Mexican Style vs Other Styles

It fares well against puertorican style because it tends to make for some quality showdowns.

Maybe they just hate one another, though.

Mexicans tend to get the better of these matchups, but as some PR fans will be quick to point out, Mexicans and Mexican Americans outnumber ricans by like 20-1.

In my opinion, they make for the best scraps because PR fighters are generally Boxer-punchers.

So they come to fight, but will generally also look to use their feet too and work the angles (why Mosley always made for amazing fights versus Mexicans.)

This is in contrast to some of the Mexican v Mexican fights which, to me, can be dull. Nothing interesting about watching two dudes fight like they were chained at the waist -- punching eachother in the face for 12 rounds. Somebody please make somebody miss!

Mexicans tend to get the better of these matchups, but as some PR fans will be quick to point out, Mexicans and Mexican Americans outnumber ricans by like 20-1.

In my opinion, they make for the best scraps because PR fighters are generally Boxer-punchers.

So they come to fight, but will generally also look to use their feet too and work the angles (why Mosley always made for amazing fights versus Mexicans.)

This is in contrast to some of the Mexican v Mexican fights which, to me, can be dull. Nothing interesting about watching two dudes fight like they were chained at the waist -- punching eachother in the face for 12 rounds. Somebody please make somebody miss!

To me Puertoricans got a few nice Mexican feathers themselves. A few years ago I tried to make a list of the most significant Mexico-Puerto Rico fights since Sixto Escobar became the first Puertorican world champion against Mexico's Rodolfo Casanova. It looked fairly even to me.

Carlos Ortiz KO Sugar Ramos - 1966
Pipino Cuevas KO Angel Espada - 1976
Wilfredo Gomez KO Carlos Zarate - 1978
Wilfried Benitez SD Carlos Palomino - 1979
Salvador Sanchez KO Wilfredo Gomez - 1981
Wilfredo Gomez KO Lupe Pintor - 1982
José Luis Ramirez KO Edwin Rosario - 1984
Julio Cesar Chavez UD Hector Camacho - 1992
Felix Trinidad MD Oscar De la Hoya - 1999
Antonio Margarito KO Miguel Cotto - 2008

Quite a few gems in here. Gomez - Pintor is one of my all time favorite fights.

You're right about the matchups. Brawlers vs boxer-punchers is entertaining more often than not.

To me Puertoricans got a few nice Mexican feathers themselves. A few years ago I tried to make a list of the most significant Mexico-Puerto Rico fights since Sixto Escobar became the first Puertorican world champion against Mexico's Rodolfo Casanova. It looked fairly even to me.

You're right about the matchups. Brawlers vs boxer-punchers is entertaining more often than not.

Historically? For sure. But a number of high profile PR fighter's have had really bad losses in recent years (Salido, himself a great example of 'mexican style', took out JMM, Roman and the other guy, the gay one, who's name i dont recall.)

Maybe that's skewing my perception. I re-watched Sanchez/Gomez earlier this year, and Gomez just wasn't up to the weightclass. Don't think i've ever seen a fighter be that depreciated from simply moving up one division. He had neither the pop nor the whiskers at 126 that he had at 122 (didn't help that SS was an all-time great :))

My favorite of recent history is still Tito Trinidad beating Ferocious' up and taking his zero. That and the Daniel Santos/Margarito fight were Margs told him, and i'm paraphrasing, "You win", after Santos had outfought him.

Can't speak to the other pre-90's fights from memory. But thanks for the list. I'm gonna revisit a few of them.

To address the OP, i pretty much second what Ironfist05 posted... post #10. Broadly speaking, they are a product of their environments. Mexican fighters tend to turn pro young, so end up fighting more like pro's. European fighters tend to have long(er) amateur schooling and come up through those ranks, picking up some habits that are not ideal for pro-boxing.

Great list here.

I’d like to add that Chavez also took it to Rosario. That fight was truly Chavez 101. Beautiful fight by him.

Salido/López fights were solid too.

Also, to this day, i simply can’t see how Trinidad beat de la Hoya.

Last edited:
There's a technique called gangnam style. Looks effective.

Watch a bunch of boxing fights and you'll notice that most Mexicans have a lot of idiosyncrasies to their boxing that other boxers dont have.
Yep very true, I mean, all their gyms and coaches etc will be loosely connected naturally, certain styles and ideas, traits, habits etc become more frequent and there you can often legitimately tell from watching a boxer's style alone that he is Mexican, and those guys definitely aren't all sluggers or come forward pressure fighters.

But how people use "Mexican style" nowadays just seems to predominantly describe a certain kind of slugger already specified in other posts in this thread... I mean GGG doesn't at all look like a boxer who actually learned his craft in Mexican gyms from Mexican coaches etc whatsoever.

Put simply: european style centers around vision and movement, whereas mexican style is muscle memory and rhythm.

Danny Garcia KO Brandon Rios - 2018

Mexican style is Julio Cesar Chavez Art. Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera.

Back