Mexican Style vs Other Styles

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Often I’ll hear commentators describe boxers as having a Mexican Style of boxing. Sometimes it is even said of boxers who are not themselves Mexican, but nonetheless apparently exhibit a Mexican Style. So what qualities make up the Mexican Style of Boxing?

I’ve also heard the “Mexican Style” contrasted with a “European Style.” So what are the qualities that make up the “European Style?”

Are there other styles as well?

Take two to land one basically. I think the term is pretty overused tbh. Mexican style fighters would be like chavez sr or margarito.

Mexican style:

European style:

Often I’ll hear commentators describe boxers as having a Mexican Style of boxing. Sometimes it is even said of boxers who are not themselves Mexican, but nonetheless apparently exhibit a Mexican Style. So what qualities make up the Mexican Style of Boxing?

I’ve also heard the “Mexican Style” contrasted with a “European Style.” So what are the qualities that make up the “European Style?”

It used to mean that a fighter had tons of heart and relied more on punches and skill rather than a lot of fancy defensive footwork or ring movement. It was a way to compliment offensive fighters who didn't mind getting into firefights and didn't back off if they got hit.

The last several years it's become kind of ridiculous and overused. Some people use it to describe guys who are incredibly easy to hit or just plod forward throwing punches without cutting off the ring. Instead of calling a fighter stupid or a glutton for punishment they just say it's "mexican style" and it's turned into an insult as much as a compliment.

Mexican style is not brawling! But more staying closer to your apponent and and within the fire to deliver your power. Mexican style was named after Julio Cesar Chavez sr. and the way he walked forward relentlessly until his apponent opened up. You have to have a solid iron jaw to use that style.

I think when someone is referred to having a "European style", it's due to them coming off robotic, or looking more stiff, right?

They're talking about come forward pressure fighters who aren't afraid to get hit and have a consistent body attack. While there have been a lot of great Mexican fighters you can argue belong to this general archetype (Olivares, Zarate, and Chavez being the main ones), there are also tons of great Mexican fighters (Salvador Sanchez, Finito Lopez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, or Erik Morales, for example) who clearly don't fit this mold.

Mexican style is not brawling! But more staying closer to your apponent and and within the fire to deliver your power. Mexican style was named after Julio Cesar Chavez sr. and the way he walked forward relentlessly until his apponent opened up. You have to have a solid iron jaw to use that style.

There were many great and extremely popular Mexican pressure fighters before Chavez. The general association with the style and Mexico would have certainly predated Chavez's career.

There were many great Mexican pressure fighters before Chavez.

Yes but this thing about naming styles is a newer trend that don’t date back that far. I’m not too old and kind of drifted away from boxing a few years ago.

when I think the "continental Euro style" I think somebody like a Mikkel Kessler: generally good footwork and outfighting skills (particularly the jab) with power, but poor infighting ability and an over reliance on shelling up for defense. Generally somewhat stiff and upward, very textbook.

The Mexican style of boxing comes from the style of boxing called.

The swarmer (in-fighter, crowder) is a fighter who attempts to overwhelm his opponent by applying constant pressure — taking away an opponent's spacing and timing. Swarmers tend to have a very good bob and weave, good power, a good chin, and a tremendous punch output (resulting in a great need for stamina and conditioning). This style favors closing inside an opponent, overwhelming them with intensity and flurries of hooks and uppercuts. They tend to be fast on their feet which can make them difficult to evade for a slower fighter; or are great at cutting the ring with precise footwork. They also tend to have a good "chin" because this style usually involves being hit with many jabs before they can maneuver inside where they are more effective.[1] Many swarmers are often either shorter fighters or fighters with shorter reaches, especially in the heavier classes, that have to get in close to be effective. Tommy Burns was the shortest Heavyweight champion at 5'7, while Rocky Marciano had the shortest reach at 67-68 inches. One exception is Jack Dempsey, who was nearly 6'1 with a 77-inch reach. Famous swarmers include Henry Armstrong, Carmen Basilio, Nigel Benn, Melio Bettina,[2] Burns, Joe Calzaghe, Julio Cesar Chavez, Steve Collins, Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, Kid Gavilan, Gennady Golovkin, Román González, Harry Greb, Emile Griffith, Fighting Harada, Ricky Hatton, Jake LaMotta, Rocky Marciano, Terry McGovern,[3] Sam McVey, Battling Nelson, Bobo Olson, Manuel Ortiz, Floyd Patterson, Aaron Pryor, Alexander Povetkin, Sailor Tom Sharkey, David Tua, Mike Tyson, Micky Ward, Wilfredo Gomez and Mickey Walker.[4][5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_styles_and_technique

So Chavez was using the swarmer style of boxing and his trainers and teachers or people wanted to separate that style from the swarmer style so it was named the Mexican style of boxing.

Just like what happened with Jujitsu The Gracie's learned Judo and modified it like Bruce Lee did with certen styles of Martial Arts and named it, Jeet Kune Do. The Gracie's took Jujitsu or called Judo modified it making some changes and to separate it from Japanese jujitsu/Judo called it Brazilian Jujitsu. For Racial and Political and financial reasons, but all it is, is Japanese Jujitsu / judo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

The Mexican style of boxing is The Swarmer style of boxing with modifications, like going to the body more and other things. Their defensive style is quick short head movement coming forward but not like Mike Tyson who's head movement is side to side wider then the Mexican style.

