Michael Gerson on rightwing Evangelicalism

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

Good listen:

I'm a Christian. I don't consider myself evangelical but I'm a member of an evangelical forum and find it disturbing just how rightwing most of its members are. From supporting the GOP's attempt to make health insurance more expensive for people with expensive needs, to quoting fringe minority "scientists" who claim greenhouse gases have no effect on the climate, to Trump's debt-increasing tax cut for the rich, most of the evangelicals I've encountered online are gungho for Trump. The rightwing, anti-rational ethos of evangelicalism has contributed to my crisis of faith.

TS, is your gripe with Christians who support Trump and don't accept scientific "consensus"?

What if scientific consensus disagrees when the Bible, whose word do you accept.. man's or Gods?

George-Costanza-Popcorn.gif

What if scientific consensus disagrees when the Bible, whose word do you accept.. man's or Gods?

I think much of the Bible (especially Genesis 1-11) is not actual history. If the archaeological consensus is that the OT genocides didn't happen or the scientific consensus is that the Earth is billions of years old, I accept it.

What scientists can never prove is that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, which is the bedrock of my faith. A 6000 year old Earth, worldwide flood, etc are not. The evidence of each issue needs to be weighed on its own merit. Resurrection apologetics are compelling. Fundamentalist "science" is not.

I think much of the Bible (especially Genesis 1-11) is not actual history. If the archaeological consensus is that the OT genocides didn't happen or the scientific consensus is that the Earth is billions of years old, I accept it.

What scientists can never prove is that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, which is the bedrock of my faith. A 6000 year old Earth, worldwide flood, etc are not. The evidence of each issue needs to be weighed on its own merit. Resurrection apologetics are compelling. Fundamentalist "science" is not.

On what basis do you believe Jesus rose from the dead if you don't believe the Bible completely?

Man Seinfeld never gets old. But not to derail...I do wish Christians weren't made out to be such horrible people. True Christians are rare as fuck. Many people play the part until they are behind closed doors. I identify as Christian, and I smoke pot and drink beer.

Man Seinfeld never gets old. But not to derail...I do wish Christians weren't made out to be such horrible people. True Christians are rare as fuck. Many people play the part until they are behind closed doors. I identify as Christian, and I smoke pot and drink beer.

Don't quote me on this but I've heard marijuana was a common medicine in Jesus' time, and beer was around as well(it killed microbes and such in water).

Don't quote me on this but I've heard marijuana was a common medicine in Jesus' time, and beer was around as well(it killed microbes and such in water).

I don't know about the marijuana part but the beer part is true. Many cultures drank beer or similar items because water wasn't safe.

A more revealing question is if a man openly violates the Bible's teaching on morality, should you embrace his actions or reject his actions while trying to correct his ways?

What scientists can never prove is that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, which is the bedrock of my faith.

This is a critical error in your reasoning.

Believing things because they cannot be demonstrated to be untrue is exactly backwards.

Belief should be reserved for things that can be demonstrated to be true.

Last edited:
A more revealing question is if a man openly violates the Bible's teaching on morality, should you embrace his actions or reject his actions while trying to correct his ways?

You should reject his actions and encourage him to repent

You should reject his actions and encourage him to repent

Then I think that puts Evangelicals in a tough spot regarding Trump because they've shown very little interest in rejecting his actions or encouraging him to repent. Instead they've chosen to disregard his actions in exchange for earthly gains.

So...you're a devil worshipper ?

Then I think that puts Evangelicals in a tough spot regarding Trump because they've shown very little interest in rejecting his actions or encouraging him to repent. Instead they've chosen to disregard his actions in exchange for earthly gains.

That's not correct. I've only seen Christians acknowledge Trumps shortcomings. The disconnect is when you non-Christians try to argue we can't support a person in any endeavor if they are a sinner. Thats not Biblical whatsoever. That's also not intelligent.

So no...no tough spot.

Newsflash, the evangelical movement is completely hypocritical and concerned only with money and power and none of the actual teachings of Christ.

Good listen:

I'm a Christian. I don't consider myself evangelical but I'm a member of an evangelical forum and find it disturbing just how rightwing most of its members are. From supporting the GOP's attempt to make health insurance more expensive for people with expensive needs, to quoting fringe minority "scientists" who claim greenhouse gases have no effect on the climate, to Trump's debt-increasing tax cut for the rich, most of the evangelicals I've encountered online are gungho for Trump. The rightwing, anti-rational ethos of evangelicalism has contributed to my crisis of faith.

are you a zionist supporter?

Back