Mexico Raises Its Minimum Wage By 10%

More than US?

SF used to be 10 dollars and now it's 14 and about to 15 dollars. That's a whopping 50%.

Seattle was 11 and now is 13 and talks of raising it to 15.

IDK about other places, but many places are raising it's minimum wage higher and higher.

I'm also not a fan of minimum wage increase. What other jobs have such a high increase? You're lucky if your normal job increases more than 3%. Heck you're lucky if it increases at all.

My union just fought for a one time 8% increase and that's suppose to be godly cuz we never got more than 3-5%. This new contract lasts 3 years.

8% for the length of the contact? We usually get offered 3% a year before negotiations start. Which equals out to a little over 6%

8% for the length of the contact? We usually get offered 3% a year before negotiations start. Which equals out to a little over 6%
teehee...Well no. First year is 8% then 3% is normal after that. I mean we always had 3% increase every year to make up for inflation. But inflation rises more than 3%.

Seems like a small concession to workers in order for them not to radicalize against a failing state (headed by the ultra-corrupt PRI) and as an incentive for them to not engage in criminal activities for more capital. I'd like to see how this is actually going to affect crime rates, recidivism, and economic growth.

I'm also not a fan of minimum wage increase. What other jobs have such a high increase? You're lucky if your normal job increases more than 3%. Heck you're lucky if it increases at all.
It's really unfair, I might just quit my job and apply to walmart.

It's really unfair, I might just quit my job and apply to walmart.
Might as well. Minimum wage job is catching up to normal jobs. My friend who works at walmart. IDK what he is but he got a few promotions and now he's making more than me and even bought his house before me.

I see many people leaving their jobs and going back to school cuz their jobs paid them close to nothing. Minimum wage is 14 an hr and their BA degree job is offering 19. Might as well wait tables and make more than that. It's no longer worth it to go to school unless it's law, computer science or something that pays a lot. Most of the graduate degrees are worthless.

Yea just quit your job and goto McDonald or something and continue to fight for a higher minimum wage. You will surpass everyone soon enough.

No fucking shit. I'm talking about policy direction, obviously.

But you're implying that regardless of what the minimum wage is in a given country, the right direction is up. You're giving zero attention/importance to current policy.

In what world is $4.70/day better than the US? That's not even a dollar/hour.

I have no idea the living expenses and exchange rate (you're most likely right that their minimum wage is shittier), but comparing the wages of other countries to ours, using our currency is fallacious. If rent only costs the equivalent of $30 a month, that's a pretty cushy wage.

Also:

4.70 a day is horrible, no matter how cheap rent is. Most stuff still costs the same. A TV or stereo costs the same as here. Food isn't all that much cheaper. That's why they risk everything to come over here, it's such a shit show over there. Corruption is destroying the country.

You done goofed, Homer. You done goofed.

I have no idea the living expenses and exchange rate (you're most likely right that their minimum wage is shittier), but comparing the wages of other countries to ours, using our currency is fallacious. If rent only costs the equivalent of $30 a month, that's a pretty cushy wage.

Also:

Exchange rate is about double, and the cost of living is a lot cheaper, but we're not even talking about comparable wages. Based on our standard of living, a minimum wage job here is better than one in Mexico. That's why immigration is really only going in one direction other than criminals moving there to escape arrest.

Exchange rate is about double, and the cost of living is a lot cheaper, but we're not even talking about comparable wages. Based on our standard of living, a minimum wage job here is better than one in Mexico. That's why immigration is really only going in one direction other than criminals moving there to escape arrest.

I do not disagree with any of this.

I can't stop watching and laughing at that Napoleon Dynamite clip I posted.

Fucking genius.

I can't stop watching and laughing at that Napoleon Dynamite clip I posted.

Fucking genius.
That movie is like 15 years old, and I still say to friends every now and then "how much you wanna bet I can throw a football over that mountain?". I always laugh at this too...

Is Mexico a union

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back