Microsoft E3 2017: Sunday 2:00PM PDT

Would any PC be able to hang with the Xbox One X for $500?.....Is Microsoft losing money per console?

Would any PC be able to hang with the Xbox One X for $500?.....Is Microsoft losing money per console?

If building a new PC, no. If upgrading a decent PC, even if not a gaming PC, yes.

Of course this is going off raw numbers. Nothing solid will be known until it is releases and we see what it can do. The Xbox One X GPU is rated at 6 teraphops. A GTX 1070 is 6.5 teraphops, and a RX 580 is 6.1 teraphops. However, the RX 580 does not go head to head in performance with the GTX 1070, but the GTX 1060 which is only 4.4 teraphops.

Last edited:
Probably. Most console manufacturers lose money on launch systems. They want to build and install base and make their money back on software and e-commerce.

I believe in the power of optimization. Does anybody know if the programming is the same for the play anywhere games?

I believe in the power of optimization. Does anybody know if the programming is the same for the play anywhere games?

The Xbox used a sightly modified version of Direct X 12. So the programing is basically the same for the Xbox and PC games that use Direct X.

Anyone else feel like the days where the console makers are the ones stealing the show at E3 is over?

Like, I am utterly floored right now at how GOOD Ubi's presser was and how lackluster Sony's was and how they themselves fucking killed the room with all the VR bullshit no one gives a shit about no matter how much IGN tried to hype it on their post show last night.

Anyone else feel like the days where the console makers are the ones stealing the show at E3 is over?

Like, I am utterly floored right now at how GOOD Ubi's presser was and how lackluster Sony's was and how they themselves fucking killed the room with all the VR bullshit no one gives a shit about no matter how much IGN tried to hype it on their post show last night.
Overall e3 was massively disappointing. I don't give a fuck about remastered/rehashed games, VR, or mediocre indie games.

The only games I may try are Assassins Creed, Skull and Bones, and probably Anthem, other than those 3 I just didn't see much that interest me. Bethesda is an absolute joke for milking the skyrim tit for SIX YEARS, not to mention all the VR bs, and Sony and Microsoft both were extremely underwhelming especially Microsoft.

Overall e3 is disappointing. I don't give a fuck about remastered/rehashed games or VR, almost I'm not big on small budget indie games.

The only games I may try are Assassins Creed, Skull and Bones, and probably Anthem, other than those 3 I just didn't see much that interest me. Bethesda is an absolute joke for milking the skyrim tit for SIX YEARS, not to mention all the VR bs, and Sony and Microsoft both were extremely underwhelming. Its definitely hasn't been the best period for games and fans.
For me it'd be S&B, AC, and then FC 5. I am not getting my hopes up too high on Anthem until I see more.

For me it'd be S&B, AC, and then FC 5. I am not getting my hopes up too high on Anthem until I see more.
FC seems decent, but that franchise took a pretty big nosedive after 3, and I want Anthem to be good, but I'm worried its another case of a trailer massively outdoing an actual game.

Assassins Creed has just been so damn inconsistent:

-assassins creed 1 (extremely basic game, although loved the time period)
-2 and brotherhood (both very good, with great setting, and character)
-revelations (very good)
-3 (absolutely horrible and bland and I quit after an hour or so)
-blackflag (goat assassins creed game)
-rogue (basically a blackflag dlc/carbon copy of BF)
-unity (heard it was trash, never played it)
-syndicate (never played but heard it was shit)

Atleast this new creed game is supposed to be far more rpg orientated and I appreciate Ubisoft taking it that direction (only issue is that it seems like a combo of assassins creed +far cry primal)

Probably. Most console manufacturers lose money on launch systems. They want to build and install base and make their money back on software and e-commerce.

Well the PS4 and X1 didn't do that...They made profit from the very start since they were really weak...All other consoles actually had high tech from the beginning so they lost money per console. I am glad they are pushing the tech and losing money, so we the consumer win.

... I am glad they are pushing the tech and losing money, so we the consumer win.

No you don't. Even if the updated consoles have Microsoft and Sony losing a bit of money they are doing so to lock you into their eco-systems. Which means you have to buy games for those platforms as well as their peripherals. Not to mention their monthly services if you want to play online.

Now as far as them losing money on the consoles, I doubt they are. Look at the Xbox One X. It is more expensive then the Xbox One was at launch with basically an upgraded GPU. The CPU is the same, simply clocked higher, and the GPU is really an APU and custom made by AMD who does not make a lot of profit off each unit selling to Microsoft, unlike the profit margins on their stand alone GPU's.

No you don't. Even if the updated consoles have Microsoft and Sony losing a bit of money they are doing so to lock you into their eco-systems. Which means you have to buy games for those platforms as well as their peripherals. Not to mention their monthly services if you want to play online.

Now as far as them losing money on the consoles, I doubt they are. Look at the Xbox One X. It is more expensive then the Xbox One was at launch with basically an upgraded GPU. The CPU is the same, simply clocked higher, and the GPU is really an APU and custom made by AMD who does not make a lot of profit off each unit selling to Microsoft, unlike the profit margins on their stand alone GPU's.

The original Xbox One started at $500 same as the X.

The consumer wins compared to the crap they have. Of course PC is the best for consumers because of the freedom it gives you.

You do know that the xbox one x, is more than just a fucking video card, right? The 4K UHD Player it has, alone makes me think that they will lose money on the first consoles sold.

Im not saying they lose, anything ridiculous like $100-$150 per console like the original Xbox..but this console will atleast be worth $500...unlike the PS4/Xbox One rip offs.

Last edited:
The consumer wins compared to the crap they have. Of course PC is the best for consumers because of the freedom it gives you.

You do know that the xbox one x, is more than just a fucking video card, right? The 4K UHD Player it has, alone makes me think that they will lose money on the first consoles sold.

Im not saying they lose, anything ridiculous like $100-$150 per console like the original Xbox..but this console will atleast be worth $500...unlike the PS4/Xbox One rip offs, which were really worth around $400 on launch.

The expense to make a 4K Blu-Ray optical drive is not that much. You can get a stand alone reader/writer for $50 and the companies that sell them are making a very good profit off them.

The expense to make a 4K Blu-Ray optical drive is not that much. You can get a stand alone reader/writer for $50 and the companies that sell them are making a very good profit off them.

Really? Find me a UHD 4k Bluray Drive for $50...I went to Newegg and Amazon....I didn't find much and they are above $100.

All UHD 4K bluray players are above $100 as well...going into the $200+

You must be confusing it with a regular Blu-ray Drive/Player.

Really? Find me a UHD 4k Bluray Drive for $50...I went to Newegg and Amazon....I didn't find much and they are above $100.

All UHD 4K bluray players are above $100 as well...going into the $200+

You must be confusing it with a regular Blu-ray Drive/Player.

You're right I was. Okay $100, and noting that only a few companies are making them. How much profit do you think they are making off each?

Plus this still goes into getting you locked into their eco-system, which is ultimately what they want.

Last edited:
You're right I was. Okay $100, and noting that only a few companies are making them. How much profit do you think they are making off each?
I only saw the pioneer drive and it was like $120.

Im sure they are making a bunch of money because they are very new tech and rare....Im sure Microsoft will get them for cheaper since they are gonna buy them in bulk.

Honestly, I don't think they will go down that much, like I doubt that microsoft will buy them for $70..It's gonna cost some money.

It reminds me of the PS2...People bought it because it was a cheap DVD player compared to regular dvd players.

The PS2 lost $180 per console when it first launched.....because those DVD players weren't cheap.

Back