Method-2, a real 4-meter-tall human-piloted mech robot

I can see the advantages of augmented suits for humans, but nothing of this size. I would imagine quadrupedal platforms would be better or even octopedal platforms. Humans are far from the most nimble land based life forms.

1370035-goliath_13.jpg

MechWarrior or Gundam here we come!

You give me a giant bipedal robot of destruction and I would re-up in the army in a second...

Terrain.

But I still think losing a turret is disadvantageous, especially in urban/semi-urban environments.
Turrets aren't really that helpful for urban areas. The roads and alleys are too narrow to rotate more than a few degrees. A 25 or 30 mm cannon could probably fit on one of those.

Also, these look awesome. I don't know what the capabilities are, but the CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor is just so high, I say that we invest in them now. These are just so cool.

Turrets aren't really that helpful for urban areas. The roads and alleys are too narrow to rotate more than a few degrees. A 25 or 30 mm cannon could probably fit on one of those.

Also, these look awesome. I don't know what the capabilities are, but the CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor is just so high, I say that we invest in them now. These are just so cool.

Turrets are pretty mandatory for smaller arms like machine guns... that thing will get flanked and pushed over easily with no rear coverage.

Turrets are pretty mandatory for smaller arms like machine guns... that thing will get flanked and pushed over easily with no rear coverage.
We typically use multiple guns to provide flank and rear security. The Stryker is a pretty good example of that. There is an open-air gunner in the back of that platform.

Besides looking totally bad ass, are their any situations where it is advantageous to a have bipedal assault vehicle instead of traditional vehicles?

Fighting alien hive queens.

latest

We typically use multiple guns to provide flank and rear security. The Stryker is a pretty good example of that. There is an open-air gunner in the back of that platform.

Exactly my point. If that thing doesn't have a rear gunner or turret of some kind it's pretty much fucked.

Exactly my point. If that thing doesn't have a rear gunner or turret of some kind it's pretty much fucked.
Yet. It doesn't have any rear guns yet. But it will, and it will be so cool that it will make you crap your pants.

Yeah definitely needs more shotguns, missles, and whatever cannon is mounted on the A-10

They are good when the machine is too heavy for wheels or treads.

Imagine a tank in the hundred ton range. What kind of gun would it carry?

Big%20Kate%20128%5B3%5D.jpg

You would have greater surface area for weight distribution with a treads or wheels than a humanoid mech.

There have already been 100+ ton tread vehicles including tanks.

Clearing out hostiles from a city-center, I suppose, would be one of its primary uses. In tight-knit cities, consisting of potentially hostile terrorists among the citizens, the use of armoured vehicles is a pain in the ass. It is difficult to react to situations quickly enough, or to maneuver the vehicle properly. A human-like construct could potentially climb, displace or crush obstacles, and change directions faster.

I don't see it being useful on the open field.

A humanoid design is basically a purely romantic ideal. If we have the power source and hydraulics (or some alternative) to enable such a fast and agile humanoid mech other designs would still be more practical using the same technology.

Yeah definitely needs more shotguns, missles, and whatever cannon is mounted on the A-10

Might tip over firing the GAU-8.

Time for gundams

Mount a GAU-8 avenger on each arm

BRRRRRRTRRRTTT

A humanoid design is basically a purely romantic ideal. If we have the power source and hydraulics (or some alternative) to enable such a fast and agile humanoid mech other designs would still be more practical using the same technology.

A humanoid design is easier for a human to, well, design, and to build, and to co-ordinate as a pilot, considering our elaborate understanding on the subject. Going for more intricate, optimized designs immediately, would probably be too complex of a feat to pull off.

The first tanks weren't anything to write home about either.

sturmpanzerwagen-a7v.jpg

The point was that it moved, and that it had armor, and that it could support a cannon being fired from inside. The rest of it came later.

armored_warfare_m1_abrams_1.jpg

Last edited:
A humanoid design is easier for a human to, well, design, and to build, and to co-ordinate as a pilot, considering our elaborate understanding on the subject. Going for more intricate, optimized designs immediately, would probably be too complex of a feat to pull off.

I don't how that is true in theory or in practice.

Look at current robot designs, what is much further along? Humanoid or alternatives? 2 legs is not an optimal design at all. Just from a stability point of view it is the worst.

Psychologically a humanoid robot is appealing hence why there is a large interest in such development for consumer usage. From a practical stand point just no.

Aside from that I don't see how such a large mech (or any large combat vehicle) would be useful at all given the technology to build it. I'd assume with that level of technology and equivalent cost you could field dozens of much smaller drone aircraft capable of operating as a swarm in an urban environment (including indoors).

They are good when the machine is too heavy for wheels or treads.

Imagine a tank in the hundred ton range. What kind of gun would it carry?

Wouldn't it be worse? Smaller surface area of the feet would cause it to sink in any soft terrain.

Being bipedal has obvious advantages like versatility. Humans can walk, swim, climb stairs, ladders...while a tank cannot really do these things(I'm aware of amphibious tanks). But it has obvious disadvantages, if you cripple one leg it goes down. A vehicle can still move without 1 wheel or with somewhat damaged tracks. It's also much more complex mechanically. It will also give you a higher profile in general, so any idiot with a RPG can hit you.
It's also probably much slower than a similar tracked or wheeled vehicle.

I understand the train of thought, but it's not like tanks or other vehicles wouldn't have continued to improve during the same time frame.
Assuming both were at the zenith of technology, what are the kind of situations that a mech would be a more practical option than an LAV or tank?

The gladiatorial arena

I don't how that is true in theory or in practice.

Look at current robot designs, what is much further along? Humanoid or alternatives? 2 legs is not an optimal design at all. Just from a stability point of view it is the worst.

Psychologically a humanoid robot is appealing hence why there is a large interest in such development for consumer usage. From a practical stand point just no.

Aside from that I don't see how such a large mech (or any large combat vehicle) would be useful at all given the technology to build it. I'd assume with that level of technology and equivalent cost you could field dozens of much smaller drone aircraft capable of operating as a swarm in an urban environment (including indoors).
The only advantage I can see is that it would be good for a human controlling it if it could mimic the user movements. Like an exoskeleton. But I would invest in traditional tank designs(maybe autonomous or remote controlled) and UAVs.

I think a drone tank would be awesome, it could be small, cheap and disposable. Without a human crew it doesn't need that much protection. If it gets disabled, it's not big deal too. Drones can be hacked or jammed but it would be great against low tech foes like ISIS. Send tank drones blasting through jihadis. Give them a self destruct mechanism. Use them for short range missions as tanks are mechanically unreliable they need human mechanics but that is no problem, attach a couple of them to traditional human tank platoons and make them controllable from inside a traditional tank and use them for scouting or taking down places considered too dangerous because of mines or IEDs.

Back