Mental tricks to improve fighting perfomance

jonander50

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So tomorrow I have a cage fight. Wathever, I know two tricks that alleviate some of the negative
nervousness that stiff muscles, makes the tunnel vision effect and in general decreases perfomance.

The first trick for me is to breathe deeply, hold for a few seconds and release. This releases much of the stress chest sensation.

The second is to imagine that there's no public, that is like another sparring session in the gym, harder but taking it like that.

What tricks do you know?

All you can do is your best.

Do that.

Stop trying to do more than that, because thats impossible.

You dont get to control if you win or lose or how etc all you can do is your best. Do that

There was actually a couple of pretty cool Ted Talks that helped me.

I saw a Rich Franklin one years ago, and another from a female fighter that was pretty helpful as well (sorry I forgot the title of that one though).

Right before any big event where I have to perform, the best thing I find is to not care about the result before it starts. Its easier said then done if you have a lot at stake but having those moments of clarity before the adrenaline kicks in can with the nerves.

These are all great ideas.

So I had the fight which will upload tomorrow for you guys to comment, and another thing I used was, looking at my opponent in the locker room, think things like "am I going to permit that this guy fucks up the success I deserve for my hard work?" and I got a little pissed and it helped me with the nerves.

My take is don't take it too seriously, treat it like another day in the office.

I personally have an abundance mentally to everything in life, fighting is no different. Before when I was new to it, I'd try to rile myself up, force myself to go into a dark place trying to place it on my opponent, but once it came to ring time it didn't matter. I didn't feel all that rage towards him, in fact I was thinking of trying out things and it was very different, all the negative energy was gone despite amping myself up an entire week for it.

Since then, I just think its another day in the office, I'm looking to win, and will have fun doing so.

So tomorrow I have a cage fight. Wathever, I know two tricks that alleviate some of the negative
nervousness that stiff muscles, makes the tunnel vision effect and in general decreases perfomance.

The first trick for me is to breathe deeply, hold for a few seconds and release. This releases much of the stress chest sensation.

The second is to imagine that there's no public, that is like another sparring session in the gym, harder but taking it like that.

What tricks do you know?

I've never been in a cage fight, but in my younger days I was an idiot and got into lots of fights. It always helped to think of myself as the aggressor in those situations.

My good childhood friend is a pro boxer. Mexican dude. He told me "dont stres. Just have fun out there."

It seems that you are specifically looking for ways to calm yourself down. Progressive Muscle Relaxation is a good method and you can do it anywhere in minimal time.

Visualization is one of the most powerful mental tools that you can use. There is a reason that nearly every Olympian uses visualization. It can be used for skills and performance as well as getting you into the mental state that you need.

Nearly all professional athletes use visualization and employ sports psychologists. The US Olympic team took a dozen or so sports psychs with them.

“The top six inches of the body matter just as much the rest,” Matthew Cunliffe (sports psychologist).

How do you use visualization well? Because when I try I get sub par results, but if I have a day dream wow its like real life almost, but when I try to artificially do it nothing much happens

Just to emphasis a little more on what The BookofSpeed said, mentally rehearsing the tactile sensation of the performance is very important. Even if you can't see it in your mind, if you remember the feel, then you are calling on the coordinated movements that you have programmed into your brain and thus muscle memory.

These are all great ideas.

So I had the fight which will upload tomorrow for you guys to comment, and another thing I used was, looking at my opponent in the locker room, think things like "am I going to permit that this guy fucks up the success I deserve for my hard work?" and I got a little pissed and it helped me with the nerves.
Well...? Where's the video? Also, breathe and pretend he is your younger brother or someone you know you can bully. No way you gonna let your younger brother bully you and beat you up. We're scared and nervous cuz we keep thinking we will get our ass whooped.

Stick to the game plan and you'll be fine.

AND UPLOAD THE VIDEO!!! ARRRGH SO MAD!! HULKSMASHHHHHHHHH

Patience:

Perfection and calm under fire is not something you just trick out of yourself. If you want true composure and confidence, so long as you're learning and growing it will come.

Back