Middle Earth Shadow of War

Why?

It's Optional XP boosts and shit that arent required, can be acquired with in game currency and dont prevent access to content. What's the problem? Just don't use them if you don't want to. It's the equivalent of cheat codes more or less. I don't use them, but I don't give a shit if someone else does.

We'll see when the game comes out because I've been burnt.

We'll see when the game comes out because I've been burnt.

That's reasonable. But theres already people jumping on the hate bandwagon and you just KNOW whiners are gonna bomb the user scores. Not because of any legitimate reason, of course.

For years the people complaining always said theyd have no problem if micros didnt create a paywall and didnt affect gameplay. This only effects gameplay if you choose, and since it's a single player, who cares how other people want to play? We'll see how "grindy" it is. But the original had lots of opportunity to grind anyway, so it seems like as soon as theres any hint of grind people will jump on it even though every preview has so far made it look like the gameplay is pretty dynamic.

Why?

It's Optional XP boosts and shit that arent required, can be acquired with in game currency and dont prevent access to content. What's the problem? Just don't use them if you don't want to. It's the equivalent of cheat codes more or less. I don't use them, but I don't give a shit if someone else does.

You don't think they'll design the game in such a way as to encourage people to purchase them? Guaranteed they'll make it as much of a grind fest as possible.

You don't think they'll design the game in such a way as to encourage people to purchase them? Guaranteed they'll make it as much of a grind fest as possible.

They could, but I'm not going to assume they will just because they have completely optional loot boxes.They don't need to even change the previous games mechanics to put a grind in there, it already had it, the reward for doing it wasn't all that worth it and lots of people didn't bother. Now theyre putting in incentives so it's there if you want to do it. Let's wait and see before we start whining and complaining about something we have yet to play and mechanics we have yet to try. There's been literally no change in apparent gameplay from any of the previews we've seen. Let's wait for the final product before the rage and user review spam starts flowing.

For years gamers were saying micros would be fine so long as theyre optional and didn't hide content behind a paywall. Now, even if that's what they get (*cough*Evolve*cough*) they just rage. I've never seen a group of people cry about their own hobby so much, especially over things that aren't even a big deal.

Let's say they have a grind in the game for these xp boosts and shit? Repeatable missions and whatnot (exactly like the first game). Who cares? The only thing I care about is whether my campaign experience is hindered. If I can't pass a certain point without getting a certain weapon or something that's available from the market, then you'd have a proper criticism. If I can just play the game, beginning to end, and never have to purchase anything then there's no problem. The thing is, I'd bet any amount of money that's exactly what's going to happen. You can play the whole game and never even bring up the market options a single time. But you're still gonna have people crying because they didn't find some loot they really wanted or some crybaby bullshit. I'd bet you the "grind" is gonna be the same shit as last game. "Kill that dude." "Sneak around here and kill shit." "poison those barrels, etc". Except now that same shit is gonna turn people into whiners.

Do you guys remember Fight Night Champion? Game had so many microtransactions I broke the fuckin disc in half. Fuck this game in the arse.

They could, but I'm not going to assume they will just because they have completely optional loot boxes.They don't need to even change the previous games mechanics to put a grind in there, it already had it, the reward for doing it wasn't all that worth it and lots of people didn't bother. Now theyre putting in incentives so it's there if you want to do it. Let's wait and see before we start whining and complaining about something we have yet to play and mechanics we have yet to try. There's been literally no change in apparent gameplay from any of the previews we've seen. Let's wait for the final product before the rage and user review spam starts flowing.

For years gamers were saying micros would be fine so long as theyre optional and didn't hide content behind a paywall. Now, even if that's what they get (*cough*Evolve*cough*) they just rage. I've never seen a group of people cry about their own hobby so much, especially over things that aren't even a big deal.

Let's say they have a grind in the game for these xp boosts and shit? Repeatable missions and whatnot (exactly like the first game). Who cares? The only thing I care about is whether my campaign experience is hindered. If I can't pass a certain point without getting a certain weapon or something that's available from the market, then you'd have a proper criticism. If I can just play the game, beginning to end, and never have to purchase anything then there's no problem. The thing is, I'd bet any amount of money that's exactly what's going to happen. You can play the whole game and never even bring up the market options a single time. But you're still gonna have people crying because they didn't find some loot they really wanted or some crybaby bullshit. I'd bet you the "grind" is gonna be the same shit as last game. "Kill that dude." "Sneak around here and kill shit." "poison those barrels, etc". Except now that same shit is gonna turn people into whiners.

