a particular vehicle?

I would not rely too much on a recruiter these days for information. All the information you, or your son, may want can be found on the internet. Do your 'homework' before going to see a recruiter.

I did a contract in the Army. Recruiters don't lie. They just don't tell you how painfully hard being a soldier really is. I was a 13B which is field artillery. The recruitment video painted a picture of non stop action and bad assery. Reality was far more grueling. Month long field problems, never showering, working 2 days straight with no sleep.

Moral is; recruiter will get you the job they promise. But being a soldier is not easy in the slightest. Its hard as fuck. Miserable. But I wouldn't change a thing.

I did a contract in the Army. Recruiters don't lie. They just don't tell you how painfully hard being a soldier really is. I was a 13B which is field artillery.

Moral is; recruiter will get you the job they promise. But being a soldier is not easy in the slightest. Its hard as fuck. Miserable. But I wouldn't change a thing.

I second that.

But hey, this kid is going into the U.S. Air Force. He will never know what being a soldier is like. He won't do more than 10 push ups a day in boot camp. U.S. Air Force priority = is the coffee hot and are the donuts fresh. They always have a bed to sleep in, a shower to wash, and a latrine to flush.

How can you tell when a recruiter is lying?
His mouth is moving.

My recruiter was honest but I met a lot of people through my service who had less than great experiences. It’s like most people you meet in life. A lot are good, some are dishonest, some are monsters. Some people were promised cush duty assignments, told they would get to play golf on the weekends in basic training, promises of high paying jobs after leaving the service. I’ve also seen many patients now as a doctor who had bad experience with recruiters (even coerced into sex), and many who were raped in basic training or during their service.

Regarding your question about jobs, if you sign a contract to do a certain job, unless there is some extenuating circumstances like you mentioned, you most likely will get what you sign up for. He should talk to people who are in the military doing that specific job now to see what it is really like. The recruiter is not likely to know a lot of details and might be prone to bullshitting.

@Phr3121 is right regarding the AF. It’s be far the nicest/cushest branch of service.

Some people were promised cush duty assignments, told they would get to play golf on the weekends in basic training, promises of high paying jobs after leaving the service. I’ve also seen many patients now as a doctor who had bad experience with recruiters (even coerced into sex), and many who were raped in basic training or during their service.

Shit! Was that in the U.S. Air Force?

People don't always read everything they sign and then later on they blame that issue on someone, and in these cases it's their recruiter. In the Marine Corps when we enlist with a contract you give them types of jobs you want, but not specific jobs. For instance I wanted to become an Amtrac Operator, and that job is 1833. But it falls under the umbrella of 1800 type specialties, so there's other types of jobs in that 1800 field and one of them was Tanks (1812). I also had to pick two other job types and one was Field Artillery (0800) and the other was Anti-Air Warfare (7200). So the Marine Corps could have put me in any job which fell under those fields, but I got my first choice which was 1800. Since you can't pick a specific job in that field I ended up with Tanks rather than Amtracs. I was pissed for a while, but my contract never said 1833 and instead said 1800.

Overall the military is what you make of it just like anything else. Lots of tough times but so many great times as well...so many great people and many of whom I still converse with routinely.

just make sure everything they say is written on paper. if it's not guaranteed on the contract, then it wont happen

People don't always read everything they sign and then later on they blame that issue on someone, and in these cases it's their recruiter. In the Marine Corps when we enlist with a contract you give them types of jobs you want, but not specific jobs. For instance I wanted to become an Amtrac Operator, and that job is 1833. But it falls under the umbrella of 1800 type specialties, so there's other types of jobs in that 1800 field and one of them was Tanks (1812). I also had to pick two other job types and one was Field Artillery (0800) and the other was Anti-Air Warfare (7200). So the Marine Corps could have put me in any job which fell under those fields, but I got my first choice which was 1800. Since you can't pick a specific job in that field I ended up with Tanks rather than Amtracs. I was pissed for a while, but my contract never said 1833 and instead said 1800.

Overall the military is what you make of it just like anything else. Lots of tough times but so many great times as well...so many great people and many of whom I still converse with routinely.
I think you lucked out. I rode in an AAV once and it was absolutely miserable.

I think you lucked out. I rode in an AAV once and it was absolutely miserable.

No doubt about it buddy! I spent some time with the Amtrac operators when we were on a MEU together and they were some of the most miserable Marines I ever met. Out here at Camp Lejuene they were stationed way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere and that gave way for their leadership to make their lives a living hell. Not to mention the amount of anit-rust maintenance on those things is a fucking nightmare.

I second that.

Our friend won't be seeing this in the U.S. Air Force. Merry Christmas to my Sherdog military brothers...

Shit! Was that in the U.S. Air Force?
Golf guy was in the AF.

I’ve seen several military sexual trauma patients at the VA from all branches.

The recruiter coercing the recruit for sex was AF. It involved some substance use that the recruiter encouraged her to lie about then later tried to blackmail her with. She reported him but I’m not sure what happened.

Golf guy was in the AF.

I’ve seen several military sexual trauma patients at the VA from all branches.

The recruiter coercing the recruit for sex was AF. It involved some substance use that the recruiter encouraged her to lie about then later tried to blackmail her with. She reported him but I’m not sure what happened.

its called dippinginto deppers (Delayed Entry Program) and recruiters from all services do it. Recruiting districts mainly have two concerns: 1) making quotas and 2) keeping the recruiter's cawks in their pants

I second that.

But hey, this kid is going into the U.S. Air Force. He will never know what being a soldier is like. He won't do more than 10 push ups a day in boot camp. U.S. Air Force priority = is the coffee hot and are the donuts fresh. They always have a bed to sleep in, a shower to wash, and a latrine to flush.

@Phr3121 is right regarding the AF. It’s be far the nicest/cushest branch of service.

I thought that is coast guard.

First AF is for pussies.

Second. The AF is going to have you do whatever it needs you to do. Collect the paycheck and benefits, get some life experience, meet some good people and reenlist or don't reenlist.

I would recommend any young man enlist because it gives you 4 years to grow as a person compared to the 18 year old going to college who doesn't really have a clue what they want to do in life and will probably party too much.

First AF is for pussies.

I would recommend any young man enlist because it gives you 4 years to grow as a person compared to the 18 year old going to college who doesn't really have a clue what they want to do in life and will probably party too much.

Well, when you are a soldier on the ground taking a pounding from the enemy, those Air Force airstrikes sure come in handy. From B-1 bombers to F-16 strikes, they sure came in handy. Scary shit, you are just hoping they hit the right target and not you. I stopped calling the Air Force 'pussies' after that.

Definitely agree with your second quote. 3 to 4 years to find out what you are made of. Your strong points and weak points. How you stack up against your peers. I surprised myself in some areas. I spent many years in the U.S. Army, some of the best years of my life. If you reach E-5 (Sergeant) or above, than you get to be in charge of other soldiers and learn what true leadership is all about. It stops being about you and revolves around others. Nothing like it in college or the civilian world.

I never got my 10k. But to be fair someone is on trial for improperly handing out bonuses...

I second that.

Now, I'm not getting into a D1ck-measuring contest with you, but it's not like that in the USAF. At least not for me it wasn't, and I was in Pharmacy.

Back