Mikey Garcia

Thing is, there's more evidence to suggest Garcia is in that "frontrunner" mould than Lomachenko is. Illegal butt or not, he took the safe route out of the Salido fight when it was presented to him. We've yet to see Lomachenko really dig down deep yet and maybe he doesn't have it in him but he showed more tolerance for a sustained ball battering than any other boxer I've seen in recent memory.

Both of these guys win purely on skills, anyway. I doubt it'd come down to who has the greater resolve or will than the other.
I agree that Garcia may lack some heart, I've said it for a long time. I'm just not convinced Lomachenko would test it.

Thing is, there's more evidence to suggest Garcia is in that "frontrunner" mould than Lomachenko is. Illegal butt or not, he took the safe route out of the Salido fight when it was presented to him. We've yet to see Lomachenko really dig down deep yet and maybe he doesn't have it in him but he showed more tolerance for a sustained ball battering than any other boxer I've seen in recent memory.

Both of these guys win purely on skills, anyway. I doubt it'd come down to who has the greater resolve or will than the other.
good points in this post. I remember wondering why that wasnt a TKO loss for Garcia honestly

Loma beats the current Garcia would love to see that fight

This is an unfair criticism of Garcia about the Salido fight. Not sure if you guys spar,....but I can't imagine sparring without being able to breathe through my nose, let alone fight a professional bout. He was dominating Salido in every respect, he had nothing more to prove. Garcia has heart as well as a killer instinct (better than Loma in this regard).

That said...I think Lomachenko has plenty of heart as well. We're barking up the wrong tree by calling both these guys front runners, its a fight that will be decided purely on skill not on heart. Neither will quit like the axeman did. Not even close.

For what its worth, Alex Ariza is on record as saying that Mikey Garcia is the most fearless fighter he's ever worked with. Whatever you think about Ariza, he's been around a lot of fighters.

Loma needs to dance around Mikey Garcia like he always does. Mikey's biggest advantage would be his power and size. Mikey has got the IQ and skill set to make it a great fight

I'd wager Lomachenko wants him, but I doubt Arum offers him up anytime soon for various reasons (worried about riksing a cash cow and because he hates doing business with people who he fell out with).
Makes me wonder if Mikey will miss out on the biggest fights available for him because of that(Loma, Crawford).

Lomachenko would beat the brakes off Garcia, no ifs ands or buts.

The speed differential would be astounding to behold. Still, I'd watch the shit out of that fight.

Lomachenko would beat the brakes off Garcia, no ifs ands or buts.

The speed differential would be astounding to behold. Still, I'd watch the shit out of that fight.

Mikey Garcia has a 3 inch arm reach advantage over Loma. He has an exceptional jab, great skills, and tons of power. Not sure how you can say definitively that Loma beats the breaks off Garcia. Loma has never ever faced a combination of skill & power to this degree. He dominated Gary Russell because he's essentially a much better version of Gary Russell (similar styles), he lost to an old Salido in a fight where Loma showed abysmal body defense (Salido was tagging him to the body all day), Nicolas Walters always had overrated skills and in hindsight was a frontrunner judging by the way he quit.

Not saying Loma isn't great, but lets hold off on crowning him. While his resume is very good, it still tends to be exaggerated due to people getting excited about him picking so many tough fights to start his career. He can definitely be had, on a good night I can see Garcia stopping him with a liver shot.

Last edited:

I caught up to his last battle of chaos.....i salivated....this encounter shall paint the canvas with the poetry of life Mr Marc.

Mikey Garcia has a 3 inch arm reach advantage over Loma. He has an exceptional jab, great skills, and tons of power. Not sure how you can say definitively that Loma beats the breaks off Garcia. Loma has never ever faced a combination of skill & power to this degree. He dominated Gary Russell because he's essentially a much better version of Gary Russell (similar styles), he lost to an old Salido in a fight where Loma showed abysmal body defense (Salido was tagging him to the body all day), Nicolas Walters always had overrated skills and in hindsight was a frontrunner judging by the way he quit.

Not saying Loma isn't great, but lets hold off on crowning him. While his resume is very good, it still tends to be exaggerated due to people getting excited about him picking so many tough fights to start his career. He can definitely be had, on a good night I can see Garcia stopping him with a liver shot.

Well, his nut defense was lacking that's for sure.
We can revisit this IF/WHEN the fight ever gets made, but I do not see this as a competitive fight past the first couple of rounds.

We can revisit this IF/WHEN the fight ever gets made, but I do not see this as a competitive fight past the first couple of rounds.

Loma fans are really using the Salido low blows as a crutch. Were there low blows? Sure. But that's not why he lost the fight. He was getting worked with clean body shots. I think you're badly underestimating Garcia. Would love to see the fight, lets continue the discussion if it gets made.

