MILE 22 Starring Mark Wahlberg, Iko Uwais, Ronda Rousey (20% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

Interesting. I thought the movie industry had pretty much completely turned its back on Rousey.

Interesting. I thought the movie industry had pretty much completely turned its back on Rousey.

This was a pretty longstanding commitment. I thought I heard her role got written down after the Holly implosion as well.

This was a pretty longstanding commitment. I thought I heard her role got written down after the Holly implosion as well.

Hmm. Commitments didn't seen to keep the Roadhouse deal from being pulled. (I presume it's been pulled. Haven't heard anything about it in months.)

It will be interesting to see what else happens with her. It's entirely possible, I think, that her newfound WWE fame could re-kickstart interest in her from Hollywood and other entities.

how can she get roles as some bad ass when she bailed out of the game after Amanda beated the shit out of her

Gina had a different public persona though.

She did, but I still think people are have always been willing to give Gina a pass in a way that they won't do for Rousey.

Hell, at least Rousey came back after the Holly loss and tried one more time. It just took one loss for Gina to knock her out of the sport for all time.

KpjQFeP.jpg
I must say its kinda sad for an athletic woman of her caliber thats never had kids to have those kind of hips. She didnt used to be that big, I wonder what happened? Shes approaching Gina levels of big. Looked better recently in WWE.

She did, but I still think people are have always been willing to give Gina a pass in a way that they won't do for Rousey.

Hell, at least Rousey came back after the Holly loss and tried one more time. It just took one loss for Gina to knock her out of the sport for all time.

Fair enough but Gina's biggest opponent was her weight cut. And while Cyborg beat her fairly badly she had her moments and wasn't brutally ko'd.

I don't know dude, it just feels like a poor comparison. If Rousey hadn't fought again there would be the question if it was an off night or if she could do better etc.

Fair enough but Gina's biggest opponent was her weight cut. And while Cyborg beat her fairly badly she had her moments and wasn't brutally ko'd.

I don't know dude, it just feels like a poor comparison. If Rousey hadn't fought again there would be the question if it was an off night or if she could do better etc.

It doesn't feel like a poor comparison to me at all. I remember having money on Gina when she fought Cyborg and at no point after the first 2 minutes did I have hope I was going to walk away richer than I started. She got dominated 90% of the fight and the other 10% she didn't look like she was just about to win or anything.

I actually think it's the perfect comparison. Both were popular female fighters who were undefeated and looked unstoppable before finally taking a loss. And then when they took that loss, they both reacted incredibly poorly.

It doesn't feel like a poor comparison to me at all. I remember having money on Gina when she fought Cyborg and at no point after the first 2 minutes did I have hope I was going to walk away richer than I started. She got dominated 90% of the fight and the other 10% she didn't look like she was just about to win or anything.

I actually think it's the perfect comparison. Both were popular female fighters who were undefeated and looked unstoppable before finally taking a loss. And then when they took that loss, they both reacted incredibly poorly.

The promotion of Gina and Ronda aren't comparable. Gina was a chick who could really fight and Ronda was supposed to be some inhuman athlete or something.

Gina had mount at one point and that's having a moment in my book but that's not that I disagree with your assessment. Ronda however was completely helpless in there two fights in a row; it's that's after she's been marketed as someone who was absolutely unstoppable and could easily compete with elite level men. It's way different outside of them being the faces of WMMA and wanting to be actors.

Gina is also of comparable beauty to actresses which helps.

She can dodge bullets with her HEAD MOVEMENT! HEAD MOVEMENT! HEAD MOVEMENT!

The promotion of Gina and Ronda aren't comparable. Gina was a chick who could really fight and Ronda was supposed to be some inhuman athlete or something.

Gina had mount at one point and that's having a moment in my book but that's not that I disagree with your assessment. Ronda however was completely helpless in there two fights in a row; it's that's after she's been marketed as someone who was absolutely unstoppable and could easily compete with elite level men. It's way different outside of them being the faces of WMMA and wanting to be actors.

Gina is also of comparable beauty to actresses which helps.

If you really feel like Gina did appreciably better against Cyborg then Ronda did against Holly, then we'll just disagree. I mean, okay, she got less a little less dominated. And yes, Ronda got crushed by Amanda, but at least she came back to fight again. Gina just took her ball and went home.

I'll agree that the marketing around Ronda was more aggressive in terms of making out her to be this invincible machine. But anyone who was around then remembers there also being a sense around Gina of "who's going to beat this girl?" Until Cyborg came along Gina was just going in there and beating people up and making it look easy.

In any case, I'm not sure that marketing Gina as LESS CAPABLE as a fighter somehow translates into making more MORE BELIEVEABLE as an action star.

Hmm. Commitments didn't seen to keep the Roadhouse deal from being pulled. (I presume it's been pulled. Haven't heard anything about it in months.)

It will be interesting to see what else happens with her. It's entirely possible, I think, that her newfound WWE fame could re-kickstart interest in her from Hollywood and other entities.

