Mental illness and BJJ

So the title explains part of it (I'm also disabled with 4 other diagnoses). The problem is when my depression is taking over and I don't go to class. There have been times I forced myself and I've had the shittiest experiences while in class having no energy and not caring about class. Even afterwards, I still didn't feel better, not feeling that good energy rush, etc. I want to go to class , but unfortunately its not making it possible. I love martial arts and I want to go, its the only thing I have in my life right now. Now I know the BJJ cultists are going to say, go and feel better, but its not happening.

I just need some serious advice from people that are or were I my position.

Thank you in advance.
Get help. If you love what you are doing but cannot find the energy it may be a medical issue not just a mental issue. You may have some things you need to get through. Nothing wrong with real therapy. When my daughter passed away I sought therapy to get through and there is nothing wrong with it. Im an old guy for sherdog,,, 43 so I have a bit or life experience.
nothing wrong with therapy dude. keep up the activity however.

sometime you just need time out i had to have a year out due to mental illness ,i got real bad depression and anxiety just came from no were.I tried to keep going to classes but just didn't have the desire or the strength, depression mentally drains you and causes physical exhaustion as well.plus it makes you think negative thoughts and you end up in a vicious circle you start thinking its never going to get better I tried loads of different meds.That shit made me worse.I just took time out so my brain could rest i had ice cold showers morning and night walked every day kept a good diet .im just starting to come out that fucking dark cloud that hangs over your head i wouldnt wish that feeling on my worse enemy,so i would say rest avoid any strenuous exercise for now go for brisk walks try ice showers trust me it works a good diet plenty of omega fats keep well hydrated avoid the medication anti depressants ect and seek some help talk to you Dr

Last edited:
Back