Mexican man kills himself after being deported from US

3rd time means he was probably deported during Obama's term. Therefore Obama is literally Hitler

But aren't deportations at an all time high with an Obama administration? Surely it's from those after effects.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...rgias-immigration-law-backfires/#110bf08b404a

To forgo a repeat of last year, when labor shortages triggered an estimated $140 million in agricultural losses, as crops rotted in the fields, officials in Georgia are now dispatching prisoners to the state’s farms to help harvest fruit and vegetables.

The labor shortages, which also have affected the hotel and restaurant industries, are a consequence of Georgia’s immigration enforcement law, HB 87, which was passed last year. As State Rep. Matt Ramsey, one of the bill’s authors, said at the time, “Our goal is … to eliminate incentives for illegal aliens to cross into our state.”

The dirty secret that everybody knew was that most of the state’s agricultural workers were immigrants, many of them illegal. Some lived in the state; others migrated with the harvest from southern Florida up to New York and back. Some of the former have moved away, while many of the latter are bypassing Georgia. Without them, according to a University of Georgia study, farmers were about 40 percent short of the number of workers they needed to harvest last year’s crop.

Despite high unemployment in the state, most Georgians don’t want such back-breaking jobs, nor do they have the necessary skills. According to Dick Minor, president of the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Grower’s Association, immigrants “are pretty much professional harvesters” with many specializing in particular crops.

Those farmers are idiots and need to invest in a better workforce or better equipment. Or they need to advertise their open jobs properly.

By believing it is a self-control issue. Suicidality is no more a self-control issue than alcoholism or schizophrenia.

Let me clarify- I wasn't saying that. I was saying that external causes (with some extreme exceptions) are not at fault for someone committing suicide. Specifically in the context of this thread I'm simply saying America isn't at fault for his suicide because they kicked him out of the country.

I'm not saying it's always wrong, I'm just countering the idea that its an absolute necessity for industries to survive.

They could survive paying legal wages, they just won't make as much profits....
Food isn't cheap to grow, harvest, package, ship, buy, etc. And while the work doesn't take a rocket scientist to do, it's some of the most physically taxing. At some point farmers need to stop hiring illegals and start offering higher wages. Groceries for a family of 4 may become a second mortgage each month, but that's just the price to pay for being fair to American citizens and its legal workers.

We can also ditch the idea of a 20% tariff and import more Mexican crops. It helps two-fold; more agriculture jobs in Mexico means less incentive to illegally immigrate, and more importantly, it means adding growth to Mexico's economy.

Let me clarify- I wasn't saying that. I was saying that external causes (with some extreme exceptions) are not at fault for someone committing suicide. Specifically in the context of this thread I'm simply saying America isn't at fault for his suicide because they kicked him out of the country.

We have no idea what actually precipitated this man's suicide. At most, America's actions contributed to an entirely unintended consequence.

Food isn't cheap to grow, harvest, package, ship, buy, etc. And while the work doesn't take a rocket scientist to do, it's some of the most physically taxing. At some point farmers need to stop hiring illegals and start offering higher wages. Groceries for a family of 4 may become a second mortgage each month, but that's just the price to pay for being fair to American citizens and its legal workers.

This thinking is just a product of scare-tactic propaganda coming from corporate farms.

The island continent of Australia gives us a good idea of what the prices of home-grown agricultural products can look like when labor is performed entirely by a nation's citizens - and for a living wage.

We have no idea what actually precipitated this man's suicide. At most, America's actions contributed to an entirely unintended consequence.

Ya that's fair enough. Should they have acted differently though? Should they act differently in the future because other illegal immigrants may also kill themselves as a result of deportation?

This thinking is just a product of scare-tactic propaganda coming from corporate farms.

The island continent of Australia gives us a good idea of what the prices of home-grown agricultural products can look like when labor is performed entirely by a nation's citizens - and for a living wage.
Does Australia produce some 80% of the world's nuts? Because California does. Not saying there isn't truth to corporate farming spreading bullshit, but American agriculture is much more dynamic than any other country's in the world.

Would be interesting to see how much other countries pay for groceries each month per person on average.

Ya that's fair enough. Should they have acted differently though? Should they act differently in the future because other illegal immigrants may also kill themselves as a result of deportation?

That's not the way law enforcement works. Should we refrain from arresting the thief because he might hang himself in his jail cell? Of course not.

That's not the way law enforcement works. Should we refrain from arresting the thief because he might hang himself in his jail cell? Of course not.

Exactly, that's essentially all I was saying.

Not our problem.

His choice to illegally immigrate, be a criminal and risk deportation.

Choices have consequences.

This is all on him, own it.

Those farmers are idiots and need to invest in a better workforce or better equipment. Or they need to advertise their open jobs properly.

These are not jobs generally sought by citizens. Last year, the North Carolina Growers Assn., which helps farmers such as Barr fill out the H-2A paperwork, spent $98,000 on advertising for the 8,000 jobs its members were seeking to fill. Just over 250 U.S. workers applied for the jobs, but 70 never showed up, about 180 quit in the first two days, and just 10 finished the season.

"That's the frustration; the whole program is set up to give preference to U.S. workers," said Lee Wicker, the group's deputy director. "But U.S. workers don't want to do these jobs, and I don't say I blame them."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-guest-worker-20130331-dto-htmlstory.html

If Americans truly don't want to do the work, we can always setup temp worker programs.

Bring them in, they work, we take them back.

Back