Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Did you ever encounter the Pogey Bird during Ranger school?

You know about the 'pogey birds' or 'chow birds'? There is a whole history behind that. Yes, we had them during the Florida phase. They were Huey helicopters when I went through.

They still use Huey’s for security and rescue at ICBM bases.

They still use Huey’s for security and rescue at ICBM bases.

Even though the Gulf war ended in 1991, I think some of the Ft. Rucker Black Hawk helicopters were on their way back to the U.S. in 1992. A lot of Black Hawk helicopters made their way to Saudi Arabia in 1990-91. To me, Hueys were always more fun to ride than the Black Hawks.

I was talking with my counselor (he is a retired Gunny) this morning about how a friend and I are planning a trip to Phuket to train at a local gym and party for a few weeks this winter. He got all excited and wished he was 20 years younger so he could go. It was a good way to end the session. Stay strong brothers.

Memories... beautiful memories

What was that all about? Do you guys in the Corps hang your 'laundry' out in public for everyone to hear and see? Why not take it indoors in a closed door office? Not very professional from an NCO point of view...

Last edited:
What was that all about? Do you guys in the Corps hang your 'laundry' out in public for everyone to hear and see? Why not take it indoors in a closed door office? Not very professional from an NCO point of view...

No idea what the context was but shit like that happens all the damn time.

MAAAANNNN!!! He got SMOKED! I've been witness to it in the AF, but it was behind closed doors.

As with any service, you did NOT want to be the person called on the carpet...

I would never talk to any of my subordinates like that in public and neither would any of my NCOs. That is a closed door room situation. Now, if it was a school environment like basic training, OCS, or Ranger school, no problem. Looks like the guy doing all the yelling is loving the attention he is getting from bystanders.

@Rozko
This was one of the better Change of Command speeches I heard in my career in the U.S. Army. The 'civility' part really stuck with me.
-
MIAMI, Oct. 20, 2006.

On his first full day as a combatant commander, Navy Adm. James G. Stavridis today thanked his new "shipmates" for an "absolutely superb" change of command and told them what he expects of them.

I am deeply grateful and happy to be here at the United States Southern Command. The SOUTHCOM Area Of Responsibility is one that has always fascinated me, and I am excited to be a part of this fine team!

The world is moving fast. As we work together over the next few years to face today's and tomorrow's challenges, I want to provide a handful of character traits that I'd like us collectively to embody in this combatant command. I also want to share my "Top Four" command focus areas with you. The traits and the "Top Four" are fundamental to my
approach, and I think they will serve us well in the years ahead. I do not anticipate changing them.

Character Traits - If we all strive to make these a part of our individual characters, they will become SOUTHCOM's defining organizational characteristics.

- Civility: Be kind. Share credit. And keep your sense of humor! Above all, please don't lose your temper - it only clouds your judgment and diminishes performance of everyone around you. I will not raise my voice in anger at any point in this tour, and I ask you to take the same approach.

- Quiet Confidence: Work to establish a superb reputation through deeds and our low-key professionalism. Be calm and steady always, without overselling, bragging, or letting ego become part of the equation.

- Creativity: Be a sparkplug. Always ask the question, "How can I do this better?" Send your ideas forward constantly. Think your way through problems by innovating.

- Teamwork & collaboration: Work together. What we do requires collaboration across staff sections, areas of expertise and organizational boundaries. We are far more effective working as a team than as individuals.

- Determination: I respect people with true grit. It's easy to shine when everything goes your way, but the true measure of a professional can be found in observing how one reacts to and overcomes failure. Never, never give up.

- Honesty and Integrity: Don't ever do anything that violates law or regulation. Tell the truth unflinchingly. Above all, these two qualities must define our team.

"Top Four"- Everything I do personally will be measured against these top four command focus areas. I will be developing assessment metrics and clear goals that align with them, and my intention is to divide my time equally between the four areas.

- Serve our People: Leadership at every level must focus on caring for and empowering our people. In particular, think about recruitment, retention and advancements. By carefully managing them, we can do the most to contribute to the quality of life and service of our people.

- Innovate to Improve: An organization that is stagnant and accepts the "status quo" approach is flawed. In our business, this can literally be a lethal failure. Our combatant command should strive constantly to invent new approaches in every area -- from tactical execution in operations to more efficient training methodology to creative ways to improve retention. I intend to solicit ideas constantly from each of you that we can turn into actionable initiatives.

- Conduct Operations: There is no accurate way to predict exactly where or when we will be called upon to undertake operations in our geographic area of responsibility. We must always be ready to conduct prompt and sustained operations as directed by national authorities -- wherever and whenever needed. We must be well and truly ready when called.

- Plan for Contingencies: Our ability to coherently plan for certain contingencies is fundamental to our ability to succeed. We must think through what is needed for major contingencies in our area of responsibility and then be ready to execute on order, continuously adapting plans to address actual conditions. An excellent planning process should be central to our organizational ethos.

Our mission is critical. I will work hard for you and alongside you in fulfilling it. I believe in a conversational style of command, and I will be actively soliciting your ideas on how we can best contribute to the security of our nation.

