Mike Perry's pro boxing fight...

people turn to MMA when they realise they cant box

boxers turn to drugs when they realise they cant win anymore
Depends. I'm a much better boxer than MMA fighter, but I prefer MMA because it's more realistic. It's crazy hard to even do standup against guys with good kickboxing. The range is different, they can clinch you up when you close the distance, you can't wait on the outside, it's harder to set feints, you can roll punches the same. Just the other day I got caught flush with a lead highkick after slipping the jab.

It's a tough sport.

Perry got blasted...was down for at least 20 seconds.

giphy.gif

The only thing Mike Perry is a professional at is screwing up. Everything else is amateur hour with that plonker.

Depends. I'm a much better boxer than MMA fighter, but I prefer MMA because it's more realistic. It's crazy hard to even do standup against guys with good kickboxing. The range is different, they can clinch you up when you close the distance, you can't wait on the outside, it's harder to set feints, you can roll punches the same. Just the other day I got caught flush with a lead highkick after slipping the jab.

It's a tough sport.

Also a guy like Edson Barboza who had an extensive Muay Thai background and grew up in Tae Kwon Do as a black belt and had Brazilian Jiu Jitsu experience...These kinds of high level athletes who are life long martial artists are what MMA is made up of in one way or another. Cro Cop was a Tae Kwon Do black belt, a successful amateur boxer and a kickboxing world champion who transitioned to MMA. Aaron Pico, Stipe, Henry Cejudo, Cody Garbrandt etc all had similar backgrounds as amateur boxers, high level college wrestlers who fancied MMA.

Most MMA fighters didn't choose MMA because " they can't box " a lot of high level MMA fighters could have been top 10 boxers if they dedicated their lives to that sport instead. It's just silly that statement "MMA fighters are failed boxers" it's an entirely different culture and way of fighting. Even "MMA boxing" isn't "boxing".

He looked really hurt... but not as butt hurt as his fan bois.
<JonesDXSuckIt>

people turn to MMA when they realise they cant box

boxers turn to drugs when they realise they cant win anymore
It probably has more to do with the depth of the talent pool in boxing. It's an Olympic sport that's trained all over the world, so really deep talent pool. The world of professional boxing is littered with former Golden Gloves champions and Olympic medalists who didn't amount to anything. So maybe if you're a Stipe Miocic or Cody Garbrandt, you factor that into your thinking and transition to a sport where your hands and footwork stand out and give you a real advantage.

Kenneth McNeil actually went on to fight for a boxing title
Ya McNeil is no can. He's no champion either, but his fight against Perry just shows what happens when an MMA fighter takes on a boxer in a boxing match. Boxrec even says that Perry weighed in about six pounds heavier than McNeil too. And people think Conor is gonna KO Floyd. . . .

Most MMA fighters didn't choose MMA because " they can't box " a lot of high level MMA fighters could have been top 10 boxers if they dedicated their lives to that sport instead. It's just silly that statement "MMA fighters are failed boxers" it's an entirely different culture and way of fighting. Even "MMA boxing" isn't "boxing".

I agree with this statement, you have an AMAZING Judoka in Karo Parisyan who also knew a lot about catch wrestling/sambo and so he entered the MMA because his coaches were MMA/Vale tudo fighters and the incentive was to market their unique grappling dojo so they could have more students and charge more private lessons and make more money in the process.

That's one popular reason various martial artists fought in kickboxing and MMA. The whole " couldn't hack in to boxing" talk is silly and completely disrespectful.

you don't need a " story ", perry is just a sloppy brawler with power and always has been.

Amateur muay thai as a preteen doesn't really mean much. He was in jail, running with gangs, abusing drugs...He didn't start training seriously until 2014.

Yes, but the amateur muay thai thing explains his boxing stance and the combinations he is throwing.

Why not amateur boxing? Was he a pro in MMA already? Its just weird that a guy with seemingly no amateur boxing back ground or boxing skills takes a pro boxing fight...
Island Fight cards are MMA and Boxing both fought in the ring, and they're based in Florida where Mike lives and trains. Roy Jones Jr headlined the card and Mike Perry took the fight on short notice. He was training for MMA and even wore his UFC socks :D he fought for Island Fights again in an MMA contest.

Back