Mikey Garcia vs Richard Commey purse bid in October 2nd

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The IBF purse bid scheduled to take place on Monday for the mandatory fight between unified lightweight world titleholder Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), 30, of Moreno Valley, California, and mandatory challenger Richard Commey (27-2, 24 KOs), 31, of Ghana, was postponed for one week at the request of the camps. The purse bid is now scheduled to take place on Oct. 2 at 12 p.m. ET at the IBF offices in Springfield, New Jersey. It remains to be seen if Garcia is willing to face Commey next since he has been campaigning for a much bigger fight against welterweight titlist Errol Spence Jr. The Garcia and Commey camps could still make a deal up to 15 minutes before the bids are unsealed. If Garcia goes for a different fight and the IBF belt is vacated, Commey would be ordered to face the unknown Isa Chaniev (13-1, 6 KOs), 25, of Russia, for title.

i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer

I’m not going to pretend to be a hardcore know-it-all boxing historian, and maybe Commey is actually a legit dude. All I know about him is that the only time he fought legit guys (Shafikov and Easter), he came up short.

I applaud Garcia for wanting to move up in the world and look for a bigger name / challenge, but I also want to see him active in his prime, instead of sitting out on the sidelines.

I’m not going to pretend to be a hardcore know-it-all boxing historian, and maybe Commey is actually a legit dude. All I know about him is that the only time he fought legit guys (Shafikov and Easter), he came up short.
I thought he beat both of those fighters. The Easter fight was close but was in the US so they gave it to Easter even tho I think Commey did enough but was too close to be called a robbery. Funny how you cannot find that fight anyway online apart from the highlights. Commey got robbed against Shafikov in Russia. He won that fight clearly. I think Commey is very underrated because he's from Ghana and doesn't have much of a following. It will take a lot to beat the likes of Mikey but its definitely a good match up. Better than almost everyone mikey has fought. If not all.

I thought he beat both of those fighters. The Easter fight was close but was in the US so they gave it to Easter even tho I think Commey did enough but was too close to be called a robbery. Funny how you cannot find that fight anyway online apart from the highlights. Commey got robbed against Shafikov in Russia. He won that fight clearly. I think Commey is very underrated because he's from Ghana and doesn't have much of a following. It will take a lot to beat the likes of Mikey but its definitely a good match up. Better than almost everyone mikey has fought. If not all.
Thank you for that I also had no idea who he was

Thank you for that I also had no idea who he was
Not sure if you're being sarcastic. I'm so used to sarcasm on this forum. If you're serious this is the highlights of one of his most recent fights against the undefeated Alejandro Luna. Most expected him to lose:

He trains in NewYork with Danny Jacobs team.

Garcia will probably vacate that title.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. I'm so used to sarcasm on this forum. If you're serious this is the highlights of one of his most recent fights against the undefeated Alejandro Luna. Most expected him to lose:

He trains in NewYork with Danny Jacobs team.

I legit didn't know

Garcia is the epitome of a prize fighter imo...hopefully he doesn't hold up the title in his quest for the big money matches. I would hope Commey doesn't have to fight the Russian in Russia.

Commey isn't a bad fighter, but it's not a particularly interesting matchup. Garcia should win clearly, probably on points.

Dropped Easter too if i'm not mistaken

I applaud Garcia for wanting to move up in the world and look for a bigger name / challenge, but I also want to see him active in his prime, instead of sitting out on the sidelines.
He's Garcia's mandatory and he needs titles for leverage in a lomachenko negotiation.

Back