Metallica/ AX7 reviews?

Streeter

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Been getting hyped for this concert at Soldier field. Not certain if I spend a few hundred and just sir in cappy seats to be there or spend an idiotic amount on good seats ......... my dumb ass forgot n didn't get tickets when on sale so at mercy of stub hub :( or ebay if I want good seats.

If anyone going the concerts starting tonight. ....... are they still worth it?

Can't say about AX7 because I've never seen them live. Metallica is my favorite band, I met them in 2009 and seen them many a time live and I have to say they are still amazing live and James' voice hasn't sounded this good in years. I say go for it and get the tickets. I am seeing them this Sunday at Giants Stadium and Wednesday next week at Nassau Coliseum.

Seeing them in Dallas on June 16th.

I'll post everything about it a few days afterward.

Wonder if A7X is opening througout the tour? Hell of an opening act ....... I was thrilled with AIC last year open g for Gnr (I know different singer but to be honest tbere is very little drop off) ...... but Avenged I like better. Good to see these mega rock bands getting g god opening acts.

I prolly through a grand at this and get 2 pretty good tickets as that's what it costs on stub hub........ is there a cheaper way than Stub hub other than just going there day of and trying to buy off street?

I've never seen Avenged Sevenfold on purpose. That is, never gone to a concert with the intent on seeing them. That being said, I've seen them three times and they never did anything for me live, they didn't have nearly as much energy as I expected they would. Granted, I'm not huge on them anyway, their most intriguing time was that brief moment when Mike Portnoy filled in for their drummer.

I've never seen Avenged Sevenfold on purpose. That is, never gone to a concert with the intent on seeing them. That being said, I've seen them three times and they never did anything for me live, they didn't have nearly as much energy as I expected they would. Granted, I'm not huge on them anyway, their most intriguing time was that brief moment when Mike Portnoy filled in for their drummer.
Portnoy just followed predetermined drum writing that was already laid out for that album by rev for the most part.

But I used to be that way with Sevenfold. I disliked them for a long time after they changed their style to get popular after the first 2 good albums. It did become a bit of popular cliche Metal fans to hate them even for people who never listened to them for the same reasons people started hating Metallica when the black album came out.

Their new album caught my attention because it is largely prog. And pretty damn good at that.

I went backwards from there. Hail to the king is a piece of shit metallica cover album. Nightmare is hit or miss, but the song Save me is a prog Masterpiece.
Their self titled album is definitely polarizing. They try some inventive stuff on that album, but also radio friendly it up for the other stuff.

City of Evil I initially hated because it was such a departure from their sound to mainstream, but it has a lot of good tunes.

When it comes down to it, I see nothing but complaints on their opening status from their fans. Setlist not long enough because they are opening, etc.

They don't do a whole lot for me either.

They aren't bad, Gates is actually a really skilled guitarist, I've just never been a huge fan... I do remember that one time back in 06, watching Much Music, lunch time at my house and Bat Country came on... for a moment I was pretty jazzed about a Metal band being on TV at that hour.

You rarely see that.... with that said, Lamb of God came on around the same time in 04 and that turned me on too them.

My cousin watched the first show of the tour, she said it was great and metallica was in classic form.

I'll be going to the Denver show in June, it'll be Volbeat opening, then avenged sevenfold and Metallica of course, I saw volbeat and avenged sevenfold last year at the high elevation festival and they were pretty damn good, the lead singer from volbeat didn't have issues with the air like most of the other leads.

Also Gates is legit live, dude steps out and kills it with ease, he doesn't get enough praise due to their rep but I honestly have no issues with them as a band so just my opinion.

10/10 , 2 thumbs up, 5 stars, seriously it was insane even with a 45 minute storm delay. Metallica delivered and then some, avenged sevenfold brought the energy and some damn good guitar work, volbeat started the show off crazy and kept asking the pits to go off and crowd surfing.

It was so much fun, barely got my hearing back to normal though and the concert was Wednesday lol

I would pay a decent amount to hear A7X's new album live. Never expected them to crack my top 50 list for the year, but it's a damn good album.

I would pay a decent amount to hear A7X's new album live. Never expected them to crack my top 50 list for the year, but it's a damn good album.
Stage? Yeah it was a surprisingly good prog album.

