Michigan Tech University student aressted for making racial threats

Old thread to bump, but I figure it is better than starting a new one. This is a little closer to where I live as well, and I was wondering what the War Room thought of the new developments on this. Particularly, I am wondering if anyone could reasonably rationalize the University's point of view here. Since the OP made this thread the following has come to light:

• Shultz's actual Yik Yak Post said, "Gonna shoot all black people.......a smile tomorrow :)"
  • A screen shot of the original post was sent to a MTU official by a non-student but there was not response.
  • An edited screen shot of the post (the one in the OP) was sent next by the same non-student and there as an immediate response and of course the resulting outrage.
There are other noteworthy parts of the story, including Yik Yak not giving them the identity of the student, as they did not view what he said to be a threat (MTU originally sent them the edited Screen Shot, and only sent the full one after they were notified it was cropped). Michigan Tech eventually received a Search Warrant to force Yik Yak to comply. They guy was expelled and charged with Domestic Terror (eventually dropped with the Sheriff citing, "communication problems with the University").

I saw this story on numerous other news sites at the time, some national, and none of them had the full post. Every single one omitted the, "......a smile tomorrow :)" at the end. I assume the edited screen shot was the one MTU sent out to the press.

Does this guy have a case? Is there any rationalization I am not seeing here from the University's perspective? Without working some serious mental gymnastics I struggle to see how anyone could take his post as a serious threat.

Link: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/09/poster_boy_for_white_hatred_mi.html

What he posted was idiotic, but expelling him and even considering charging with domestic terror (unless he had actual intent) is asinine imo.

It was clearly a joke, a dumbass joke, but clearly a joke none the less.

I graduated from this school 2 years ago.

How the school handled it was fucking horrible. Someone tweeted an altered yik yak screen shot of "gonna shoot all black people" and the school and police rightly rushed in and grabbed the guy for questioning.

But then, when it was revealed the post was "gonna shoot all black people... A smile tomorrow" the school went 100% insane and twisted all the facts. The police didn't charge the kid, just said that what he did was pretty stupid, and then the school KNOWINGLY sent the ALTERED screen shot to all the papers and held a protest March against the kid and expelled him.

Fuck Michigan Tech administration. I hope they get their pants sued off. All the kid wants is to be let back in and tuition. Should sue for millions and make that overcharging school pay

Terroristic threatening. Same as if he said he was going to bomb something. Implied intent is for mass casualties. Book'em Dano.

Full story of what actually happened, and why Michigan Tech in their desire to please the regressives purposely disregarded the truth for their own virtue signalling

http://detne.ws/2m6gJ4f

"
“Gonna shoot all black people. . . . . . .A smile tomorrow,” wrote Schultz, adding a smiley face.

Another Michigan Tech student who read the post sent it to a school administrator and then, removing the words “A smile tomorrow,” sent the doctored post to the administrator, school police and school Twitter account, according to court records."

Meanwhile various school administrators, when discussing the case publicly, continued to refer to the doctored post, despite campus police having been told from the outset that it had been cropped.

“We will be marching to protest the lack of stringent charges,” president cook wrote in the Nov. 15 email, which was released by the college. “Our life is not a joke.”

@Lionel Mandrake , can you edit the OP to include this link so people know the real story?

Last edited:
What he posted was idiotic, but expelling him and even considering charging with domestic terror (unless he had actual intent) is asinine imo.

It was clearly a joke, a dumbass joke, but clearly a joke none the less.
You can't take those kinds of "jokes" lightly anymore.

How the school handled it was fucking horrible. Someone tweeted an altered yik yak screen shot of "gonna shoot all black people" and the school and police rightly rushed in and grabbed the guy for questioning.

But then, when it was revealed the post was "gonna shoot all black people... A smile tomorrow" the school went 100% insane and twisted all the facts. The police didn't charge the kid, just said that what he did was pretty stupid, and then the school KNOWINGLY sent the ALTERED screen shot to all the papers and held a protest March against the kid and expelled him.

Fuck Michigan Tech administration. I hope they get their pants sued off. All the kid wants is to be let back in and tuition. Should sue for millions and make that overcharging school pay
Sounds like that school is a bitch. Kinda like the schools that automatically assume guilt and destroy a mans life if a woman screams rape even though there was/is no proof and they even sometimes lie about it . (happened before)

When I clicked on the link I got a Page Not Found. What crime are they charging this moron with? I would certainly agree with him getting expelled from the University he attends if he agreed to a code of conduct when he applied.

EDIT: My apologies, wasn't aware this thread was necrobumped.

Thanks for the additional info. Hopefully, he sues them and they learn something from it.

You can't take those kinds of "jokes" lightly anymore.

Did you read his actual message, or are you still assuming that "gonna shoot all black people" was the entirety of it?

I think he was trolling - but trolling during a time when you have to be more cognisant of the current landscape.

I know this app has been banned from other schools.

If anything, he deserves to be punished for being stupid even if he is harmless.

Either way, black people are going to demand this cracker gets the full brunt of all forces.
As he should be. Be it trolling or a legit threat...you can't just blurt out you want to shoot someone no matter what race they are...making grave threats isn't one to take lightly.

Black people say kill all white people all the time and never get in trouble. Teachers even keep their jobs teaching white children and university students.

Why's this any different?

You have to be an idiot to write that even if it just trolling. I hope he wasn't serious about it. Wait, is he an international student? Can he lose his student visa over this? Send the idiot home. lol

Thanks for posting updates on this case @BlacknBlue and @HockeyBjj. Absolutely insane. Whoever it was who edited the screenshot and sent it to the school's administration is a terrible person, just an absolute pos. But the fact that the school learned the truth and still sacrificed this kid feed the ravenous appetite of the "progressive" swarm? Disgusting. This should cost anyone involved in that decision their careers.

Full story of what actually happened, and why Michigan Tech in their desire to please the regressives purposely disregarded the truth for their own virtue signalling

http://detne.ws/2m6gJ4f

"
“Gonna shoot all black people. . . . . . .A smile tomorrow,” wrote Schultz, adding a smiley face.

Another Michigan Tech student who read the post sent it to a school administrator and then, removing the words “A smile tomorrow,” sent the doctored post to the administrator, school police and school Twitter account, according to court records."

Meanwhile various school administrators, when discussing the case publicly, continued to refer to the doctored post, despite campus police having been told from the outset that it had been cropped.

“We will be marching to protest the lack of stringent charges,” president cook wrote in the Nov. 15 email, which was released by the college. “Our life is not a joke.”

@Lionel Mandrake , can you edit the OP to include this link so people know the real story?

“It can be interpreted many ways,” said Wesley McGowan, a black student who graduated last year, about the original post. “It could mean he would shoot me and then smile.”

No it can't you dumb fuck. You could only interpret it that way because you feel silly at being manipulated and rather than venting your frustration on the people who manipulated you, you're doubling down on the person who made the post and got fucked over. Fuckin idiots. After reading about this case, it's making my blood boil.

Back