Michael Johnson man......

no heart. he has lots of potential on his slick and fast boxing but when the fight goes on he can grind well.

Yeah his punches are world class, his sprawls looked insane as well, but he just seems to find a way to lose, that and he seems to fade as the fight goes on.
He didn't exactly fade in the Elkins fight. I expected him to gas hard after the first round but he looked very fresh when he got off the stool.
He's just not good off his back.

Guy is up there with Uriah Hall for me as most frustrating fighter to be a fan of. Flashes of brilliance but more than often usually losing to fighters they should have beaten.

Johnson is like a fish off his back. Wouldn’t mind seeing him face Yair Rodríguez, Jason Knight, Rick Glenn

Im glad I didn't go to that fight night in STL.

Alves fight canceled, hall/vitor fight canceled, pvz broke her arm, and mj lost...

I was mainly wanting to go to see Michael Johnson fight because he is one of my favorites, I would have left disappointed.

There's only one possible answer

AwWqgnV.jpg

All the guys he loses to are exceptionally tougher than most guys and either have superior grappling or striking. Michael Johnson is definitely a top 10 guy but he gets bad match ups for his style. He's just always going to be a gate keeper I guess but they should keep him around even if he has a couple more back to back losses for that reason. Young blood need a good test and he is a good fighter to evaluate where the younger guys on the roster climbing the ranks are.

Realistically, if he wants to keep his UFC tenure alive, the next fight's gotta be against someone whose just barely UFC level, as in someone whose lost at least his last two fights consecutively in decisive faction and so is also on the chopping block. Realistically, at this point another loss for MJ means there's nothing much the UFC gains from having him there even as a low rung gatekeeper and so there'd be no practical choice but to cut him. So it seems the course of action is a FW ranked 15-20 or so, and he'd naturally have to leave if he lost.

Dominates Elkins in round one, proceeds to get tapped in the second.

Rocks and Almost finishes Gaethje, proceeds to get stopped in the second.

Gets Dominated by Khabib bell to bell.

KO'd Poirer and looked amazing doing so.

Lost a decision to Nate, and a split to Dariush.

Beat Barboza

Beat Tony several years ago

KO'd Tibau a few years ago.

This guy is so inconsistent, could be top 5 in 145 or 155, but just cant seem to put it together. He needs to work on his ground game. I think he deserves to be in the UFC, but he has lost 5 out of 6 fights. Who should he fight next?
Gatekeeper at best. One more loss and he will be gone.

Johnson throws the same 1-2 over and over. He negates his hand speed by telegraphing his punches and being predictable. Has no bottom guard whatsoever and lousy takedown defense. Watch his fights with Miles Jury and Madadi. MMA takedown defense is not synonymous with amateur wrestling ability. He can beat some guys who just want to bang with his power and speed. Would have trouble with any fighter who has a decent fight IQ.

Back