Mikey Garcia to Face Sergey Lipinets March 10 in San Antonio /Showtime

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Mikey Garcia’s search for a big challenge in his next fight has brought him to Sergey Lipinets.

Garcia, the unbeaten WBC lightweight champion, will remain at 140 pounds to challenge Lipinets for the IBF junior welterweight title February 10. Ringtv.com reported Thursday that a deal has been finalized for a Garcia-Lipinets bout, which will be televised by Showtime.

The fight is expected to take place at The Alamodome in San Antonio. An official announcement is expected Thursday afternoon.

garcia-lipinets.jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-face-sergey-lipinets-february-10-san-antonio--123435

If Mikey wins he will join Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez as the only fighters who have won world titles at 126, 130, 135 and 140 pounds. o_O

Decent fight. Lipinets isn't really proven, but he's a dangerous puncher with a bit of ability. I think Garcia might be a tad undersized at JWW. We'll see if Lipinets' size, power, and pressure can bridge the skill gap; I don't think it will.

Anybody want to know about, Sergey Lipinets, here's the Showtime Boxing you tube channel link.

I don't know anything about Sergey, so I am studying his fights and boxing style and skills, abilities, then I will pick a winner of this fight.

Enjoy
Sergey Lipinets vs. Lenny Zappavinga: Full Fight Livestream | SHOWTIME Boxing

Mikey Garcia’s search for a big challenge in his next fight has brought him to Sergey Lipinets.

Garcia, the unbeaten WBC lightweight champion, will remain at 140 pounds to challenge Lipinets for the IBF junior welterweight title February 10. Ringtv.com reported Thursday that a deal has been finalized for a Garcia-Lipinets bout, which will be televised by Showtime.

The fight is expected to take place at The Alamodome in San Antonio. An official announcement is expected Thursday afternoon.

garcia-lipinets.jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-face-sergey-lipinets-february-10-san-antonio--123435
Why did mikey turn down the real challenges.

This mofo man!!!!! im hoping he calls lomo out after this fight. Garcia wins by ko

DZ, then Broner, now this... just saw someone saying not that long ago they wondered who'd cherrypick Lipinets for the easy road to the belt because he looked vulnerable. I actually haven't seen the man, but if he hasn't crossed my radar yet, chances are he's being brought in for a reason because that's Garcia's new MO lately are non-loseable fights. Starting to agree his heart isn't in it.

Fucked up taking this. Defend your title first, gain the experience.

Last edited:
DZ, then Broner, now this... just saw someone saying not that long ago they wondered who'd cherrypick Lipinets for the easy road to the belt because he looked vulnerable. I actually haven't seen the man, but if he hasn't crossed my radar yet, chances are he's being brought in for a reason because that's Garcia's new MO lately are non-loseable fights. Starting to agree his heart isn't in it.

The Brits did the same with Indongo, their paper champion ended up losing tho. But then Indongo had an immediate unification against Crawford and ended up losing it all.

Never take an instant unification after you just won the belt, you're being brought in to lose. Indongo fought 3 title fights in 9 months!! And total 5 fights in 17 months! That's ridiculous.

Fucked up taking an insta unification. Defend your title first, gain the experience.
I agree but most likely he’s getting a career high payday, if he is, you cant really blame him

I agree but most likely he’s getting a career high payday, if he is, you cant really blame him

With 2 more defenses under his belt, he could have cashed out with an even bigger payday eventually. He's fought most his fights in the US so far, he couldn't take a few more? If this fight isn't a war and he ends up losing, he's effectively done.

Yeah, for fucking real, why are people wanting to see this, it’ll be a stinker.
Shit fight.

Who should he be fighting? All the other top JWWs are busy and Lipinets is a titlist. Unless you want him to go down and fight Linares (if Teiken would be willing to cash out Linares, which I'm skeptical of), which would probably be an easier fight than Lipinets, I don't really know who you expect him to fight. More than that, with the way the styles clash, I'd be surprised if it didn't make for a genuinely entertaining fight.

Who should he be fighting? All the other top JWWs are busy and Lipinets is a titlist. Unless you want him to go down and fight Linares (if Teiken would be willing to cash out Linares, which I'm skeptical of), which would probably be an easier fight than Lipinets, I don't really know who you expect him to fight. More than that, with the way the styles clash, I'd be surprised if it didn't make for a genuinely entertaining fight.
Teiken has shown willingness to put its top fighters against other top fighters as long as the money is right. I also don't think Lipinets is a harder fight than Linares, though, to be fair, I don't really think much of Lipinets to begin with. I'm not shitting on Mikey for this fight, it's an ok fight, but I disagree that Lipinets is a bigger threat than Linares and I think it would be nice to see some lineality at LW.

If Mikey wins he will join Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez as the only fighters who have won world titles at 126, 130, 135 and 140 pounds. o_O
funny enough, Pac actually never technically won any of the big four titles at 126 or 140, despite winning the lineal titles. Just goes to show you how dumb the sanctioning bodies are.

belt hopping... this is a meaningless achievement because Lipinets is a fake champion. TC is the real champ of the weight class.

Back