Mexican Boxing Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw Technoir can you post some JC open face headgear with cheek protectors too? (You don't have to be wearing them) I'm too lazy to sort through 53 posts.

Btw the JC gloves are breaking in nicely and I love them for heavy bag and drills.

Hey Death.

Here the pics

orejeraazul1.jpg
[/url] picture hosting[/IMG]

upload photo

upload

Just got two pairs of custom Pacheco gloves from Juan. The hand compartment is nice and snug with 180" wraps. The knuckle protection is excellent. The wrist support is also excellent. As usual the customer service from Juan has been exceptional.

Blk_Gld.jpg

Blk_Gry.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Technoir, what would you say is the best open face headgear?

It is difficult to say that, JC gives excelent protection like You know because your gloves.

If You look for protection I can say so add JC can make custom and have very nice vision.

Reyes it is excelent but no custom.
Zepol, Casanova, Campe

It is difficult to say that, JC gives excelent protection like You know because your gloves.

If You look for protection I can say so add JC can make custom and have very nice vision.

Reyes it is excelent but no custom.
Zepol, Casanova, Campe

Thanks again Technoir!

Just curious, what brand do most boxers use at the gym? I was watching Fight Quest and at one of the top Boxing Gyms in Mexico City, everyone was wearing Winnings.

Pro boxer wants to use Winning, I think because it is very protective and because gives them some status.

but the trainers and Gym owners goes for Zepol, Boxeo, Campeon, Casanova because are very, very long lasting gear.

Nacho Beristain in his Gym (Romanza) have a lot of Boxeo boxing gear.

Many others have Reyes.

In the occidental side of M

Personally I think Winning is a status symbol, like compairing Rolex to Timex - both do the samething one just costs 10x more. After reading many reviews and finding a few that are totally unbias and honest, and from a friend in person, it sounds like the Winning headgear lacks decent padding on the ear/side of the head like my current Rival Mexican headgear. I would be bummed if I spent $250-$460+ on a headgear and I was still getting knocked around and headaches. I just can't wait till my Cleto Reyes headgear gets here, and I don't have to worry about breaking my nose in training.

Personally I will stick with my Mexican gear, because it is great quality gear at a affordable price

Personally I think Winning is a status symbol, like compairing Rolex to Timex - both do the samething one just costs 10x more. After reading many reviews and finding a few that are totally unbias and honest, and from a friend in person, it sounds like the Winning headgear lacks decent padding on the ear/side of the head like my current Rival Mexican headgear. I would be bummed if I spent $250-$460+ on a headgear and I was still getting knocked around and headaches. I just can't wait till my Cleto Reyes headgear gets here, and I don't have to worry about breaking my nose in training.

Personally I will stick with my Mexican gear, because it is great quality gear at a affordable price

Can't comment Winning headgear as I have never used it, but can comment gloves.
Blame me, but in fact I believe it's out of the question comparing Winning and Mexican gloves. Mexican gloves are hands down excellent - wonderful leather, lovely crafmanship. But the padding is latex (incl. Grant). Use it on a bag and it becomes denser.
The main difference between Winning gloves padding and latex is the Winning padding doesn't become denser and it lasts longer in general. So in this case they really do not do the same.

But overall Mexican gloves are absolutely awesome!
To be honest I would probably never buy Grant and would always prefer buying from Juan :cool:

Can't comment Winning headgear as I have never used it, but can comment gloves.
Blame me, but in fact I believe it's out of the question comparing Winning and Mexican gloves. Mexican gloves are hands down excellent - wonderful leather, lovely crafmanship. But the padding is latex (incl. Grant). Use it on a bag and it becomes denser.
The main difference between Winning gloves padding and latex is the Winning padding doesn't become denser and it lasts longer in general. So in this case they really do not do the same.

But overall Mexican gloves are absolutely awesome!
To be honest I would probably never buy Grant and would always prefer buying from Juan :cool:

From what I felt with the winning gloves, they are too soft for my liking; there is also someone else on here who feels the same way and is going to be selling their Winning glove, so Winning is just not for me.

From what I felt with the winning gloves, they are too soft for my liking; there is also someone else on here who feels the same way and is going to be selling their Winning glove, so Winning is just not for me.

Agree. Definitely a legit argument. Though personally I like them very much.

Also, with the latex foam - when my JCs arrived the foam was very hard and after doing a lot of bag work the foam softened up. It seems that Latex does not suffer the issue of becoming denser like open cell foam. I have a Latex foam bed and it has not got denser, quite the opposite, and I found this:

In manufacturing natural latex foam rubber, the latex suspension is whipped to a froth and poured into carousel molds, onto a conveyor, or into sheets (for sponge rubber carpet cushion), sometimes additionally frothed using CO2gas, chilled to below freezing, and then heated to the point of vulcanization (about 240

Also, with the latex foam - when my JCs arrived the foam was very hard and after doing a lot of bag work the foam softened up. It seems that Latex does not suffer the issue of becoming denser like open cell foam. I have a Latex foam bed and it has not got denser, quite the opposite

Yes and no. The ability of latex to recover the shape is the reason why you can find it in the most of the gloves nowdays. The other reason is because it's cheap :) However the mattress and the gloves are quite different things. Any latex foam in gloves (for exemple Thai brands like Twins, Fairtex, Windy or so) is perfectly fine even after a couple of years everywhere except the hitting area. The problem with gloves is the pressure is concentrated in a quite small area and there of course after some time it loses the ability to recover its shape. This is actually what I mean by "becomes denser". After some years the gloves still prevent your knuckles from "touching" a bag or a sparring partner, but the amortization is minimal and it is very bad for your joints. It's actually quite like with the running shoes - you can run in them for thousands miles, but after 500 miles your joints are damaged more and more.
The advantage of Winning foam is it's amortization. Somebody likes it, somebody doesn't, but it definitely makes your joints last much longer.