Well, things like Road House and Do Nothing Bitches were really speculative and heavily Ronda-driven concepts. Mile 22 is seemingly just a Wahlberg movie that she is featured in.

Ugh, does she have lines? Tell me she just plays the silent strong type.

Not gonna watch it anyways. Whalberg sucks

If you really feel like Gina did appreciably better against Cyborg then Ronda did against Holly, then we'll just disagree. I mean, okay, she got less a little less dominated. And yes, Ronda got crushed by Amanda, but at least she came back to fight again. Gina just took her ball and went home.

I'll agree that the marketing around Ronda was more aggressive in terms of making out her to be this invincible machine. But anyone who was around then remembers there also being a sense around Gina of "who's going to beat this girl?" Until Cyborg came along Gina was just going in there and beating people up and making it look easy.

In any case, I'm not sure that marketing Gina as LESS CAPABLE as a fighter somehow translates into making more MORE BELIEVEABLE as an action star.

Has nothing to do with being believable; it's the effect on the fighters reputation when they lose.

I was witness to Gina's entire MMA career and it was very clear to me Cyborg was too dangerous for most women and "maybe Gina had a shot at being the one to beat her." Not the other way around. I could take Ronda a bit more seriously when they were discussing a fight because at least she had superior grappling.

Sort of underhanded to proclaim the "anyone around then" stuff. You alright man?

Has nothing to do with being believable; it's the effect on the fighters reputation when they lose.

The question that started this whole conversation was, "How can Ronda get roles as some bad ass when she bailed out of the game after Amanda beated the shit out of her."

And my point with all of this is that it makes no more (or less) sense to take Gina seriously as a bad ass in films than Ronda. That's especially true since if they were to actually fight there's little doubt that Ronda would fuck Gina up.

And yet, nevertheless, Gina has actually managed to carve out a decent on-screen career for herself.

I was witness to Gina's entire MMA career and it was very clear to me Cyborg was too dangerous for most women and "maybe Gina had a shot at being the one to beat her." Not the other way around. I could take Ronda a bit more seriously when they were discussing a fight because at least she had superior grappling.

Sort of underhanded to proclaim the "anyone around then" stuff. You alright man?

I said:

"But anyone who was around then remembers there also being a sense around Gina of "who's going to beat this girl?" Until Cyborg came along Gina was just going in there and beating people up and making it look easy."

Note the "until Cyborg came along." Gina was fighting in Strikeforce for a few years before Cyborg was even known by most American MMA fans. Who did you tap to beat Gina during that time? Or were you following Cyborg even when she was still fighting in Brazil?

The question that started this whole conversation was, "How can Ronda get roles as some bad ass when she bailed out of the game after Amanda beated the shit out of her."

And my point with all of this is that it makes no more (or less) sense to take Gina seriously as a bad ass in films than Ronda. That's especially true since if they were to actually fight there's little doubt that Ronda would fuck Gina up.

And yet, nevertheless, Gina has actually managed to carve out a decent on-screen career for herself.

I said:

"But anyone who was around then remembers there also being a sense around Gina of "who's going to beat this girl?" Until Cyborg came along Gina was just going in there and beating people up and making it look easy."

Note the "until Cyborg came along." Gina was fighting in Strikeforce for a few years before Cyborg was even known by most American MMA fans. Who did you tap to beat Gina during that time? Or were you following Cyborg even when she was still fighting in Brazil?

No, I wasn't following Cyborg's fights in Brasil.

You're talking about dream matches from over a decade ago; I don't remember. Gina was elite but she wasn't destroying everything she touched and she wasn't marketed as such. What was she fighting in Strikeforce for a year before Cyborg was out there wrecking chicks?

The difference is Ronda made a fool of herself, well before her losses with the silly marketing, and Gina didn't and it's that simple. Gina is also more attractive which counts in the film business.

You're talking about dream matches from over a decade ago; I don't remember. Gina was elite but she wasn't destroying everything she touched and she wasn't marketed as such. What was she fighting in Strikeforce for a year before Cyborg was out there wrecking chicks?

Gina only had a couple of years in terms of a head start on Cyborg but it was enough, I think, to cement herself in the mind's of MMA fans. I remember following her for what seems like a decent amount of time before Cyborg came along and then it was like "a challenger appears."

The difference is Ronda made a fool of herself, well before her losses with the silly marketing, and Gina didn't and it's that simple. Gina is also more attractive which counts in the film business.

I think that Ronda's a tragically misunderstood figure, but I understand why a lot of people don't like her.

Gina only had a couple of years in terms of a head start on Cyborg but it was enough, I think, to cement herself in the mind's of MMA fans. I remember following her for what seems like a decent amount of time before Cyborg came along and then it was like "a challenger appears."

For what it's worth, I was aware of both at the time and it seemed pretty likely that Carano was being sent to slaughter.

I think that Ronda's a tragically misunderstood figure, but I understand why a lot of people don't like her.

In what way is she misunderstood?

Back