Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

My buddy just turned 30 and has two children and is a single dad so I've always been confused as to how he would want to re-enlist in a combat role.
some times you just gotta get your war on.

You're still here?

Wasn't talking to you was I?

'The school went from 68 days to 61 days'. NOPE.

Ok hero, tell me how long Ranger school is these days...

How did you go to OCS as a PFC?

Put in the application for it and got selected.

I actually talked with a vet friend of mine about why it seems the "stolen valor" type are always SEALs, Rangers, Green Berets, or Recon Marines.

Most Infantry guys go to Ranger school to get the tab, period. The majority of the graduates do not end up with the Ranger Battalion. They return to their units. The same cannot be said of U.S. Special Forces or U.S. Navy SEALs. Don't know about Recon Marines.

Most Infantry guys go to Ranger school to get the tab, period. The majority of the graduates do not end up with the Ranger Battalion. They return to their units. The same cannot be said of U.S. Special Forces or U.S. Navy SEALs. Don't know about Recon Marines.
To go to Recon school and the training involved my understanding is it is completely different than any other branch.

Every other branch you volunteer or ask to go (BUD/S, Ranger School, so on and so forth.)

Marines, you have to be selected is my understanding.

Every other branch you volunteer or ask to go (BUD/S, Ranger School, so on and so forth.)

U.S. Army Special Forces school and U.S. Navy SEAL school require so many years of commitment after you complete the training. You won't go to the school unless you sign the paperwork for the additional years of service. That is not the case with Ranger School. Like I mentioned before, Ranger school is a combat leadership course oriented toward small-unit tactics. You can just go to the school and return to your unit. When I went in 1992, you had to be Infantry (11B). Today any MOS can apply to go. You have male nurses going through the course, and now even the women can go.

To go to Recon school and the training involved my understanding is it is completely different than any other branch.

You can enlist to be an 0321 with a 5 year contract or volunteer during SOI.
If you enlist and quit though....needs of the Marine Corps places you in which MOS they see fit. Whereas if you volunteer and quit then you'll just go back to being normal infantry (0311/0331/0341/0351/0352).
You may be thinking of MarSOC. You have to have at least 3 years TIS and be an NCO (0372 Critical Skills Operator).

probably a bit late but as for the usage of WP in Iraq, i specifically remember doing 3 CDM's (chemical downwind message) when i was in Iraq. 2 were during Phantom Fury, and 1 was during some bullshit up in Narawa. Now that was odd to me because i had never, EVER done CDM before. Not in training, not in practice, not at all. I had to specifically get out my big book of procedures to even encode that shit. WP is literally the only thing i can think of, that would have a tasking order requesting an encoded CDM on an AO table unless somebody started slinging some NBC stuff around if THAT was the case im sure we would have heard about it.

So in short? im not saying we used WP in iraq because i sure as shit didnt SEE any getting used, but i certainly did a lot of paperwork that would indicate that at 3 points, we used something that was chemical in nature, effected by winds, easily dispersed, and whose effects lasted less than 6 hours

im-not-saying-it-was-willy-pete-but-it-was-willy-pete.jpg
That meme

Fair enough.

I was too fat to serve coming out of high school so I supposed I wouldn't 100% understand.
Where else is he getting that kind of pay check and healthcare for those kids.

When did he have time to get a business degree ehile doing grunt shit?
He's a shift head or manager for their collections department in SLC.

Working full time, going to school, and raising two kids all solo.

We do run SFAS (selection) almost every month, which you volunteer for, are screened, then selected if you make it to the end and don't fail the board at which happens often enough.

Ranger school, it's a tough junior leadership school.. that PFCs, SPC, and 2LTs pass in routinely pass in 62 days. Something to be proud of but to be honest that tab doesn't mean allot to me anymore I've met plenty of officers and enlisted that were tactically unsound and poor leaders but had ranger tabs.