You might be right, but the games industry doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to this stuff. You can't blame people for not trusting those who've proven themselves untrustworthy.

You might be right, but the games industry doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to this stuff. You can't blame people for not trusting those who've proven themselves untrustworthy.

I try to go by dev/publisher as opposed to judging the entire games industry for whatever failures it produces. More than that, they can improve their services. So far I can't recall any horror stories from Monolith. Or even WB now that I think of it.

I try to go by dev/publisher as opposed to judging the entire games industry for whatever failures it produces. More than that, they can improve their services. So far I can't recall any horror stories from Monolith. Or even WB now that I think of it.

I got a game breaking bug in Arkham Origins that they never fixed (still released dlc for the fucker, though). Lousy bastards.

I got a game breaking bug in Arkham Origins that they never fixed (still released dlc for the fucker, though). Lousy bastards.

Oooh, I forgot about Arkham. Arkham Knight release was catastrophic. So bad they actually pulled it off the shelves. Though it fairness it wasnt due to to micros.

After watching about a dozen videos about the discussion, two issues changed my mind about being somewhat doubtful to completely pessimistic.

1. Monolith isn't just adding microtransactions, but they're changing the game's pacing to make the purchase of microtransactions far more appealing.

I 100%ed Shadow of Mordor in 40 hours on my first playthrough. Its not a long game. Supposing the sequel is around the same the same length, perhaps 50 or 60 hours, but the player is still having a blast... why bother spending your real money to progress faster? Because not all players have alot of time and would rather beat the game in 30 hours? Bullshit. They wouldn't put forth the development time and money into the microtransactions for that small percentage of the customer base that are willing to pay to beat the game quicker.

The percentage of their potential customer base that are seriously pissed off is much larger than any percentage that'd want to beat the game in one sitting.

2. WB Games constant increase of microtransactions' role in their published games.

Its been getting worse and worse... and now they've shit the bed on one of the biggest games of the year... or it previously was.

Maybe its gonna take this game to fail, in comparison to its expected success, for developers and publishers to get the fucking message... No Microtransactions In Campaigns.

After watching about a dozen videos about the discussion, two issues changed my mind about being somewhat doubtful to completely pessimistic.

1. Monolith isn't just adding microtransactions, but they're changing the game's pacing to make the purchase of microtransactions far more appealing.

I 100%ed Shadow of Mordor in 40 hours on my first playthrough. Its not a long game. Supposing the sequel is around the same the same length, perhaps 50 or 60 hours, but the player is still having a blast... why bother spending your real money to progress faster? Because not all players have alot of time and would rather beat the game in 30 hours? Bullshit. They wouldn't put forth the development time and money into the microtransactions for that small percentage of the customer base that are willing to pay to beat the game quicker.

The percentage of their potential customer base that are seriously pissed off is much larger than any percentage that'd want to beat the game in one sitting.

2. WB Games constant increase of microtransactions' role in their published games.

Its been getting worse and worse... and now they've shit the bed on one of the biggest games of the year... or it previously was.

Maybe its gonna take this game to fail, in comparison to its expected success, for developers and publishers to get the fucking message... No Microtransactions In Campaigns.

1. Did they say this?

That's reasonable. But theres already people jumping on the hate bandwagon and you just KNOW whiners are gonna bomb the user scores. Not because of any legitimate reason, of course.

For years the people complaining always said theyd have no problem if micros didnt create a paywall and didnt affect gameplay. This only effects gameplay if you choose, and since it's a single player, who cares how other people want to play? We'll see how "grindy" it is. But the original had lots of opportunity to grind anyway, so it seems like as soon as theres any hint of grind people will jump on it even though every preview has so far made it look like the gameplay is pretty dynamic.

Original was fine, I did just about everything. Wasn't too big a world. Same as with the Mad Max game.