But Mexican fighters don't only use the Swarmer style of boxing or in their Country called The Mexican style, they use all the styles.

Érik Isaac Morales Elvira, Boxer puncher, The boxer-puncher possesses many of the qualities of the out-boxer; hand speed, often an outstanding jab, combination and/or counter-punching skills, better defense and accuracy than a slugger, while possessing slugger type power. The Boxer-puncher may also be more willing to fight in an aggressive swarmer-style than an out-boxer.

Salvador Sánchez Narváez, Counter puncher, A counterpuncher utilizes techniques that require the opposing boxer to make a mistake, and then capitalizing on that mistake. A skilled counterpuncher can utilize such techniques as winning rounds with the jab or psychological tactics to entice an opponent to fall into an aggressive style that will exhaust him and leave him open for counterpunches

Marco Antonio Barrera Tapia, Switch hitter, A switch-hitter switches back and forth between a right-handed (orthodox) stance and a left-handed (southpaw) stance on purpose to confuse their opponents in a fight.

The Mexican style/Swarmer style became famous because of Chávez who was using that style to defeat everyone, but a couple of fighters Pernell Whitaker, Frankie Randle, and others. Chávez boxing record at one time was (87-0) So you can see why his style is praised by his people. It's exciting to the fans gets KO's and wins.
The Mexican style of boxing

The Swarmer style of boxing

You can see the styles are close to each other with a little modifications in the two styles. But both are the same style just named differently, by people to hype up a fighter and his country of origin and fans to separate the two from each other for Racial, financial and political reasons.

Last edited:
I am surprised that Mayweather's style of boxing, The Philly shell style of boxing is not called.
The Mayweather's style of boxing invented by The Mayweather family, by fans who don't no about different boxing styles or fighting styles like Jujitsu is really Judo with some modification. Because The Mayweather's family have modified the Philly shell and made it their own style.

I wouldn't be surprised that they don't name The Philly shell, The Mayweather's boxing style in about 20 years.

They're talking about come forward pressure fighters who aren't afraid to get hit and have a consistent body attack. While there have been a lot of great Mexican fighters you can argue belong to this general archetype (Olivares, Zarate, and Chavez being the main ones), there are also tons of great Mexican fighters (Salvador Sanchez, Finito Lopez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, or Erik Morales, for example) who clearly don't fit this mold.

I honestly never put much thought into "Mexican style" at all. It seems like a silly term to me, since the great Mexican fighters have differing styles. The thing that seems to unify the great Mexican fighters is a fearlessness, and a machismo. That is what Mexican style is to me, not really any super specific style. I don't know how somebody could watch Morales and Barrera go at it, and come away saying, "Na, not Mexican enough for me."

Technique wise, when I think of Mexican style what comes to mind is a really defensively solid guard and upper body posture (to help lesson damage when going forward) that also stays very compact when the fighter in question starts putting together punches.

Both hands are up. Chin down. Shoulder (s) up minding the jawline. And when all of the above are done: hands up. Chin down. Head down. Shoulder up etc... it gives the boxer in question a lot more cover and take less clean punches. Get rocked less often too.

Watch any Canelo fight or Mikey Garcia fight. Very very compact and disciplined, and structurally sound when punching. And when they decide to eat a punch their foundation is so solid that they can typically take one or two in order to land their power shots.

Fwiw, I don't consider apes like Margarito to be real "Mexican style." He was just crude brawler/puncher.

It fares well against puertorican style because it tends to make for some quality showdowns.

Maybe they just hate one another, though.

European style looks like fencing

Mexican style looks like wrestling, or a dog fight

European style - Setting up 1 - 2 combinations, fighting upright and at longer distance.

Mexican style - In fighting with a lot of hooks, fighting while leaning into each other / liver punches galore.

People say GGG is a mexican style fighter because he throws strong hooks to the body, fights aggressively / asserts dominance, and isn't afraid to get hit. A big part of mexican boxing to fans is "HEART."

Mexican style is a super simplistic term. It really picked up steam once ggg started using it. He used that term because he realized that he found a Latino audience who liked him and his style.

Fact is that a lot of Mexico’s greatest boxers were/are great counter punches and overall solid slicksters.

Take a look at fighters like Márquez. He didn’t mind banging when he had to, but he is a counter puncher. Take a look at finito López. López and Márquez were both trained by nacho

Take a looks at Salvador Sanchez (whom I think is the best Mexican boxer ever).

Even Chávez who is widley known as a brawler had really underrated defense.

“Mexican style” is a stereotype, code for “brawler”

I am surprised that Mayweather's style of boxing, The Philly shell style of boxing is not called.
The Mayweather's style of boxing invented by The Mayweather family, by fans who don't no about different boxing styles or fighting styles like Jujitsu is really Judo with some modification. Because The Mayweather's family have modified the Philly shell and made it their own style.

I wouldn't be surprised that they don't name The Philly shell, The Mayweather's boxing style in about 20 years.
Alot of people today don’t even know it’s called the philly shell. I’ve heard a lot of people refer to it and simply “shoulder roll”

Watch a bunch of boxing fights and you'll notice that most Mexicans have a lot of idiosyncrasies to their boxing that other boxers dont have. Even though no two are exactly 1000% alike, saying there is no actual Mexican boxing style is like saying there is no such thing as Mexican facial features.

Back