Stolen valor on SOWT??? We're talking special operations weather teams, right? The air force guys? That's hilarious... "Yeah I was a tactical weather guy NBD, flew some balloons, checked the density altitude for ballistics for the snipes"

It's a unique job, it's a cool job, they support allot of different units, just don't see why you'd bullshit that as your stolen valor thing. Go big, covert agent for the agency and you can't talk about but it's pretty cool.

If you enlist and quit though....needs of the Marine Corps places you in which MOS they see fit. Whereas if you volunteer and quit then you'll just go back to being normal infantry

Good point. Same for the U.S. Army. You do have guys that try many times before they make it through U.S. Special Forces and U.S. Navy SEAL training. You also have the one's that are taken out of the course for injury and other medical reasons. The issue is getting orders (money) to come back a second or third time. Also, medical/injury recycles in Ranger school are common. Some guys have taken up to 10 months to complete a 2 month course. Very few graduate from Ranger school without recycling at least once. Broken bones (leg) can take you out for a few months. You are still in the school and getting paid though. Those female Rangers that graduated recycled every phase of the course. There were exceptions made for the women that were not made for the men. Total bullshit in my opinion.

Ranger school, it's a tough junior leadership school.. that PFCs, SPC, and 2LTs pass in routinely pass in 62 days. Something to be proud of but to be honest that tab doesn't mean allot to me anymore I've met plenty of officers and enlisted that were tactically unsound and poor leaders but had ranger tabs.

Could not agree more. A Ranger tabbed soldier is held to a higher standard. You can be a tab 'wearer' or a tab 'bearer'. My experience has been that very few graduate on those 61 days without a recycle. You got Captains and Majors going through it also. (No rank in Ranger school) Not too common, but they are there. You are absolutely right. You have great soldiers who are tabbed Rangers and also 'shit' soldiers who are tabbed Rangers. Both Officers and NCOs. Shit ones are not too common in my opinion. Plus, I saw great soldiers that did not make it through Ranger school and shit ones who did. Some of the best soldiers I worked with were not Rangers. Only difference between a Ranger Infantry soldier and a regular Infantry soldier is that the Ranger went through a small-unit tactics school without much food and sleep. There is nothing hard about what they teach you. Coming from the Infantry I already knew most of what they thought us. You have the answers to the test going in. The hard part is the no food and sleep, being hot, cold, and wet. It's a mental game.

I'm a former Marine so I get confused with this Ranger stuff.
Ranger school is the leader ship course for anyone and you get a tab?
RASP is a selection course to BECOME a actual Army Ranger in the 75th Ranger regiment right? Do both get to be actually call Rangers or just the guys that make the Battalion?

RASP is a selection course to BECOME a actual Army Ranger in the 75th Ranger regiment right? Do both get to be actually call Rangers or just the guys that make the Battalion?
Correct.
If you haven't gone through RASP (or RIP before that) and aren't in the 75th, you aren't a Ranger. "The tab is a school, the scroll is a way of life."

That's right. This is why guys from Ranger Batt get a little salty when someone who is only tabbed refers to themselves as a Ranger, in actuality they're Ranger qualified.

'Ranger' tab. Earned after completion of Ranger school - Left shoulder.

Rangers in the U.S. Army are 'leaders' in regular Army line units. Rangers with duty in the 75th Ranger Regiment are 'special operations'. You need a 'scroll' to be considered an operator (black tab). The 'scroll' is a unit patch worn on the left shoulder. Combat patch on the right shoulder. Ranger 'sandwich' if you wear both.

Wasn't talking to you was I?

Put in the application for it and got selected.

Your trolling is noted for posterity.

Hilarious that you thought that's what I was addressing. Lastly it's hilarious that you continue to try to tell a bunch of dudes who were actually in the military what the military is all about.

Rangers in the U.S. Army are 'leaders' in regular Army line units. Rangers with duty in the 75th Ranger Regiment are 'special operations'. You need a 'scroll' to be considered an operator (black tab). The 'scroll' is a unit patch worn on the left shoulder. Combat patch on the right shoulder. Ranger 'sandwich' if you wear both.

Bro, we can google too.

At what stage are you clear to scream "Ranger" every time you scratch your balls?

Back