Michigan will require people to work for their food stamps starting Oct. 1st

These types of ideas work fine in times of plenty. If we hit another recession, this will be a shit show and really harm those in need. Most Americans are less than a month away from being broke, adding extra requirements to get emergency assistance, is not as great as it sounds, imo.

Let's do an example, an unskilled worker is making $23 an hour in a factory. One day they get laid off or fired. Now instead of being able to look for a compatible job, which they may not find, they have to take the first $10. I know all sherdoggers make super bank and are independently wealthy, but most Americans would suffer drastically losing over half of their pay.

Before I get the guys saying they can keep looking and work the other job, I just want you guys to know that it is a lot harder, than it is to type it out on a forum. Just try to understand why we have these programs, I believe it's better to have some scumbags getting a free ride, than it is to deny those in need.

That 10$ hr job where said person is working, possibly learning a skill, and paying taxes back into the system >>>sitting on ass collecting food stamps not learning any skills and not being productive at all.

I believe it's better to have some scumbags getting a free ride, than it is to deny those in need.
Helping people in need is the job of your neighbors and community.

I understand your point but hear this. The federal govt setting up welfare did more harm to the urban community than anything the last 50 years. The "free ride" has destroyed nearly everything that the urban black community and families once had.

Why? There is no need for a father to provide, you have the govt. instead. And the entitlement mentality and moral degradation in these communities have destroyed their communities.

I understand your statement. But it can be argued because you now have generations of families in urban America that will not even feed their own kids. The parents don't use the food stamps to feed kids, the schools know this and are now providing 3 meals a day cause so many urban parents are selling the food stamps to buy alcohol and drugs.

My point, the "free ride" has ruined generations of people and the cycle will never be broken for many.

I might be mistaken, but I dont think this is "new" policy but a return to pre GFC policy. I believe the requirements were laxed during the GFC when there just weren't enough jobs.

I could be wrong, I'm not from Michigan.

Thats what I thought as well.

I had foodstamps back in the day and I quit my job and lost them almost right away

Helping people in need is the job of your neighbors and community.

I understand your point but hear this. The federal govt setting up welfare did more harm to the urban community than anything the last 50 years. The "free ride" has destroyed nearly everything that the urban black community and families once had.

Why? There is no need for a father to provide, you have the govt. instead. And the entitlement mentality and moral degradation in these communities have destroyed their communities.

I understand your statement. But it can be argued because you now have generations of families in urban America that will not even feed their own kids. The parents don't use the food stamps to feed kids, the schools know this and are now providing 3 meals a day cause so many urban parents are selling the food stamps to buy alcohol and drugs.

My point, the "free ride" has ruined generations of people and the cycle will never be broken for many.

Our social issues are a lot more complicated than just being welfare. To pretend otherwise is a joke.

These types of ideas work fine in times of plenty. If we hit another recession, this will be a shit show and really harm those in need. Most Americans are less than a month away from being broke, adding extra requirements to get emergency assistance, is not as great as it sounds, imo.

Let's do an example, an unskilled worker is making $23 an hour in a factory. One day they get laid off or fired. Now instead of being able to look for a compatible job, which they may not find, they have to take the first $10. I know all sherdoggers make super bank and are independently wealthy, but most Americans would suffer drastically losing over half of their pay.

Before I get the guys saying they can keep looking and work the other job, I just want you guys to know that it is a lot harder, than it is to type it out on a forum. Just try to understand why we have these programs, I believe it's better to have some scumbags getting a free ride, than it is to deny those in need.

Why would they need to take the first $10/hour job they're offered? If they're laid off would they not qualify for unemployment? Which also has stipulations of seeking employment in order to receive the benefits . . . now if they're fired for poor performance they should definitely take the first $10/hour job they're offered.

This would only impact them if they don't have dependents though . . . right?

You can provide for those in need and still weed out the scumbags . . .

Why would they need to take the first $10/hour job they're offered? If they're laid off would they not qualify for unemployment? Which also has stipulations of seeking employment in order to receive the benefits . . . now if they're fired for poor performance they should definitely take the first $10/hour job they're offered.

This would only impact them if they don't have dependents though . . . right?

You can provide for those in need and still weed out the scumbags . . .

I don't know how unemployment works in Michigan, but in Missouri you are assigned a certain number of jobs you have to apply at. Then you have to keep record of who it is you talked to and when. You fill out this information each week. If they call you in to check your information and it is not complete then you are subject to having to pay back the money if they decide to press the issue. You will definitely be cut off of unemployment.

If anyone offers you a job of more than 20 hours a week and you refuse, regardless of the pay, then you lose your unemployment. This forces people to be way less picky about the jobs they apply to, since they aren't allowed to keep reapplying at the same places.

Since the largest problem with the law IMO, comes when there is a recession and there are not jobs for people to take. The law should have emergency provisions in case of a recession. Like I said stuff like this work fine when plenty of jobs are available.

At face value this seems acceptable.
I like the idea of paying for stamps through service to the community, doing cleanup or similar that benefit everybody

A good way to stamp out the lazy!

Most-Liquor-Stores-Throughout-U.S.-Now-Accepting-Food-Stamps.jpg
:p

Do you know where that store is located?
Asking for a friend.

Let's do an example, an unskilled worker is making $23 an hour in a factory. One day they get laid off or fired. Now instead of being able to look for a compatible job, which they may not find, they have to take the first $10.

This is super easy. If you lose a job that had you working a 40 hour week for $20 per hour and the best jobs you can find to replace it only pay $10 per hour you just accept employment at two of them and work 80 hours a week.

Problem solved. The 21st century 'Murican way.

That 10$ hr job where said person is working, possibly learning a skill, and paying taxes back into the system >>>sitting on ass collecting food stamps not learning any skills and not being productive at all.

Yes, except you can't flood everyone into skilled labor positions. Also now what is said person going to do about their housing, car, and other bills that they had on a $23/hour job? Fuck them right? Let's not pretend that as you age you are less likely to be able to learn new skills. You shouldnt expect people in their 50s to all of a sudden become apprentice electricians.

I think that here in Toronto we should put the "asylum seekers" to work. I mean they get paid by us taxpayers to just go shopping and hang out all day, they should be picking up garbage off the street or something.

2 Thessalonians 3

10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

But the Bible is bullshit rip

"For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken. No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." (Leviticus 21:18-21)

Yes, except you can't flood everyone into skilled labor positions. Also now what is said person going to do about their housing, car, and other bills that they had on a $23/hour job? Fuck them right? Let's not pretend that as you age you are less likely to be able to learn new skills. You shouldnt expect people in their 50s to all of a sudden become apprentice electricians.

What are food stamps going to do about those things?

What are you arguing for here exactly? This thread is about able bodied people working if they want to continue to get government assistance.

I know you're making a joke, but I had to work 75 hours a week for a couple of years straight to get to where I am now. Sometimes even 85-90 hour weeks during tax season. If not, I would not have near the level of success I enjoy today. Never once cried about it or made excuses about the "toughness". In comparison to where my future goals are, I'm still a nobody in my mind. You do what needs to be done to get to where you need to be, or you don't. It really is that straightforward.

Folks with your Protestant American work ethic are the reason the top 1 percent own more collective wealth than the bottom 90 percent. I commend you for your intense commitment to the undermining of your own self-interest.

Edit: delete

Back