Mikkel Kessler Ring Return in Play For World Boxing Super Series

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Team Sauerland stage a press conference tomorrow at an upscale hotel in Copenhagen, Denmark, to announce "big news for Danish boxing". And the big news is according to Danish media that the Viking Warrior, Mikkel Kessler (46-3, 35 KOs), is coming back apparently to be one of the participants in the World Boxing Super Series that will begin this fall.

The now 38-year old Kessler officially announced his retirement early 2015 but his last fight dates back to May 25, 2013, when he fought Carl Froch for the second time and lost on points after another classic battle. Whether or not Kessler is coming back at super middleweight or light heavyweight is another good question. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/mikkel-k...ing-super-series--115121#sthash.UNJY3Gt3.dpuf

So a gimme for someone.

I can't imagine Kessler has anything left.

He was breaking down due to injuries & never having a defence six years ago. Please stay retired, Mikkel. Go get a new tat or something.

also, aren't the guys participating in this tournament supposed to be ranked by one of the four major rankign bodies? I don't think any of them have Kessler ranked

also, aren't the guys participating in this tournament supposed to be ranked by one of the four major rankign bodies? I don't think any of them have Kessler ranked

They'll make exceptions.

They'll make exceptions.
ugh, well I was hoping a guy like kessler wouldn't be one of them

IDK if this is at 168 or 175 but I don't like his odds at either. Which sucks, cause I'd have picked a prime Kessler over anybody at 168 today and quite a few 175ers.

ugh, well I was hoping a guy like kessler wouldn't be one of them

IDK if this is at 168 or 175 but I don't like his odds at either. Which sucks, cause I'd have picked a prime Kessler over anybody at 168 today and quite a few 175ers.

Maybe over Badou Jack. I don't know. Jack is very consistent with his work. He's become one of my favourite fighters. I thought just about nothing of him before he fought Dirrell and all he's done is prove me wrong time after time since then. DeGale wouldn't be an easy fight for him, either. Ward, Kovalev, and at least Beterbiev beat Kessler, I think.

How good was Kessler? Not very familiar with him. Only seen his fight with Calzaghe. Read that he has had his share of injuries but that he was a decent fighter before those. Any idea why is he coming back at that age? Financial problems or just has a passion for the sport?

Maybe over Badou Jack. I don't know. Jack is very consistent with his work. He's become one of my favourite fighters. I thought just about nothing of him before he fought Dirrell and all he's done is prove me wrong time after time since then. DeGale wouldn't be an easy fight for him, either. Ward, Kovalev, and at least Beterbiev beat Kessler, I think.
yeah, I don't think DeGale or Jack (or even Ramirez) would be easy fights, but I think I'd pick him to beat them all. At his best, Kessler was a very good outboxer with a strong jab, good countering skills, fast feet, good power, and a pretty strong chin (sadly, early Kessler was a bit of a tin man, it was only after he was past his best that he found his heart). He generally threw at a pretty solid rate too. Jack has good bodywork, but he can be a bit sloppy sometimes and sometimes he leaves himself to be countered. I think Mikkel would outpoint him in a close but clear fight, I don't see Jack getting to him regularly (though I think Jack's better stamina would have him taking the last few rounds). Kessler also doesn't have much of an inside game so if Jack takes it there he'll definitely have the upper hand, but at the end of the day I think Kessler (at his best) was a little too fast on his feet and a little too good at countering and outfighting to lose that one. Remember, prime Kessler was giving Calzaghe all he could handle for the first half of their fight and actually outworked and arguably outfought Froch in their first encounter.

DeGale is creative with his offense, but his stamina isn't great and he leaves his hands down too much for my liking, leaves him open to counters quite a bit. I could see DeGale shoeshining something here or there but generally I think he gets outworked, with his head snapped back every time he lets his hands down and a difficult time consistently getting to Kessler.

Ward spanks him (again, though it might be a tad closer this time, as in 119-109 instead of 120-108), Kovalev puts his lights out, Stevenson probably gets a KO (though I could see Adonis taking that one), and Beterbiev beats him. The rest I favor Kessler in (Barrera is probably 50-50 for me).

How good was Kessler? Not very familiar with him. Only seen his fight with Calzaghe. Read that he has had his share of injuries but that he was a decent fighter before those. Any idea why is he coming back at that age? Financial problems or just has a passion for the sport?
Kessler was at his best the last few fights before Calzaghe imo. He was never the best of the best, but he has heart, was very good at a few things and a chin. A moment in time he did look like he could have reached the absolute top. I think one of his best performances was against Andrade. His fights with Froch, especially the first one, was very entertaining as well.

Honestly he's had so many injuries by now. Hope they give him gimmie fights, don't want to see him back at this stage.

Either way, good luck to him!

Last edited:
Hmmm. He was a bad dude back in the day. I just think hes probably to far past it. I didnt think he looked to hot in the froch rematch and that was 4 years ago. Good back and forth fight but in his prime i always felt kessler was superior to Froch. And no way can he compete with the top 175ers today. Absolutely no way.

Its a name. Brings viewers. Looks good and better than it is on a young guys resume. Nice tie in to the old Super Six. Maybe draws in some more names who smell blood in the water.
I like it.

Well, you really should watch his fights with Froch. Very good fights.

Loved his fights. The viking had mad heart and chin.

I really hope he's not broke though and that's why he's coming back.

You get $1 million to JOIN the tournament.

Win or lose, Kessler gets paid $1M

If Jacobs moves up then him vs Kessler would be fun.

Back