Microsoft’s new Modern Keyboard has a hidden fingerprint reader (keyboard brahs gtfih)

I've been looking into those custom keyboards that operate like old time typewriters. I like the sound and the feel, the way words roll beneath your fingers. But I also like illuminated characters on my keys, and the ten-keypad.

Can anyone give a tutorial on the difference in mechanical switches? White Cherry? Cherry Blue? These names confound me.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

They make switch testers with a variety of switches so you can test them out before you spend a bunch of money on a keyboard.
www.amazon.com/Akwox-Cherry-Switch-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG

Got it from unicomp's website! They're the same price on Amazon lol

Is it Din or ps/2? How are you going to connect it?

I thought this thread was mainly going to be about people bitching about Microsoft spying but it is in fact just a bunch of keyboard brahs that have gtfih to discuss keyboards.

Last edited:
It is a USB keyboard
Unicomp keyboards
yNlQWRM.jpg

I thought this thread was mainly going to be able people bitching about Microsoft spying but it is in fact just a bunch of keyboard brahs that have gtfih to discuss keyboards.
LOL best post of the day imo

What is your switch of choice?

Buckling spring (capacitive although I have a Model M as well) and Salmon/Orange ALPs.

I'm interested in trying out those new Kailh box switches (clicky and tactile versions). I've never tried Topre and would like to see what the hype is.
I have this big guy being shipped to my house today!! Can't wait to dominate some code with it!
Unicomp_keyboard.jpg

Those Unicomps are nice, but if you get a chance to try a Model F, there's no comparison.

Buckling spring (capacitive although I have a Model M as well) and Salmon/Orange ALPs.

I'm interested in trying out those new Kailh box switches (clicky and tactile versions). I've never tried Topre and would like to see what the hype is.

Those Unicomps are nice, but if you get a chance to try a Model F, there's no comparison.
How does the model f differ?

I've been looking into those custom keyboards that operate like old time typewriters. I like the sound and the feel, the way words roll beneath your fingers. But I also like illuminated characters on my keys, and the ten-keypad.

Can anyone give a tutorial on the difference in mechanical switches? White Cherry? Cherry Blue? These names confound me.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/

People are divided among Topre, buckling springs and ALPs as their favorite switches. MX and their clones have the advantage that there's a lot more choices in keycaps, but many people favor Topre, buckling springs and ALPs. Many enthusiasts feel that cherries don't compare to the aforementioned switches. I do have an old beige vintage board with vintage Cherry MX Blues (clicky) that is quite nice. As I mentioned, there is a new MX style switch, Kailh box switches, that have less wobble, MX keycap compatibility, and better click quality the corresponding MX switches and their clones.

How does the model f differ?

The F's have a higher quality feel to them. More of a metallic, louder click. I'm not great at describing the feeling. Model M's were made to reduce the costs of manufacturing F's. The F's have a metal plate vs. a plastic in the M's. There's a different resonance and solid feeling. Some people say that the M's feel cheap compared to the F. The build quality of the board is much better. I've never been to a keyboard meetup, but if you get a chance to attend one, usually, there's someone who will bring a Model F to try out.

Looks like my night's been planned! #goldendays

Typing on this Unicomp Buckling Spring keyboard... omg this is amazing. Sounds so dominant!!!

Back