Mikey or GGG: Who is better P4P?

Better P4P

• Total voters

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If you think GGG has slipped a little, then consider prime GGG.

(can't figure out how to insert a poll).

hmmm, that's tough. I think GGG has slipped enough that Mikey has overtaken him, but they're around the same P4P tier IMO.

I have it:

Tier 1:
1. TC
2. Loma
3. SSR

Tier 2:
4. Usyk

Tier 3:
5. Mikey
6. GGG
7. Inoue

hmmm, that's tough. I think GGG has slipped enough that Mikey has overtaken him, but they're around the same P4P tier IMO.

I have it:

Tier 1:
1. TC
2. Loma
3. SSR

Tier 2:
4. Usyk

Tier 3:
5. Mikey
6. GGG
7. Inoue

Man a simple two line posts and the first responder still doesn't read it!

:confused:

Subjective.

GGG had a great spree of KO's and has been unifying along the way. He was the most avoided fighter until he decisioned Jacobs and slipped a bit the past year and a half.

Mikey has moved around weight classes a bit, and has fought well so I can see why he has a case for himself.

I can see a case for both, but I would lean to GGG. Again, subjective answers here.

I'd have GGG above Mikey for the simple reason that I thought he beat both Jacobs and Canelo. Those are two massive scalps that Garcia doesn't have on his resume.

Man a simple two line posts and the first responder still doesn't read it!

:confused:
Make a more elaborate post that still answers the question and the OP still can't figure it out. Jeez, what a time to be alive!

Mikey has fought better opponents at more weight classes and looked better doing it.

I think GGG has looked very vulnerable against elite calibre opponents. And if you remove Jacobs with the "not prime" caveat then he definitely has a weak resume.

Make a more elaborate post that still answers the question and the OP still can't figure it out. Jeez, what a time to be alive!

I said: "If you think GGG has slipped a little, then consider prime GGG." You immediately consider current GGG, while acknowledging he has slipped. Odd.

So you just mean who is the higher quality fighter, not who is higher in a p4p ranking, right? Garcia has traversed 4 weight classes now, and probably has the more versatile skillset. He hasn't been in any drawish fights, either. It's tough to really place Golovkin accurately as we didn't see him against genuine top level fighters until he was a bit long in the tooth. When he did face that caliber, he had two drawish fights.

If we're talking total skillset with both men at their optimal weight, Garcia is the more versatile fighter. That's not to say that Golovkin wasn't versatile, as his jab allowed to still have success against elite fighters even after they neutralized his other gifts, but we have found out that his offensive skillset has its limits against good defensive fighters. Versatility isn't the be all end all of boxing, though, and Garcia has yet to prove himself against a genuinely elite opponent. A guy like Salido was good and Mikey was beating him soundly before the fight was stopped, but I struggle to ever rate Salido as elite at any point in his career. Same obviously goes for the likes of Broner and Easter Jr.. Good fighters, but certainly not elite. Garcia struggling with Easter Jr.'s jab at times was a bit worrying as he took longer to adjust to Easter than he should have, I though. Against a genuine top level talent, that indecision could cost him.

I think Garcia's mix of skill and power could have him placed as the better fighter assuming that both men are at their optimal weight. It's a really tough comparison to make in the first place, though, as it's tough to know how good Golovkin was in his prime, and it's tough to know how Garcia will fare against a genuinely elite opponent. Honestly, this is more of a style preference choice than anything for me and it's fairly easy to argue slightly one way or another for the time being.

I said: "If you think GGG has slipped a little, then consider prime GGG." You immediately consider current GGG, while acknowledging he has slipped. Odd.
I answered the question. I'm not going to assume prime GGG because prime GGG doesn't have the resume of today's GGG. If we're talking Dominic Wade era GGG vs today's Mikey, then yeah, it's definitely today's Mikey.

GGG at the moment.

Once Mikey starts fighting any of the names the Garcia's are throwing out, he'll be above him within 1-2 fights.

It's all been said above. Garcia is the more complete boxer and GGG arguably fought bigger names lately. I tend to favor the quality of opposition but I can see how Garcia's belts in multiple weight classes can impress more.

off topic but i will be in big bear tomorrow. gonna try to get an interview with ggg. i already have joe joyce and abel sanchez lined up. oh, and charles martin as well. i am also hoping jeff mayweather will give me an interview

Mikey is a great fighter but GGG doesn’t always get the credit for how good he is. And this is coming from the biggest Canelo fan in the world, not joking.

GGG imo

Garcia probably has the better resume overall.

Question is pound for pound. Mikey has won belts across a few weight classes, GGG has only won in one. Seems like Mikey is the answer.

I'd have GGG above Mikey for the simple reason that I thought he beat both Jacobs and Canelo. Those are two massive scalps that Garcia doesn't have on his resume.
Mikey’s best scalp is broner what a joke, he’s not even a has been he’s a never was then who? Easter? Lipinets a paper champ, that was the easiest route to that 4th weight belt should of fought Linares instead or shit what happened to him fighting Gamboa can you say duck. I mean to be elite you beat elite how can you even say he comes close to pfp with a sub par resume

Mikey’s best scalp is broner what a joke, he’s not even a has been he’s a never was then who? Easter? Lipinets a paper champ, that was the easiest route to that 4th weight belt should of fought Linares instead or shit what happened to him fighting Gamboa can you say duck. I mean to be elite you beat elite how can you even say he comes close to pfp with a sub par resume

I quite agree. I'd love to see how those claiming Garcia has the better resume justify it.

Canelo is almost like a mw Garcia and a old GGG was able to defeat him, so I say GGG

Back