Method-2, a real 4-meter-tall human-piloted mech robot

The idea that the other poster presented of a drone swarm of kamakazi units seems extremely effective

Meh. Build some War Machine or Iron Man armour in real life, then I'll be impressed.;)

af3az.jpg

eh I will just take a .50 cal sniper with armor piercing bullets and give this mech a bad day.

I understand the train of thought, but it's not like tanks or other vehicles wouldn't have continued to improve during the same time frame.
Assuming both were at the zenith of technology, what are the kind of situations that a mech would be a more practical option than an LAV or tank?

They could be deployed in mountainous regions tanks could not get to since they have legs instead of wheels/treads.

Like using a horse to get around in rough terrain as opposed to a car.

Well have Walker Gears soon enough!!

latest

Besides looking totally bad ass, are their any situations where it is advantageous to a have bipedal assault vehicle instead of traditional vehicles?

Mountain fighting would be the first thing that comes to mind.

Of course it would have its downsides as well. Can't imagine using this in a marsh or bog.

I would add a psychological advantage to this tech. Hard to imagine seeing that on a battlefield, and not shitting yourself a bit.

m92Ayv4.gif

meanwhile in the united states...

They should probably make sure they can do stairs before thinking about fighting up a mountain.

nqKJIUP.gif

It depends entirely on whether the construct can ever begin to mimic human maneuverability.

At this point, I would regard them as being more for show. But if it could reach the speed and durability of a tank, while being more maneuverable, then it could potentially be useful in practise.

We do not necessarily use tanks or other armored vehicles because they are the apex of human innovation, but because they are simply and easy to build in massive numbers, without requiring much maintenance. 100 crude tanks will beat one costly robot, any time, in large-scale warfare.

If these kinds of models are ever properly developed, they would be built for the purpose of "special operations" in which a smaller quantity of elite troops would have to deal with a larger number of foes.

They have to figure out how to get around inertia before almost everything else.

A 20 foot tall mech falls over -for example- it's going to kill or severely fuck up the human inside. If it jumps or rockets too fast somewhere, it could fuck up the human inside.

These things have a brighter future as unmaned vehicles controlled safely from an office like a video game or something along those lines.

They have to figure out how to get around inertia before almost everything else.

A 20 foot tall mech falls over -for example- it's going to kill or severely fuck up the human inside. If it jumps or rockets too fast somewhere, it could fuck up the human inside.

These things have a brighter future as unmaned vehicles controlled safely from an office like a video game or something along those lines.

i think UAV will never get that level of atomy. i mean The X-47B has a a pretty power autonomous software, but there is still a man in the loop

Besides looking totally bad ass, are their any situations where it is advantageous to a have bipedal assault vehicle instead of traditional vehicles?
Robot/Gundam UFC

if we get to this level, im gonna be a pilot

Its gonna become like G-Gundam. Nation sends their suits to fight it out instead of traditional war. You can bet there's gonna be mech PEDs.

Back