Mikey Garcia to Face Sergey Lipinets March 10 in San Antonio /Showtime

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Dec 14, 2017.

1. JayE

JayE Black Belt

I can't see a guy with Linares's durability issues and mediocre defense posing many problems for Garcia. Lipinets, at least, has the size and power that could allow him to exert a bit of pressure on Garcia and maybe make him a tad uncomfortable. I don't mean to suggest that it's a great fight, but there isn't much else out there at 35 or 40 at the moment. Linares/Garcia would be a more meaningful fight, without question, but I don't really see him as a difficult opponent for Garcia, nor am I particularly convinced that Teiken would like to sell his belt/status just yet (as I don't think Garcia will bring that much money in the matchup; a guy like Lomachenko could likely bring a bit more money to the table next year).

ironfist05 likes this.
  2. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

Hes pulling a Conor McGregor

3. aizen00

aizen00 Green Belt

He turned down a unification bout with jorge linares. Turned down cotto, and figueroa fights, and i know I'm missing another one.

4. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

I’m with him turning Cotto down. He was offered a contract by golden boy and he did not wanted to attach to them. He is basically a Haymon/free agent guy. No need to turn down Figueroa, Mickey would have won that fight and Lipinets,Omar and him are all PBC guys. I don’t see Linares beating him neither and again part of the deal offered was to sign with De La Hoya and he doesn’t want to do that

aizen00 likes this.
  5. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Management vs Labour

Lipinets is freaking average tho. He won't throw in combination and he's a plodder. He's tailor made for a beating, which is probably why the fights being made.

That he holds a belt is a testament to the shitfest that 140 is, more than anything else.

Mikey is way to invested in belts, than he is in actual good fights.

6. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

that they even offered him the cotto fight is a travesty. he's chubby at 140, and cotto is a heavy hitter. he would've ended mikey's career in 6 rounds and take 10 years off of his life in the process.

aizen00 and Minowafanatic like this.
  7. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

If he can drop down in weight and I’m not in his camp so I don’t know, linares would clearly be a better fight. But again I’m ko this trainer promoter or sparring partner so it’s probably an unrealistic proposition.

8. aizen00

aizen00 Green Belt

That is possible, but Mickey originally ask for that fight. Then they give it to him and he turned it down.

9. aizen00

aizen00 Green Belt

Those are good points, but he wanted the top guys. He could have worked out a deal with them to get those fights done. He specifically called out cotto and linares. They also agreed to his terms in some of those offers. I'm just shocked he tuned them down. He's good,(nothing too special) so let's see him fight. He already took a long hiatus.

MMALOPEZ likes this.
  10. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

I think he was in talks to unify with Robert Easter too

11. aizen00

aizen00 Green Belt

Probably true.

12. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

It's a smart move for Mikey. He'll smack Lipinets around and get that quadruple crown (becoming a 4 division titleholder). Lipinets will get the highest payday of his career.

13. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

14. Sakuraba7

Sakuraba7 Black Belt

Judging by his interviews and press he did just earlier, Lipinets is looking like a clueless BUM.
    That angers me knowing a guy would accept a title fight just 2.5 months after he just won it. Like he's willing to throw it all away from some chump change, and all he really cared was having the belt on his resume even if it was just for 2 months.

I was hoping for an upset, that maybe Lipinets has what it takes. But now im not counting on it. Hope im wrong though.

15. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

16. eddymotto

eddymotto Red Belt

thanks. I had no idea who Lipinets was. I am not very excited by the fight but you never know...

17. tekkennlee

tekkennlee Hot cars and fast girls

Your welcome no problem, Lipinets does have power and this changes a fight instantly, so i wouldn't count him out.

eddymotto likes this.
  18. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

19. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

20. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

http://www.boxingscene.com/yordenis-ugas-vs-ray-robinson-eliminator-on-february-10--124139

Yordenis Ugas is going to be in good company with countryman Rances Barthelemy. The Cuban welterweight contender was added to the February 10th card to fight for something very important for his career: a position close to the top in the International Boxing Federation (IBF) rankings.

As part of that Showtime televised evening from San Antonio, where Barthelemy will look for his third world title, Ugas will face Ray Robinson in a showdown where winner will be placed in the number two position in the IBF's top ten.

"I have to underline the significance of this for Yordenis, because to win his next fight would be for something very similar to a world title," said Ugas' manager Luis DeCubas Jr. to George Ebro. "Everything he has done so far , all of his growth in the ring would be justified with a win.'