Last edited:
Yes and no. The ability of latex to recover the shape is the reason why you can find it in the most of the gloves nowdays. The other reason is because it's cheap :) However the mattress and the gloves are quite different things. Any latex foam in gloves (for exemple Thai brands like Twins, Fairtex, Windy or so) is perfectly fine even after a couple of years everywhere except the hitting area. The problem with gloves is the pressure is concentrated in a quite small area and there of course after some time it loses the ability to recover its shape. This is actually what I mean by "becomes denser". After some years the gloves still prevent your knuckles from "touching" a bag or a sparring partner, but the amortization is minimal and it is very bad for your joints. It's actually quite like with the running shoes - you can run in them for thousands miles, but after 500 miles your joints are damaged more and more.
The advantage of Winning foam is it's amortization. Somebody likes it, somebody doesn't, but it definitely makes your joints last much longer.

"Hand crafted in Thailand, Windy boxing gloves feature a four layer foam padding system, keeping your hands protected through even the most grueling training session or professional bout. Whatever your sport - Boxing, MMA, Kick Boxing or Muay Thai, Windy gloves will give you that extra power to land a lethal punch."

"Twins Special factory, these leather boxing gloves are crafted from the finest materials and constructed with care to endure through years of use in the toughest Muay Thai, Boxing, and MMA gyms in the world. Inside the boxing glove, high-quality multilayer foam protects your hand from impact."

Fairtex BGV5 (Pro Sparring Glove):
"These all-purpose training gloves are perfect sparring. They have a specially designed outer layer of foam to help cushion the blows during heavy sparing. The wraparound hook and loop wristband is easy to use and designed to provide a better fit for greater comfort and control. Three layers of evenly distributed padding protects your entire hand."

Sounds like it could be one of the other layers of foam failing; I met this guy, Roger who trains under my coach's friend, who came to spar at my gym a little while ago and he was using Cleto Reyes that were heavily used (5 years old, and a few rips in them) and the latex pad was still perfect and protective.

Last edited:
"Hand crafted in Thailand, Windy boxing gloves feature a four layer foam padding system, keeping your hands protected through even the most grueling training session or professional bout. Whatever your sport - Boxing, MMA, Kick Boxing or Muay Thai, Windy gloves will give you that extra power to land a lethal punch."

"Twins Special factory, these leather boxing gloves are crafted from the finest materials and constructed with care to endure through years of use in the toughest Muay Thai, Boxing, and MMA gyms in the world. Inside the boxing glove, high-quality multilayer foam protects your hand from impact."

Fairtex BGV5 (Pro Sparring Glove):
"These all-purpose training gloves are perfect sparring. They have a specially designed outer layer of foam to help cushion the blows during heavy sparing. The wraparound hook and loop wristband is easy to use and designed to provide a better fit for greater comfort and control. Three layers of evenly distributed padding protects your entire hand."

Sounds like it could be one of the other layers of foam failing; I met this guy, Roger who trains under my coach's friend, who came to spar at my gym a little while ago and he was using Cleto Reyes that were heavily used (5 years old, and a few rips in them) and the latex pad was still perfect and protective.

Fairtex: latex
http://www.best-muaythai-equipment.com/FAIRTEX-boxing-gloves.html
Twins: latex
http://www.best-muaythai-equipment.com/TWINS-boxing-gloves.html
Windy: latex
http://www.mmaoutlet.com/Windy-Muay-Thai-Gloves-P611.aspx

Hayabusa is latex too by the way

etc. etc. etc.

Can't comment 5 years Reyes as I have never seen such an old pair...
And I am not saying latex isn't protective. I am just saying Winning foam is way better for the joints than latex in general and much more than a well used latex foam. Latex foam protects your joints, but the amortization is, especially after some extensive use on a bag, not as soft (read not as high) as with Winning. This is not something you can feel in your joints after every training (well, you can, but it doesn't annoy enough), but definitely will do after many years.
Winning foam protects the joints very, very much more than latex. However latex isn't bad anyway.

Fairtex: latex
http://www.best-muaythai-equipment.com/FAIRTEX-boxing-gloves.html
Twins: latex
http://www.best-muaythai-equipment.com/TWINS-boxing-gloves.html
Windy: latex
http://www.mmaoutlet.com/Windy-Muay-Thai-Gloves-P611.aspx

Hayabusa is latex too by the way

etc. etc. etc.

Can't comment 5 years Reyes as I have never seen such an old pair...
And I am not saying latex isn't protective. I am just saying Winning foam is way better for the joints than latex in general and much more than a well used latex foam. Latex foam protects your joints, but the amortization is, especially after some extensive use on a bag, not as soft (read not as high) as with Winning. This is not something you can feel in your joints after every training (well, you can, but it doesn't annoy enough), but definitely will do after many years.
Winning foam protects the joints very, very much more than latex. However latex isn't bad anyway.

I am not saying they are not latex, they use a latex core with softer foams surrounding it.

To all the guys who ordered JCs, how is the paint holding up? The purple on my gloves seems a little thin in spots, and I am getting little white specks popping up; I think is it the primer coming through.

I am not saying they are not latex, they use a latex core with softer foams surrounding it.

To all the guys who ordered JCs, how is the paint holding up? The purple on my gloves seems a little thin in spots, and I am getting little white specks popping up; I think is it the primer coming through.

Hi Big.

You can send me your JCs I can ask Pacheco to repair the paint.

Saludos

Hi Big.

You can send me your JCs I can ask Pacheco to repair the paint.

Saludos

Thanks, that would be nice, but the cost of shipping it there and back would be kind of expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back