Mike Perry has no Fight IQ

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Mike and Max Griffin's striking was pretty even although Griffin was getting the better of Perry, no one was dominating the striking. Perry's granite chin was a big factor in eating Griffin's strikes. In the 1st round Perry got Griffin to the ground easily and gained mount very easily showing that he was far better at the ground game than Griffin.

Perry went 3 rounds losing the striking and only went for a takedown at the last minute of the 3rd and last round. Sure, if Perry wanted to test his striking and attempt the takedown that's fine for the 1st two rounds, but once you realize that you may have not won the 1st two rounds you'd better finish it in the 3rd and how do you finish it if your Mike Perry......well, obviously you're light years ahead of your opponent in the ground department, you should take it there.

If Perry had gone for the TD in the beginning of the 3rd round he would have easily beaten Griffin.

That fight showed that Perry has no Fight IQ and if his corner wasn't yelling, "Takedown, Takedown, Takedown" they have low Fight IQ also.

I just don't think he has the well rounded skill set. It's not necessarily a lack of fight IQ, it's a lack of options. He's just a brawler. That's all he's got.

The word fight was not necessary in your thread title, TS

He doesn't seem to be able to cut off guys that are on their bike while fighting him. He's been exposed and unless he corrects the problems with his game I don't see him winning against many mid-high level fighters.

Still fun fights for him though

I just don't think he has the well rounded skill set. It's not necessarily a lack of fight IQ, it's a lack of options. He's just a brawler. That's all he's got.

He was completing a few of those TDs and when he did he was molesting Griffin. All he had to do was that for 3 rounds!

He got full mount in his first TD for Chrissakes!

The striking wasn't even at all.
He got lit the fuck up by Griffin the first 2 rounds. He got outlanded like 4 to 1 or something ridiculous like that

He was shockingly mediocre

Is it really shocking after the Jouban fight? I mean, when he's not fighting a can or a fighter who's a shadow of his former self (Ellenberger) he pretty much looks like shit.

Is it really shocking after the Jouban fight? I mean, when he's not fighting a can or a fighter who's a shadow of his former self (Ellenberger) he pretty much looks like shit.

Meh, I had zero expecatitions going into the fight.

Within the first minute Max looked slow, hittable and not a great boxer. I figured right away this was a match-up made for Perry. Instead, he looked flat and sucked, in a favorable match-up.

Nothing good came from that fight. This styles match up should have show cased his type of skillset imo, and he failed to bring it out.

I came here for laughs and am not disappointed

Mike and Max Griffin's striking was pretty even although Griffin was getting the better of Perry, no one was dominating the striking. Perry's granite chin was a big factor in eating Griffin's strikes. In the 1st round Perry got Griffin to the ground easily and gained mount very easily showing that he was far better at the ground game than Griffin.

Perry went 3 rounds losing the striking and only went for a takedown at the last minute of the 3rd and last round. Sure, if Perry wanted to test his striking and attempt the takedown that's fine for the 1st two rounds, but once you realize that you may have not won the 1st two rounds you'd better finish it in the 3rd and how do you finish it if your Mike Perry......well, obviously you're light years ahead of your opponent in the ground department, you should take it there.

If Perry had gone for the TD in the beginning of the 3rd round he would have easily beaten Griffin.

That fight showed that Perry has no Fight IQ and if his corner wasn't yelling, "Takedown, Takedown, Takedown" they have low Fight IQ also.
No no no no no no NO!. What you said there also shows very low fight IQ. In a 3 round fight you cant stick to testing out your hands as you get out pointed and KNOW you have a big ground advantage. You should never put yourself in a scenario where you must KO your opponent in the 3rd. Horrible spot to be. It just aint that damn easy. If you drop the 1st round you need to go into the 2nd thinking okay maybe ill keep it on the feet again but if nothing changes I need to get the fight to the ground and make sure I at least win the round becausw I know I can win there. You should never be in a situation where you reach the 3rd round and find out you could of very easily won the fight and dominated on the ground but you vant quite finish the guy. Thats a stupid horrible place to be. Thats what gatekeepers do. Real contenders never make mistakes like that. In all the fights Ive watched I know one thing.. in 3 round fights you need to adapt quickly in the 2nd round if you dropped the 1st one because in that 2nd round you need to have some urgency because you dont want to find out your opponent is playing safe and defensive in the 3rd trying to get to a decision. You need your opponent to have to win the 3rd as much as you do. You cant be in a KO or bust spot.

Any fighter who sticks to plan A for two rounds straight and continues to lose Im sorry to say is low fighter IQ. I dont even want to hear this nonsense oh its okay to test your hands because in the 3rd round youll just make sure to get the tko.. wtf.. thats awful confident there bud.

Back