Mikey Garcia: I Wouldn't Sign With Golden Boy to Get Cotto Fight

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Mikey Garcia was more than willing to jump up two more weight classes to challenge Miguel Cotto.

Garcia was not willing, however, to sign a multi-fight agreement with Cotto’s promoter just to get in the ring with the Puerto Rican legend. The unbeaten WBC lightweight champion issued a series of Tweets on Monday to address why he turned down a proposed 154-pound fight against Cotto on December 2 at Madison Square Garden.

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-i-sign-with-golden-boy-get-cotto-fight--121249

good.

had he agreed to fight cotto, it would've been the end of him anyway.

So they required him to sign with Golden Boy just to make a fight with him? Fuck that. I hope no one else bends over backward for them.

So they required him to sign with Golden Boy just to make a fight with him? Fuck that. I hope no one else bends over backward for them.

Makes sense for them to use Cotto like this I guess. He doesn't have many more miles left on him - might as well use him as a bargaining chip to try to sign younger talent that's already been developed.

But I agree. No reason for Mikey to do that. He'll be just fine without GB.

Makes sense for them to use Cotto like this I guess. He doesn't have many more miles left on him - might as well use him as a bargaining chip to try to sign younger talent that's already been developed.

But I agree. No reason for Mikey to do that. He'll be just fine without GB.

Why the shit would they even want a contract with Mikey when Cotto was done with him?

Some big secret life insurance policy?

Why the shit would they even want a contract with Mikey when Cotto was done with him?

Some big secret life insurance policy?

I have a feeling if that fight came through and both of them were on GBs roster, Mikey would look alright come the end of the night (especially considering Cotto Promotions has a partnership with GB now, Cotto's not just under their bill). Miguel has an interest in their continued success.

Isn't Cotto like 4-5 weight classes above Mikey's "natural" weight?

I have a feeling if that fight came through and both of them were on GBs roster, Mikey would look alright come the end of the night (especially considering Cotto Promotions has a partnership with GB now, Cotto's not just under their bill). Miguel has an interest in their continued success.

It's tough for me to image Cotto taking it easy on anyone. He gets mean in the ring. You have a cut and he'll stick his fist in it. If he hurts you to the body he'll forget you have a head. Remember when he fought that kid who blew out his knee in the middle of the fight? The kid's corner throw in the towel and the ref refused to accept the forfeit. Asked the fighter if he wanted to keep fighting with one leg and he said yes so Cotto wrecked him with power shots until he crumbled over and over again. Didn't let up for a second. Anyone who takes a life changing beating by the plaster wrapped hands of a cheating pile of shit is going to have a permanent mean streak.

It's tough for me to image Cotto taking it easy on anyone. He gets mean in the ring. You have a cut and he'll stick his fist in it. If he hurts you to the body he'll forget you have a head. Remember when he fought that kid who blew out his knee in the middle of the fight? The kid's corner throw in the towel and the ref refused to accept the forfeit. Asked the fighter if he wanted to keep fighting with one leg and he said yes so Cotto wrecked him with power shots until he crumbled over and over again. Didn't let up for a second. Anyone who takes a life changing beating by the plaster wrapped hands of a cheating pile of shit is going to have a permanent mean streak.

Foreman you mean. Yeah that was ridiculous.

Lose the avatar and maybe you'll get an answer. Until then, fuck off with that shit.
what a weirdo

that said, we've been seeing a lot of these fights recently where guys will be jumping across several divisions to face each other. I find it a little unsettling of a trend.

what a weirdo

that said, we've been seeing a lot of these fights recently where guys will be jumping across several divisions to face each other. I find it a little unsettling of a trend.

I think so too but I get why they want to do it. There's more money at the higher weights obviously and they want to try and prove their worth by taking on challenges ranging from daunting to potential career suicide. Fighting the best in your division, cleaning it out, and moving up a weight class if necessary to get bigger fights is what should be happening instead. The bigger paydays aren't worth the price in the ring imo. Did you hear that Chocolatito wants a third fight with Sor Rungvisai?

Did you hear that Chocolatito wants a third fight with Sor Rungvisai?
oh god, no.

seriously, someone needs to stop that. my heart can't take seeing roman laid out again. or his family crying, that shit was brutal.

oh god, no.

seriously, someone needs to stop that. my heart can't take seeing roman laid out again. or his family crying, that shit was brutal.

That is rough.

It would be an incredible win to retire on though. He certainly doesn't seem punch drunk or washed up or too old. He just didn't look motivated or confident at all in that last fight. Could have easily been given the nod in the first fight.

I am torn. I'd love to see him avenge his losses and retire on top but the risk is not a small one.

Really don't want Garcia messing around with weights. He's a beast at lightweight. Take on Linares and Lomachenko, build your own star power, jumping weight constantly will only shorten his career

I think so too but I get why they want to do it. There's more money at the higher weights obviously and they want to try and prove their worth by taking on challenges ranging from daunting to potential career suicide. Fighting the best in your division, cleaning it out, and moving up a weight class if necessary to get bigger fights is what should be happening instead. The bigger paydays aren't worth the price in the ring imo. Did you hear that Chocolatito wants a third fight with Sor Rungvisai?
It's ture, but I just feel like fights like GGG/Brook, Loma/Rigo, Larios/Pac, Floyd/Marquez are kind of worrying as a precedent.

yeah I heard that, I hope to god it doesn't happen. I don't think Roman is necessarily done, but Srisaket broke him. I hear he wants Yafai for now, which is a fight I think is winnable, though I think he should take a confidence building tuneup first. I was watching SSR/Choco II with my friends who odn't really watch boxing, and they thought he nearly died.

It's ture, but I just feel like fights like GGG/Brook, Loma/Rigo, Larios/Pac, Floyd/Marquez are kind of worrying as a precedent.

yeah I heard that, I hope to god it doesn't happen. I don't think Roman is necessarily done, but Srisaket broke him. I hear he wants Yafai for now, which is a fight I think is winnable, though I think he should take a confidence building tuneup first. I was watching SSR/Choco II with my friends who odn't really watch boxing, and they thought he nearly died.

It does set a bad precedent. If you remember in one of those cases the WBA didn't play along with GGG-Brook. They cited safety concerns for Brook ahead of the fight. I'd like to see Roman in a tuneup as well.

I didn't notice his avatar until you posted. How the hell isn't he banned or at least carded?

He's carded now but I didn't report him. Someone else must've noticed it or noticed my post pointing it out.

Back