Metal Heads are the New Hipsters

IMHO metal started in the 70s and ended in the 80s. Since then NOTHING has surpassed the original albums of Black Sabbath, DIO, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead etc. All the later "reunions" and shit don't even come close.

Just yesterday I overheard some asshat taking on the phone, saying that he prefers "classic metal from the 90s". I was like:
<{cruzshake}>
WTF is "classic metal from the 90s"?! There is no such thing!

Last edited:
IMHO metal started in the 70s and ended in the 80s. Since then NOTHING has surpassed the original albums of Black Sabbath, DIO, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead etc. All the later "reunions" and shit don't even come close.

Just yesterday I overheard some asshat taking on the phone, saying that he prefers "classic metal from the 90s". I was like:
<{cruzshake}>
WTF is "classic metal from the 90s"?! There is no such thing! :mad:

Your opinion is shit.

Right now is the best time ever to be a music fan, metal or otherwise.

Your opinion is shit.

I will disregard the insult and ask - what is the CURRENT best metal band then? And the CURRENT best music in general?

I will disregard the insult and ask - what is the CURRENT best metal band then? And the CURRENT best music in general?

Well, considering the vast amount of subgenres in metal, we could narrow it down when I sit down at a computer. You seem to be working on nostalgia. There are better classic-style heavy metal bands than Sabbath, better thrash bands than Maiden (even though purists won't call Maiden "thrash", they played a huge role in the explosion of the genre), and on and on.

That doesn't mean that they didn't pioneer the genre, or aren't good. I still listen to the bands you mentioned on a regular basis, but the notion that metal died is absurd. Those bands are to thank for what we have now, but what we have now surpasses them on every level.

Well, considering the vast amount of subgenres in metal, we could narrow it down when I sit down at a computer. You seem to be working on nostalgia. There are better classic-style heavy metal bands than Sabbath, better thrash bands than Maiden (even though purists won't call Maiden "thrash", they played a huge role in the explosion of the genre), and on and on.

That doesn't mean that they didn't pioneer the genre, or aren't good. I still listen to the bands you mentioned on a regular basis, but the notion that metal died is absurd. Those bands are to thank for what we have now, but what we have now surpasses them on every level.
See, this is what I dislike when talking to "music connoisseurs" or whatever you wanna call yourself. You can't even answer a simple fucking question and instead have to go on about "the vast amount of subgenres", "purists" etc etc.

I never said that "metal died". There's plenty of metal still out there, I know. The genre ruled in the 70s/80s and the latter artists were simply not as popular and are just not as enjoyable (to me). That's it. Yeah, it's my opinion and you can darn well disagree without immediately calling it "shit".

Now, can you please just give me at least ONE metal band (of any subgenre) that I might enjoy - knowing my love for the real CLASSIC sound of the 70s/80s?

LimpSoreBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

See, this is what I dislike when talking to "music connoisseurs" or whatever you wanna call yourself. You can't even answer a simple fucking question and instead have to go on about "the vast amount of subgenres", "purists" etc etc.

I never said that "metal died". There's plenty of metal still out there, I know. The genre ruled in the 70s/80s and the latter artists were simply not as popular and are just not as enjoyable (to me). That's it. Yeah, it's my opinion and you can darn well disagree without immediately calling it "shit".

Now, can you please just give me at least ONE metal band (of any subgenre) that I might enjoy - knowing my love for the real CLASSIC sound of the 70s/80s?

Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't "metal died", you said it "ended". What a terrible mistake on my part. Let me revise: The notion that metal ended is fucking absurd.

One band that has a sound you might enjoy is The Necromancers.

<{cruzshake}>
WTF is "classic metal from the 90s"?! There is no such thing! :mad:

I'd consider Demanufacture and Vulgar Display of Power as classics from the 90's.

It's your life, but you're missing out on some great music if all you listen to is metal from the 70's-80's (which i also like since it's what i grew up with).

Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't "metal died", you said it "ended". What a terrible mistake on my part. Let me revise: The notion that metal ended is fucking absurd.

One band that has a sound you might enjoy is The Necromancers.
OK, I meant it "ended" for me personally, I understand the miscommunication on my side and don't wanna quarrel about semantics. Don't wanna sound like a prick either, it's all cool.

Thanks for the recommendation. Gave them a listen (Servants of the Salem Girl 2017). Not bad but still, not even close to the oldies - for me personally. I understand how someone would really enjoy The Necromancers but it does't do much for me. And this is not "nostalgia" as you assume - I did not grow up listening to metal. I grew up listening to The Beatles and Queen. I started listening to metal in university and I still consider it "acquired taste". But I do love it dearly.

Actually, I'm gonna go out of my way and kinda support your opinion by posting a modern band that I DO enjoy (though still not as much as Sabbath, whom they were probably inspired by).

Formed around 2014 they play pretty much in the style of the 70s. But is this "surpassing" the original or simply a nice continuation? I think it's the latter.

I'd consider Demanufacture and Vulgar Display of Power as classics from the 90's.

