Method-2, a real 4-meter-tall human-piloted mech robot

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
This robot represents the dream of enhancing human abilities through robotics real – Method-2 makes Titanfall a reality. Here, near the end of the year 2016, Method-2 takes its first baby steps as a real human-controlled mech robot on two stable legs and metal feet.

This mech robot is 13-feet tall (approximately 4-meters) and weighs in at 1.5 tons. This robot shakes the ground as it walks. Method-2 is being tested in Gunpo, South Korea – just south of Seoul. The video shown below is the first recorded time the robot has taken baby steps with a human inside, controlling it.

Yang suggested that the company has received inquiries from a wide variety of industries about Method-2 and future models. Manufacturing, entertainment, and construction companies have all expressed their interest. And of course they’ve spoken about possible military use of the robot already.

A Phys.org article went so far as to suggest that “there have even been questions about [Method-2’s] possible deployment along the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone with North Korea. Not for a long time, mind you, but the possibility remains.
Yang said that this robot will be available for sale by the end of the year 2017. Whether the robot will be shipping then – or well past that due date – is not yet confirmed. The robot’s current target price is set for approximately 10-billion won (around $8.3-million USD). This price does not likely include shipping costs.

border.jpg

ha!

Besides looking totally bad ass, are their any situations where it is advantageous to a have bipedal assault vehicle instead of traditional vehicles?

Besides looking totally bad ass, are their any situations where it is advantageous to a have bipedal assault vehicle instead of traditional vehicles?

Nope.

Well, maybe for police patrols in certain areas where the 'presence' is the most important thing, and even then it's a stretch.

And this is Korean? Oh Japan! The shame! The shame! Anime gave you such a head start and you blew it!

We are well and truly "in the future" we all dared to dream about as kids

They are good when the machine is too heavy for wheels or treads.

Imagine a tank in the hundred ton range. What kind of gun would it carry?

Big%20Kate%20128%5B3%5D.jpg

It depends entirely on whether the construct can ever begin to mimic human maneuverability.

At this point, I would regard them as being more for show. But if it could reach the speed and durability of a tank, while being more maneuverable, then it could potentially be useful in practise.

We do not necessarily use tanks or other armored vehicles because they are the apex of human innovation, but because they are simply and easy to build in massive numbers, without requiring much maintenance. 100 crude tanks will beat one costly robot, any time, in large-scale warfare.

If these kinds of models are ever properly developed, they would be built for the purpose of "special operations" in which a smaller quantity of elite troops would have to deal with a larger number of foes.

Last edited:
It depends entirely on whether the construct can ever begin to mimic human maneuverability.

At this point, I would regard them as being more for show. But if it could reach the speed and durability of a tank, while being more maneuverable, then it could potentially be useful in practise.

We do not necessarily use tanks or other armored vehicles because they are the apex of human innovation, but because they are simply and easy to build in massive numbers. 100 crude tanks will beat one costly robot, any time.
I understand the train of thought, but it's not like tanks or other vehicles wouldn't have continued to improve during the same time frame.
Assuming both were at the zenith of technology, what are the kind of situations that a mech would be a more practical option than an LAV or tank?

I understand the train of thought, but it's not like tanks or other vehicles wouldn't have continued to improve during the same time frame.
Assuming both were at the zenith of technology, what are the kind of situations that a mech would be a more practical option than an LAV or tank?

Clearing out hostiles from a city-center, I suppose, would be one of its primary uses. In tight-knit cities, consisting of potentially hostile terrorists among the citizens, the use of armoured vehicles is a pain in the ass. It is difficult to react to situations quickly enough, or to maneuver the vehicle properly. A human-like construct could potentially climb, displace or crush obstacles, and change directions faster.

I don't see it being useful on the open field.

Clearing out hostiles from a city-center, I suppose, would be one of its primary uses. In tight-knit cities, consisting of potentially hostile terrorists among the citizens, the use of armoured vehicles is a pain in the ass. It is difficult to react to situations quickly enough, or to maneuver the vehicle properly. A human-like construct could potentially climb, displace or crush obstacles, and change directions faster.

I don't see it being useful on the open field.
I could see some applications in urban environments, but not being able to navigate indoors would severely limit the applications.
With it's height, I could see it being useful for surveying a large crowd. It could be an effective mobile watch-tower, but there are probably other ways to get the same benefits with a lower cost.

Cool concept and I enjoyed watching them on video. Pretty sure these things very lacking in the capability for effective use.

I could see some applications in urban environments, but not being able to navigate indoors would severely limit the applications.
With it's height, I could see it being useful for surveying a large crowd. It could be an effective mobile watch-tower, but there are probably other ways to get the same benefits with a lower cost.

Until they can be made cost-efficiently, we are unlikely to see any "robots" patrolling the streets any time soon. However, we shouldn't under-estimate the capacity of humans to spend immense resources into military technology, as long as there is any kind of a strategical purpose to be filled.

If these robots were built for the purpose of picking bananas from the trees or sowing the lands, we probably wouldn't see them receiving any funding.

Right now, there is a race to gain an advantage in small-scale conflicts (since most conflicts nowadays are of the sort), which means that even the whackiest ideas will be considered, regardless of their cost-efficiency.

Last edited:
We'll be killing bugs thousands of light-years away in no time!

Terrain.

But I still think losing a turret is disadvantageous, especially in urban/semi-urban environments.

Gotta get them developed now before the kaiju attack.

Back