Migrants will not pay for your retirement

Cuauhtemoc

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.economist.com/news/unite...simmigrationcannotplugtheholeinamericasbudget

We've all heard that line but it seems that if you take everything into account most migrants are not much of a benefit to the budget in the long run. Excluding the very few highly skilled ones.

20170422_USC425.png

It shows that, like natives, immigrants tend to benefit the treasury only if they are well-educated. The net contribution of an immigrant with a bachelor’s degree is worth over $200,000 now. A thinly educated immigrant costs $115,000.

Broadly, immigrants to America are less educated than natives. In recent years, 21% had less than a high-school education, compared with 7% of American-born folk. This brings down their estimated fiscal contribution over 75 years to $92,000 each (under the given assumptions). If all immigrants, rather than only recent ones, are counted, the number turns negative.

Shocking.

Thanks for letting me know because before I read this, I thought immigrants and refugees were awesome for countries.

"Less than high school". Tell me. Does that include people who can't read? Because I have heard claims that those people are a richness that we should treasure.

Yeah but your broccoli is slightly cheaper, so it works out in the end.

Good bookmark for when people say "they will pay for our pensions".

so it comes down to choice

1.) cheap labor
2.) a functioning welfare system

Shut up, bigot. You just don't like poorly thought out ponzi schemes because some people are brown.

But Jon Oliver told us that the wave of migrants hitting Europe would result in higher wages for everyone.

They fucking better, otherwise I'll be greeting customers at walmart at age 72.
If I reach retirement age and my SS and retirement IRA aren't there, guess who will leech off the gov't?

I'm a poor person but I made smart decisions with my money years ago to insure my retirement. If its not there because of the gov't, I'll get it somehow. No way am I working beyond the age of 60, unless I'm bored.

Shocking.

Thanks for letting me know because before I read this, I thought immigrants and refugees were awesome for countries.
In moderation, they are. Legions of them for political gain are a catastrophe.

If I reach retirement age and my SS and retirement IRA aren't there, guess who will leech off the gov't?

I'm a poor person but I made smart decisions with my money years ago to insure my retirement. If its not there because of the gov't, I'll get it somehow. No way am I working beyond the age of 60, unless I'm bored.
I thought you were like 78.

Inept ignorant migrants are useless, no shit sherlock.

Shocking.

Immigrants generally are if there's a proper vetting procedure in place. As in, are they compatible, motivated, and want to adapt to their new homes.

Refugees are a mixed bag, as they're not there by choice.

Migrants are leeches, and should never be allowed into a country.

Immigrants generally are if there's a proper vetting procedure in place. As in, are they compatible, motivated, and want to adapt to their new homes.

Refugees are a mixed bag, as they're not there by choice.

Migrants are leeches, and should never be allowed into a country.
The rest of the world views us as easy to exploit, IMO. Thats the problem. People don't come to this country to be something anymore, they come to be taken care of.

no no no. It's an investment. Their kids will be the next generation of natives and they will pay for our retirements.

Back