I look forward to meeting each of you soon, and working with you at SOUTHCOM.

J. Stavridis
Admiral, US Navy
Commander

Last edited:
I would never talk to any of my subordinates like that in public and neither would any of my NCOs. That is a closed door room situation. Now, if it was a school environment like basic training, OCS, or Ranger school, no problem. Looks like the guy doing all the yelling is loving the attention he is getting from bystanders.
Mine have. When I was a PL, we had a few soldiers that caused their fair share of trouble. Showing up late, missing equipment, occasionally would still be drunk in the morning from the night before, etc. I had a few bulldog NCOs that would take care of the problem. Smoke the ever-living dogshit out of the guy, make him chug water while working out, forcing him to sweat and puke the alcohol out of his system sort of thing. Honestly, I supported this kind of corrective training rather than go the written counseling route that leads to UCMJ, demotions, and loss of pay. It works much faster, the lesson lasts much longer, and I don't want to be the guy fucking with people's money. I'd much rather an NCO correct his Soldier, training him to be reliable and effective, rather than do a paperwork exercise.

on deployments now, they give higher ups in the CO and BN BSM or MSM.....

so while lower enlisted are lucky enough to get a NAM/AAM or god fobid a Commendation Medal, them dudes stay stacking them up
on another note, has anyone ever even seen an Arcom w/ Valor device?

sounds like a demoting medal thing, like the person should've got a BSM or SS but they didn't have that rank to warrant it

also, I found a M9 (or whatever the Marine's 9mm handgun is) on top of a toilet in the showers in Afghanistan

two hours later some USMC 1LT came slinking in to retrieve his weapon, one of the funniest things ive ever witnessed

on deployments now, they give higher ups in the CO and BN BSM or MSM.....

so while lower enlisted are lucky enough to get a NAM/AAM or god fobid a Commendation Medal, them dudes stay stacking them up
on another note, has anyone ever even seen an Arcom w/ Valor device?

sounds like a demoting medal thing, like the person should've got a BSM or SS but they didn't have that rank to warrant it
ARCOM was the standard for E-6 and below and O-1/O-2, while BSM was the standard for E-7+ and O-3+.

Yes, saw an ARCOM w/V. PSG got one when he was an E-6. The way he tells it, he didn't do a damn thing except pull security next to his buddy, but you never know. BSM w/ V are pretty hard to get, given who needs to sign off on them. That's the difference. Different awards have different approval ratings, which is why you actually need to put in some work to get a BSM or above. ARCOM gets approved at the BDE/REGT/GRP CDR level.

ARCOM was the standard for E-6 and below and O-1/O-2, while BSM was the standard for E-7+ and O-3+.

Yes, saw an ARCOM w/V. PSG got one when he was an E-6. The way he tells it, he didn't do a damn thing except pull security next to his buddy, but you never know. BSM w/ V are pretty hard to get, given who needs to sign off on them. That's the difference. Different awards have different approval ratings, which is why you actually need to put in some work to get a BSM or above. ARCOM gets approved at the BDE/REGT/GRP CDR level.
the Marines are even crazier, it's routinely common to see a CPL (combat arms MOS) w/o even so much as a NAM (which the Army generally gives for any deployment, or even a tour/PCS award)

I recommended 15 Marines for JSAMs while deployed, they were attached to us in Kabul, even wrote the citations and everything. They only approved 5 to get one though....damn son

Mine have. When I was a PL, we had a few soldiers that caused their fair share of trouble. I had a few bulldog NCOs that would take care of the problem. Smoke the ever-living dogshit out of the guy.

Yeah, I think we all had good solid E-6s and E-7s that would do that, just not in front of everyone else (to include civilians). You could still hear the shouting and screaming from outside the door. I think what the video above portrays is unprofessional (in public) on the NCOs part. Than again, my time as a PL is ancient.

Yeah, I think we all had good solid E-6s and E-7s that would do that, just not in front of everyone else (to include civilians). You could still hear the shouting and screaming from outside the door. I think what the video above portrays is unprofessional (in public) on the NCOs part. Than again, my time as a PL is ancient.
Taking a guy out back to scream instead of doing it in the CO or BN HQ is pretty professional. Taking him outside from the barracks to do a screaming session is pretty professional as well. Those seem to be the two most likely spots where this event happened, based on what I can see here. The painted steps and rope near the grass suggest it, and I don't see any civilians around. This looks like unit business happening at the unit. It would have been unprofessional to yell like that inside the BN HQ or at the CQ desk, so taking the young trooper outside to lambast him seems like a reasonable decision to not disrupt the work or training of everyone else. Context matters though, and it's hard to determine that context from this video. Based on only what I can see here, I think those NCOs were probably making a reasonable choice.

the Marines are even crazier, it's routinely common to see a CPL (combat arms MOS) w/o even so much as a NAM (which the Army generally gives for any deployment, or even a tour/PCS award)

I recommended 15 Marines for JSAMs while deployed, they were attached to us in Kabul, even wrote the citations and everything. They only approved 5 to get one though....damn son
NAMs get handed out like candy outside of combat arms (especially female NCOs). A female NCO without one is probably rarer than a CWO5.

Back