Mexican Boxing Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think Reyes sponsor JMM?

Reyes are going to be better quality but everyone likes different things. There are a lot of relatively cheap gloves that I'd much prefer using over Cletos for a variety of reasons

are Reyes really too hard for sparring???? That is my concern, as I need some new sparring gloves and wanted Zepols

they're not really too hard, the padding is actually very soft. The problem is your knuckles go through them a little bit, so they're not the nicest option but whatever, they're not all that bad

Why do you think Reyes sponsor JMM?

Reyes are going to be better quality but everyone likes different things. There are a lot of relatively cheap gloves that I'd much prefer using over Cletos for a variety of reasons

Well my point was to show hey...Marquez, barrera, morales, these guys are mexican legends and they all seem to pick Reyes...i'm not seeing Zepol for any of these guys..and I'd trust that if they like certain gloves...that there is a reason for it that must be legitimate and intelligent because they are for real fighters...you're not going to get sponsored by a company whose products you don't like (although I'm curious about Andre Ward with everlast :icon_lol:) so for the mexican legends to pick reyes over the other brands...i'm starting to think there may be some advantages to it because I would highly doubt that they never tried the other gloves. Morales is a bit of an anomaly since i do see him train in some other brands...but as far as I know...reyes is his main squeeze also...considering he's in your picture...you'd probably know better than me whether this is a valid claim to make.

Edit* On a side note...I've been reading reyes reviews...and people have been saying if you have small hands...don't get this size...if you have big hands...don't get this size...what are you guys using as the measuring stick for big hands? I've been assuming if I fight into 12oz Rivals that I'll fit 12oz reyes or even 10oz or something...however by short 5'7 people standards...I have big hands...roughly the same size of an average 6'2/6'3 person...but I don't really know how i can measure as "big" hand or not...it seems too vague a description.

Last edited:
Morales trains and fights in Winning mostly. Also seen him use Boxeo in a vid Juan posted. He probably has used Reyes though too

Reyes are great gloves. They have their downsides and aren't for everyone, though. Advantage = best made, great leather, great stitching and comfortable gloves.

On the other hand, some people find the thumb really stiff. More of a puncher's glove, so they've good knuckle placement and you can make a great fist in them, but they're not very protective. For those two reasons Id pick a lot of much more poorly made gloves over them. 16oz's hand compartment is too wide for mine as well, though that's not a problem at smaller weights as there's quite a difference between 14oz and 16oz Reyes.

Thanks...there is so much disagreement and issues with the concept of protection in the mexican gloves that I think I may just stay away from these kinds of gloves in the end considering how much they cost and the potential that they will hurt my hands more than basic rivals do in the end. Do you wear knuckleguards like JMM though Minow? I think he tries to make up for the protection with those.

Hi Guys,

I allways say than all depends on what you prefer, my choice for sparr it is in the next order: Zepol, Campeon, Reyes al in 16 ounces

for heavy bag and mitts: Boxeo, Zepol in 10 ounces.

But that is my taste.

About Mexican pro-boxers are a lot of them that use Zepol and Boxeo (Terrible Morales use Boxeo for sparr), many of that pro-boxers are not recognized outside M

No your english is fine...and really your patience is even finer because i've given you hell with all the questions i've been asking you lately and forum comments (probably stupid questions) i've been asking here also haha.

Zepol in 10oz on the bag though? Really you do this with just normal handwraps or do you add like gauze or winning ng-2 knuckle guards also...maybe you're hands are strong and the protection isn't that bad for you? More of your experiences is useful info because you really know these gloves inside and out...I'd love to visit a mexican boxing gym one day too btw...if I ever come down...I'll message!

No your english is fine...and really your patience is even finer because i've given you hell with all the questions i've been asking you lately and forum comments (probably stupid questions) i've been asking here also haha.

Zepol in 10oz on the bag though? Really you do this with just normal handwraps or do you add like gauze or winning ng-2 knuckle guards also...maybe you're hands are strong and the protection isn't that bad for you? More of your experiences is useful info because you really know these gloves inside and out...I'd love to visit a mexican boxing gym one day too btw...if I ever come down...I'll message!

I prefer Boxeos and Zepol for heavy bag because they allow you to bend the wrist to hit the heavybag using the right technic, in M

I bought some ringside knucleguards but mostly use them with my 18oz zepols. the reason is i like trowing realistic punches when sparring. not 100% but hard enogh to make some good contact. for pad work i have 10oz zepol so i can focus on hand speed and technique

Yes I do, I always use the Winning NG2s

And you still find they are not very protective? :eek: dang...

@deathstriker but i think since you wear 16oz from what i recall its not really a big deal whether you have knuckle guards...

@juanfco3 do you train on the bag or just padwork with the 10oz zepol? *just saw your pm's, maybe you answered this there.

@Technoir haha that was awesome...el miniatura!

@Minowa that's really interesting stuff...i wish I could try them all on and find out what type of guy i am... I think like someone pm'd me earlier...its a case of I may just have to try and if it doesn't work out...although it is 120 down the drain...i learned something and can look elsewhere...whereas if they work...that's great...my problem still lies in the fact that 120 isn't small for me...maybe i'm picky!

not really, you can probobly sell them and recover most of your money. I'm sure that if it didn't have my name on them i could sell my copper zepols and recover most of the money i paid for them

Selling online is something I need to get into...theres a lot of stuff (not boxing related) that I need to get rid of that I have never worn...especially when it comes to shoes and hats...one day I'll read up how not to get screwed by a buyer on ebay or accidentally break the law and start an account :D

telling you man just give zepols a shot you wont be disapointed. I would go for a 12oz laceups for a good bag and pad glove and get some hook and loop converters.

Yeah at the moment i'm leaning towards reyes since its more popular/tested with zepol as a close second over the other brands like ringsides and the "new generation" mainstream stuff right now...I'm waiting for death and usc to do reviews on their zepol gloves though before deciding...just doing my homework and such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back