That's usually what happens. Pretty sure Deus Ex was tampered with in that way

1. Did they say this?

Are you gullible enough to believe their claim of adding microtransactions for convenience?

Here, check out this video by Downward Thrust and tell me you believe Monolith's implied claim they're adding microtransactions with no motive to make money.

Are you gullible enough to believe their claim of adding microtransactions for convenience?

Here, check out this video by Downward Thrust and tell me you believe Monolith's implied claim they're adding microtransactions with no motive to make money.

So "no" is the answer to my question, right?

I never said they didn't have a motive to make money. Dunno where you got that. Obviously they want to make money.

Look, that video is fucking useless. The dude is just going on and on saying "I guarantee you this is going to happen". He might be right, but him predicting it means nothing at all. Who is this dude to make these predictions? The fact that he has a youtube channel makes his opinion worth more than anybody else? Are you so gullible that random youtube vids by no one in particular convince you? Because earlier you were taking a more cautious but not pessimistic approach. Now youre saying they're deliberately changing the games pacing. Yet the only thing you post as evidence is this video. Did you just watch this vid and it changed your mind or something?

Right now I believe nothing. I'm going to wait and see. If I find myself needing to repeat boring content to get progress, then I'll be right in the camp with you. If I play the game and have a similar experience to Shadow of Mordor, all these predictions of the sky falling and Monolith deliberately doing.....something....of some sort....that no one can actually put a finger on....will be proven hogwash.

So "no" is the answer to my question, right?

I never said they didn't have a motive to make money. Dunno where you got that. Obviously they want to make money.

Then lets add the admittion that Monolith/WB Games aim to make money with the addition of microtransactions with your questioning my claim of...

'1. Monolith isn't just adding microtransactions, but they're changing the game's pacing to make the purchase of microtransactions far more appealing.'

So... they're adding microtransactions to make money, but won't change the pacing of the game to make the microtransactions more appealing?

Look, that video is fucking useless. The dude is just going on and on saying "I guarantee you this is going to happen".
Yeah, that's based on the desire of primarily single-player developers to bring in the revenue of multiplayer games through microtransactions.

The entire existance of a company is to make money. So, I'm interested in your argument as to why they don't want to make more money.

He might be right, but him predicting it means nothing at all.
His opinion isn't exactly uncommon, but what sets his appart is the history he's brought up of other single-player series bringing in microtransactions to the detriment of the quality of the game.

Who is this dude to make these predictions? The fact that he has a youtube channel makes his opinion worth more than anybody else? Are you so gullible that random youtube vids by no one in particular convince you?
Judge the opinion based on the merritt of the opinion, the likelihood of it being reality, rather than the persons presenting the opinion.

And wonder why the opinion is voiced by so many.

So far, you've just been shooting down the probability of the game being altered to make the microtransactions an attractive option, yet you've not given an argument as to why that isn't the case.

Because earlier you were taking a more cautious but not pessimistic approach.

Now youre saying they're deliberately changing the games pacing. Yet the only thing you post as evidence is this video. Did you just watch this vid and it changed your mind or something?
The video was posted today.

My initial cautious opinion was based on the first impressions after hearing the news.

What changed my opinion, was being reminded the publisher is WB Games, who has been adding more intrusive microtransactions to every release for years.

Right now I believe nothing. I'm going to wait and see. If I find myself needing to repeat boring content to get progress, then I'll be right in the camp with you.
Good to hear.... but the thing is Monolith & WB Games won't give a shit, because you already bought the game.

If I play the game and have a similar experience to Shadow of Mordor, all these predictions of the sky falling and Monolith deliberately doing.....something....of some sort....that no one can actually put a finger on....will be proven hogwash.

And you're betting $60+SalesTax that you're right, and everyone on the internet is wrong.

Perhaps the outrage is overblown, and it'll be a fun game despite the added grinding, but it won't be as fun as the original... especially for those that detest such business practices and detest them being inserted in our favorite game series.

First one was pretty fun. Reminded me of that cancelled legacy of kain dead sun game.

That ending though was atrocious. I could literally take the same game with a few tweaks, just put a satisfying ending and ill be happy

Back