Michael Jai White claims Kyokushin is the only traditional martial art left not watered down

There is evidence that they used their hands to fight - we don't know if they wore gloves or not - or something else on their fists and what the rules specifically were.

There are Sumerian & Ancient Egyptian artefacts depicting this so the evidence exists.

Whether or not that's technically boxing is irrelevant - as like you said even the Greeks/Egyptians are debatable. I was only responding to the claim that the ancient Egyptians & Greeks spread boxing to Asia - which is not true since there are artefacts there that are older than ancient Greek artefacts depicting some form of unarmed hand combat.

So you have no written evidence, just some pictures.......okay......I got you......

"Mumble rap" God I hate that trash.
Absolutely agreed on all the rest.
Are the lower level guys being gifted decisions by incompetent judges? Or are they nothing to worry about?

Nah, they aren't much to worry about, from what I've seen. The only way judges would gift them a decision is if they are a draw (bring in crowds to buy tickets, etc.), which none are because you have to get to the top before that happens and they're all lacking enough to where they can't even keep from getting chewed up early on, primarily by very aggressive fighters like the Mexicans (of which there is an unending supply at the low and middle pro levels). They get filtered out quick.

It's just a temporary thing, imo. It's actually very hard if not impossible to do something like that all night without having polished fundamentals, since defensive boxing requires a more advanced/difficult skillset to do correctly than offensive boxing. This is also the reason why it dominates in MMA - because to just even adequately defend against it, you have to be better at boxing than the guy coming at you with it (which isnt quite true for the other martial arts bases, imo, even wrestling). The only other way to defend against boxing is to neutralize them with a fighting discipline they are completely unfamiliar with (which previously would be grappling), which in MMA training at this point in time, is just not going to happen.

Last edited:
How many fights have you done?

Funny you should ask. I just had a gym war with a competitive kickboxer who kicked me square in the jaw, full swing, kickboxing style. No head protection or mouthpiece.Didn't even faze me, although it did felt like he dislocated it for a few seconds....

I'm not gonna pretend that I'm a bad ass, but I do have a granite jaw. Always good to know. He admitted that it was was thrown at full contact. Such a douche.

Last edited:
But they aren't martial arts in the same way, with philosophy, a "sensei", etc. You know what I'm sayin.

You have Kru and Ajarns and the philosophy and buddhism actually plays a big part in muay thai.

You have Kru and Ajarns and the philosophy and buddhism actually plays a big part in muay thai.

There is a reason that some Nak Muay have Buddhist prayer tattoos....... spacetime is a troll......

Funny you should ask. I just had a gym war with a competitive kickboxer who kicked me square in the jaw, full swing, kickboxing style. No head protection or mouthpiece.Didn't even faze me, although it did felt like he dislocated it for a few seconds....

I'm not gonna pretend that I'm a bad ass, but I do have a granite jaw. Always good to know. He admitted that it was was thrown at full contact. Such a douche.

<DontBelieve1>

It's true. Do you think a boxing gym is more safe sparringwise, than a hard kickboxing place with this dude? I can't keep up in the kicking, so I just drop the kicking it and try and counter with boxing, which is hopeless because my boxing is home cooked. Couldn't this be dangerous in the long run, I can't anticpate all those kicks and they lander harder than punches.

So you have no written evidence, just some pictures.......okay......I got you......

080.jpg

It's funny that you haven't mentioned being factually wrong about wrestling. But now you're hung up about whether those reliefs are technically boxing - when I've already said in my earlier posts that it's debatable. You have physical evidence in reliefs but you're ignoring that and now you want written evidence. Google is your friend.

What you can't dance around is the fact that you said Ancient Greece could have transmuted boxing/wrestling over to Asia - without realizing that there were civilizations in those parts of the world that predated Greece by thousands of years.

But all of this is pointless because regardless of evidence it's pretty logical to assume that boxing/wrestling has been in every part of the world since humanity first began - like I said in my first post.

I don't get why you were butthurt though. I get corrected on sherdog many a time - it's the internet nothing to be butthurt about.

I wasn't referring to what the participants in the sport thought...more what the definition of a martial art is in general (and katas aren't a requirement).

And pretty sure the ancient Greeks were boxing...they were GnP'ing for sure:

The ancient greeks had fisticuffs, grappling and combinations thereoff. That does not mean that the boxing, wrestling and mma today are direct descendants other than in the sense that it is sports using the same sets of weapons (hands in the case of boxing) and in that case ALL arts are descendants since no new bodyparts have been developed for use as weapons since the ancient greeks. Martial arts claims unbroken lineages of skills and principles (often of stuff no longer useable or allowed due to changes in equipment and development of rules). Not even recreating skills from old manuals are accepted as replacement for the unbroken teacher-student chain for martial arts.

Who taught MJW Kyokushin? Ive read that he got his black belt in his very early teens in the style which sounds fishy no?

From what little he shows he looks more like a shinypants style kickboxer than a knockdown karateka

The ancient greeks had fisticuffs, grappling and combinations thereoff. That does not mean that the boxing, wrestling and mma today are direct descendants other than in the sense that it is sports using the same sets of weapons (hands in the case of boxing) and in that case ALL arts are descendants since no new bodyparts have been developed for use as weapons since the ancient greeks. Martial arts claims unbroken lineages of skills and principles (often of stuff no longer useable or allowed due to changes in equipment and development of rules). Not even recreating skills from old manuals are accepted as replacement for the unbroken teacher-student chain for martial arts.
250px-Young_boxers_fresco%2C_Akrotiri%2C_Greece.jpg

Back