Social MGM sues Vegas shooting victims

Tupac's estate should sue Bruce Seldon for getting his ass kicked so fast.
Had Tyson kept it going one more round, we might have never heard of Drake.

sue them for what?

unlawful injuries related to their premises?

I get that it's a deterrent tactic, but what exactly are they being sued for (link isn't working for me)?

Didn't the movie theater in Colorado do this to prevent being financially responsible for the mass shooting as well?

They didn't ask any amount of money. It is to protect them from wrongfully being sued and paying out as if they are responsible for a random psycho killing people. There's always some greedy person looking to get rich by blaming someone else for something they didn't do. Always. I see no fault on MGM. They are protecting themselves and rightfully so.

Yup or they won the lawsuit against them. One of the two.

sue them for what?

unlawful injuries related to their premises?

I get that it's a deterrent tactic, but what exactly are they being sued for (link isn't working for me)?
I actually don't think anyone has started suing them yet, this is a pre-emptive strike by MGM the company to try and prevent people from suing them for damages/mental anguish and shit.

Yeah in practice I think it'd be a hard sell from the side of the people that were victims but for the company to sue them in advance of that is a super fucked up look.

I agree, it's a fucked up look, but I can't help but think it's necessary to stave off the hand-wringing moralistic claims, which are immanently unrealistic, calling for things like "securing the festival grounds." Simply put, it's only a matter of time before someone goes on TV with tears in their eyes saying "If only they had just done MORE to prevent it!" and diving right into a lawsuit demanding some untenable solution - so, getting ahead of the curve might actually be beneficial here. If you've been watching a culture that sues companies over spilled coffee being too hot, you have to realize that it's quite possible this is coming.

Really, the only objection I can see from this stems from emotional response - that being, the people being sued (not for any material recompense) are victims, and that being sued has this vindictive, accusatory connotation to it. It's pure outrage culture at work. "What? They're being SUED? Martha, where's my pitchfork?"

Before we demonize the company, ask yourself - and provide a clear, feasible answer - to the question of "What do we actually want companies to do in this situation?" Explain to us what effective measures should be taken - in Vegas - to prevent this from happening. As you're asking yourself that, pay careful attention to the possibility of unintended, or even expected, but unwanted consequences. There does come a point where we're trying to put nerf padding on the corner of existence and it just doesn't make sense to do so...

I actually don't think anyone has started suing them yet, this is a pre-emptive strike by MGM the company to try and prevent people from suing them for damages/mental anguish and shit.
no, I meant what specifically is MGM suing the victims for? Even w/ no damages being added, this seems like a 'sue a homeowner b/c you got hurt robbing it' type of situation

like what is the wording? i'm at work and can't access the link for some reason

I don't know how they can figure it out. But I would assume those people in the festival had a reasonable expectation that the MGM prevents a guy from being armed like that in his room?
If those kinds of rifles are available the only safe way to prevent someone from doing this would be to check for weapons.
It's just a matter of time until someone does it again. Now that somehow showed its possible with a high kill count.
it would be an unreasonable expectation.

No hotels currently in the US or most of the West, that I know of check the contents within the bags of those coming and going from their hotels.

It would result in significant extra costs and delays to travelers.

This might be addressed in the near future by new passive scan technology solutions that will be able to just scan all walk by luggage such as what Patriot One is developing in that area.

Passive scan technology, if it evolves and becomes mainstream will greatly reduce wait times at airports and for concerts, etc due to current screening slow downs.

no, I meant what specifically is MGM suing the victims for? Even w/ no damages being added, this seems like a 'sue a homeowner b/c you got hurt robbing it' type of situation

like what is the wording? i'm at work and can't access the link for some reason
This is what I saw in there:
MGM Resorts International filed complaints in Nevada and California, arguing it could not be held liable for any deaths, injuries or damages caused during the attack.

"Plaintiffs have no liability of any kind to defendants," the complaints argue.

It says the security company it hired was certified by the Department of Homeland Security and was therefore protected from liability under a 2002 federal act.

MGM argues that this protection extends to the hotel giant, as it hired the security firm.

oh ok cool

damn, I didn't even know it was possible to do this. Like a retroactive Prenup
Like, I know my group of friends and I were planning to go to that festival that year and all of us are like "exactly what can the festival goers sue for? The hotel company couldn't have prevented this" but we also all are in agreement.. pre-emptive lawsuits are REALLY fucked up looking.

That’s.... not a good pr move
<6>

Coconuts below the equator and a peanut above it.

We going to have TSA checkpoints at hotels now?

I've traveled with a rifle on hunting trips before so seeing those big ass long cases especially in Vegas where they have things like Shot Show and other firearms conventions the employees are probably so used to those they don't notice them. Or the golf bags which you can also use to transport guns.
Maybe getting sued out the ass will make hotels want to know what their guests are bringing onto their premises. Private property after all so if they want to check bags they can.

I am no lawyer but if some dude is able to carry up 25 AK47s and 10,000 rounds into his hotel room.
It might be a tiny bit the fault of the hotel.
Nah, these people need to try and get financially compensated from the killer. He’s gotta have a ton of cash somewhere.

Didn't the movie theater in Colorado do this to prevent being financially responsible for the mass shooting as well?

They didn't ask any amount of money. It is to protect them from wrongfully being sued and paying out as if they are responsible for a random psycho killing people. There's always some greedy person looking to get rich by blaming someone else for something they didn't do. Always. I see no fault on MGM. They are protecting themselves and rightfully so.
They can always defend themselves if and when the victims sue. But here they are going on the attack and suing first. Just fcuked up from an ethical/moral POV.

Don't know how you criticize MGM here. They should just face suit after suit? As if it's not shitty for victims of some madman to go after the hotel just because they're the deepest pockets that can be connected to the tragedy.

Maybe getting sued out the ass will make hotels want to know what their guests are bringing onto their premises. Private property after all so if they want to check bags they can.

Sounds like we should all hope they don't get sued out the ass then. Not much more cowardly than wanting every guest in America searched because of this one incident.

tumblr_o45vy9gdPf1tb3do1o1_400.gif

<mma4>

Back