Stage? Yeah it was a surprisingly good prog album.

I wouldn't call it "prog". It's a solid straightforward hard rock album with prog-ish moments and a cool (If played out) space concept.

I mean, we can nitpick genres (as I'm wont to do), but calling it a prog rock album is a bit of a stretch.

Going Sunday at Soldier field. Pretty decent tickets. Saw Gnr last year and it had moments but the critics were right it really wasn't that great ....... AIC was actually great tho opening.

Everything I hear about this MetalliCA tour is its the best they have done since the early 90s. Haven't seen them since the tbe Aragon for garage days and Tbe Rose Bowl for them and Gnr. Excited and a great fathers day present yo myself. Lol

Saw them last night in Dallas, and overall it was good.

The 2-man opening act was surprisingly good. It made me wonder why I hadn't heard of them before.

AX7 was awesome - fullfilled all expectations, except they didn't play 'Beast And The Harlot' and since it was in Dallas, they really skipped out on a huge crowd reaction by skipping 'Walk' a Pantera cover.

Metallica was even more awesome, but the only issue, and it was a big one, was the set list. I hate that they sacrifice some of their bigger hits for some newer mediocre songs.

And even then, the order of the songs didn't matter whatsoever. For example they played One, Master of Puppets, and Fade to Black, in that order. One and Fade to Black are extremely similar in tone, song structure, and subject matter. I'm not against both being played at one show, but put more songs between them.

And it ticked me off they played both of those songs, but skipped out on both Creeping Death and Disposable Heroes.

Can't say about AX7 because I've never seen them live. Metallica is my favorite band, I met them in 2009 and seen them many a time live and I have to say they are still amazing live and James' voice hasn't sounded this good in years. I say go for it and get the tickets. I am seeing them this Sunday at Giants Stadium and Wednesday next week at Nassau Coliseum.
Cool bruv!I met Hetfield & Lars in a pub I was doing sound for a band in.Cool cats...enjoy da'show!

Best Stadium show I ever saw. IMO they were the best they have been since the early 90s live. Absolutely worth the money. Paid alot for good seats but wasn't disappointed at all.

The setlist was pretty good ...... other than most of the new shit.

Only shitty thing was all the t shirts were pretty shitty ......

Was at GnR last year at Soldier and this show blew that one away.

Finally with the way they said goodbye at the end it did feel like this was their last real tour.

One of the most boring concerts I've ever been to and I've seen them twice. It felt more like a play than anything.

They played fine and it sounded good but it felt super scripted. They are going to play some new stuff, James will get on the mic and ask if anyone wants to hear any of the "old shit", they'll play some old stuff, there will be pyro, they will get on stage, embrace and leave. Other than the setlist, it's the same experience every time. TOOL was another band that was very similar.

I guess it just depends on what you want out of a concert but I prefer when bands have a lot of energy/passion or change up how their songs sound live. The major headliners are just too scripted for me.

One of the most boring concerts I've ever been to and I've seen them twice. It felt more like a play than anything.

They played fine and it sounded good but it felt super scripted. They are going to play some new stuff, James will get on the mic and ask if anyone wants to hear any of the "old shit", they'll play some old stuff, there will be pyro, they will get on stage, embrace and leave. Other than the setlist, it's the same experience every time. TOOL was another band that was very similar.

I guess it just depends on what you want out of a concert but I prefer when bands have a lot of energy/passion or change up how their songs sound live. The major headliners are just too scripted for me.
Almost all major bands do the same thing. Last night was a hell of a show and likely the best or 2nd best Stadium concert I have been to ..... the other being Metallica / GnR in the early 90's at the Rose Bowl. Just can't see how anyone could of left last nights show thinking it was boring of all things.

Best Stadium show I ever saw. IMO they were the best they have been since the early 90s live. Absolutely worth the money. Paid alot for good seats but wasn't disappointed at all.

The setlist was pretty good ...... other than most of the new shit.

Only shitty thing was all the t shirts were pretty shitty ......

Was at GnR last year at Soldier and this show blew that one away.

Finally with the way they said goodbye at the end it did feel like this was their last real tour.
I head Local H was really good too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back