It's your life, but you're missing out on some great music if all you listen to is metal from the 70's-80's (which i also like since it's what i grew up with).
Demanufacture by Fear factory? A bit too industrial/thrash for my taste. I hope the "purists" don't lynch me for that statement. :p

Pantera is pretty cool BUT note that they formed in 1981 so it's very close to the 80s "main stream". ;)

OK, I meant it "ended" for me personally, I understand the miscommunication on my side and don't wanna quarrel about semantics. Don't wanna sound like a prick either, it's all cool.

Thanks for the recommendation. Gave them a listen (Servants of the Salem Girl 2017). Not bad but still, not even close to the oldies - for me personally. I understand how someone would really enjoy The Necromancers but it does't do much for me. And this is not "nostalgia" as you assume - I did not grow up listening to metal. I grew up listening to The Beatles and Queen. I started listening to metal in university and I still consider it "acquired taste". But I do love it dearly.

Actually, I'm gonna go out of my way and kinda support your opinion by posting a modern band that I DO enjoy (though still not as much as Sabbath, whom they were probably inspired by).

Formed around 2014 they play pretty much in the style of the 70s. But is this "surpassing" the original or simply a nice continuation? I think it's the latter.

For what it's worth, I specifically named a band that carries that sound. I don't think you would dig the stuff that I believe surpass the stuff you're into, because there is a 40+ year gap of innovation between the two. I can't give you a band that sounds like Sabbath but better. I can give you dozens of bands from the same general style (albiet modernized) that do everything Sabbath did, better.

There's no question that musicians now are largely better than the musicians then, because music constantly evolves. There are objective measures to music, and 40+ years later, by objective metrics, bands are better. Beyond that, I don't fault you for liking what you like.

For what it's worth, I specifically named a band that carries that sound. I don't think you would dig the stuff that I believe surpass the stuff you're into, because there is a 40+ year gap of innovation between the two. I can't give you a band that sounds like Sabbath but better. I can give you dozens of bands from the same general style (albiet modernized) that do everything Sabbath did, better.

There's no question that musicians now are largely better than the musicians then, because music constantly evolves. There are objective measures to music, and 40+ years later, by objective metrics, bands are better. Beyond that, I don't fault you for liking what you like.
There are objective measures to music (esp. technique-wise), I won't argue, but are bands really better? I mean some are but I just cannot agree with what you said:
Especially if we're talking about MODERN POP MUSIC - the mainstream. And here's a video about that.

There are objective measures to music (esp. technique-wise), I won't argue, but are bands really better? I mean some are but I just cannot agree with what you said:

Especially if we're talking about MODERN POP MUSIC - the mainstream. And here's a video about that.

I don't value radio drivel, and it certainly isn't the pop music that is taken to new heights.

And outside of objective measures, it would be my opinion that modern music (particularly metal, but elsewhere) is superior to music from the 60s/70s/80s. For instance, while I wouldn't expect it to be your cup of tea, Khemmis' album "Hunted" is, in my opinion, far superior to anything Black Sabbath ever released.

I don't value radio drivel, and it certainly isn't the pop music that is taken to new heights.

And outside of objective measures, it would be my opinion that modern music (particularly metal, but elsewhere) is superior to music from the 60s/70s/80s. For instance, while I wouldn't expect it to be your cup of tea, Khemmis' album "Hunted" is, in my opinion, far superior to anything Black Sabbath ever released.
Glad we can agree on that one.

Found "Hunted" and I must say I am impressed.<mma4>
Posting it here for others to enjoy:

<5>
Love the album cover too. Is that Blackwolf from Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards"? :D

Glad we can agree on that one.

Found "Hunted" and I must say I am impressed.<mma4>
Posting it here for others to enjoy:

<5>
Love the album cover too. Is that Blackwolf from Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards"? :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Once of my top releases of 2017.

Demanufacture by Fear factory? A bit too industrial/thrash for my taste. I hope the "purists" don't lynch me for that statement. :p

Pantera is pretty cool BUT note that they formed in 1981 so it's very close to the 80s "main stream". ;)

Yeah, Pantera formed in 81, but by the 90's they dropped this look:
pantera1985.jpg

They were embarrassing themselves looking like that in the 80's.

FF isn't for everyone, i personally love the thrash/industrial sound they produce. Makes sense as i'm a huge Slayer fan, but also enjoy industrial type bands like Ministry as well.

There's some great stuff out there after the 80's. Some really talented musicians who've evolved metal to the next level (some good, some not so good). Don't let the limp bizkits of the world cloud your view of the scene. Disregard that garbage and others like it, there's plenty out there that may appeal to you.

Maybe? Vocals might be a turn-off and the lyrics depending on your ethnicity.

Numerous classic albums came out of the underground in the 90s.

Maybe? Vocals might be a turn-off and the lyrics depending on your ethnicity.

Numerous classic albums came out of the underground in the 90s.

Vocals are a turn-off. Can't really discern the lyrics. :p

Back