Nut defense? What kind of technique is this?

Surely you've seen those 15th-16th century metal chastity belts Senri. You know the type made out of iron, and locked on to preserve one's goodies.

Don't be a fool, wrap up your tool. Who knows what ethereal planes you've been inside.

<24>

Mr Zapato, my beautiful flesh. It's been so long to hear your dendrites pulsate with the poetry of life. I am intrigued by the Nut Defense, is this the new Michigan style defense that will spark a new age of the elusive flesh?

My tools are coated with the essence of The Nexus, where the penetration awakens what has always been from within.

Mr Zapato, my beautiful flesh. It's been so long to hear your dendrites pulsate with the poetry of life. I am intrigued by the Nut Defense, is this the new Michigan style defense that will spark a new age of the elusive flesh?

My tools are coated with the essence of The Nexus, where the penetration awakens what has always been from within.

Pretty much. You toss a king crab in your trousers and hope like hell he knows which bits are yours and which belong to the other fella.

Pretty much. You toss a king crab in your trousers and hope like hell he knows which bits are yours and which belong to the other fella.

disgusting Mr Zapato.....No matter you are still delicious flesh...

I don't have a lot to back up the idea of him being a front runner, to be fair. Its just a feeling I get when I watch him fight. His style is based around being in control. I wonder what would happen if he fought a guy who was timing and countering him with good shots.

Well, this certainly does explain a lot. You always want to establish control and maintain it. When you lose it, get it back. That usually requires making adjustments either "on the fly" or later, say heading into the next round. I'm going to cut you a break and write this one up as being intoxicated, a brain fart, off your meds, something. We all have our off days, I guess.

Anyway, I don't wonder what would happen when he fights a guy that's timing him (this is difficult) and looking to counter with "good shots" because many of us, I presume, have seen this over the course of his amateur career, his WSB stint (6 semi-pro 5 rounders), and his fully recognized professional fights (7 were on HBO, 1 on SHO due to losing a purse bid to GB by a measly $2,500 in the Russell Jr. fight).

We don't even have to consider his amateur bouts, but, that is where he fought the best counter-punchers in the world, from all over the world at the highest level (WC's and Olympics in multiple divisions). He fought the best counter-puncher of his professional career in his last fight. Walters is a natural counter-puncher by trade. He's aggressive and will lead but he's really looking to counter you big and can do it with either hand and with a variety of shots from his punch selection. He likes to imitate the Mayweather pad work drill with his dad/trainer and use roll counters, the shoulder roll with the rock back and pull counter that naturally come off it. That works great against orthodox fighters but not against slick southpaws. Walters was trying to time him in order to counter the whole fight. He hit a lot of air, gloves, forearms, elbows and shoulder and ended up being the one getting out counter-punched. To beat a skilled counter-puncher, you need to know when to become the counter-puncher, and, if you're a pressure fighter (Lomachenko is), when to intelligently pressure without overcommitting. That was a masterclass of knowing when to pressure and countering the counter-puncher's attempts with single shots and with sharp combinations from every range.

Loma wanted to fight Rigondeaux after Rigo called him out. Rigondeaux is an elite counter-puncher and boxer in general, a real P4P talent (lately, not so much but we'll see against Flores). Loma gives you very little to even think about committing to a counter because he's always working off of angles against orthodox fighters. Even against southpaws he's working angles on the inside, changing his punching angles (he momentarily switches his stance and will shift) and getting to them on the outside when pivoting/hop-pivoting or sidestepping clockwise to their "weak side" occasionally. He's always looking to turn orthodox fighters (by stepping over their lead leg to turn the corner) and enter or escape through that backdoor and mix things up; give them different looks, throw different shots that aren't predictable or telegraphed, varied punch tempo (speed) and intensity (power), different types of feints with head and upper body movement, level changes, head fakes, everything. You won't catch him with more than a single punch at a time if you do successfully counter him during an exchange (simultaneous counter) or after he just finished throwing (subsequent counter).

Last edited:
Mikey is now recognized as the #1 ranked fighter in the Lightweight division by the TBRB after his latest win and is back in the P4P conversation. The Ring has him as their #1 rated Lightweight while Linares still holds their title.

Transnational Boxing Rankings Board updates

Latest Updates
24 January 2017: *** Lightweight sensation Mikey Garcia got off the shelf last July after a year and a half of inactivity and on Saturday night he scored a potential “Knockout of the Year” after a right hook knocked #2-ranked Dejan Zlaticanin cold in round 3. Zlaticanin slips to #7 and Raymundo Beltran is bumped out as Garcia enters the divisional rankings at #1. Garcia also enters the P4P List at #10, bumping out Juan Francisco Estrada.
http://www.tbrb.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back