Mental illness and BJJ

My diet is shit. Sometimes I eat healthy. But when I'm down, I binge for sugary food as much as possible. Donuts, chocolate, etc. I still take my meds, but it never works. And as far as having things under control, I barely can do much.
You choose what you eat. Don't play the victim role. 90 days. Eat all veggies and water. Med will actually work and potentially not be needed in the future

The whole problem is I can't control my mindset, it controls me.
Don't be a victim. You can't say that and not take your meds, not seek help on a regular basis, not control.your eating. Come on man. Here's the deal. Start over right now. All you need to do next is make the next decision that will help you. Then the next, then the next. If.you can't go get 51 50d and ask for help. You will get put on a 72 hour hold and you will get access to resources that want to help people who want to be helped. But.you cannot be a victim

Last edited:
The whole problem is I can't control my mindset, it controls me.
not with that kind of attitude thats the exact thing I'm talking about if its really that bad go see a professional about it

sherdog is not the right place

not with that kind of attitude thats the exact thing I'm talking about if its really that bad go see a professional about it

sherdog is not the right place
I have heard I can't control my self for years. I go to the extreme on them real quick
Do you put male genitals in your mouth. No. Oh why you don't like it. But I thought you were not in control. It just doesn't work like that. You are in control and making really bad decisions that put you in a bad place
You are right man. He needs help. Probably not going to get.it on sherdog either

Learn to be present to the moment. Make time to read The practical guide to the Power of Now (or something like that) by Ekhart Tolle. Its a tiny book and you should be done with it in a couple of days.

The knowledge in it is priceless and will help you to focus your energy on the right things.

It's helped me plenty and I'am still getting a hang of things. It can be a very powerful tool if used to its maximum potential.

There are many other books I could recommend, but if you had to read just one more book in your life, read the one I mentioned above.

Depression and anxiety affects people differently. Just telling them to think "positive" won't make it go away. Saying to people, "other people have it worst" doesn't help. When you're in that state, you couldn't give a fuck about what other people are going through. You can't see a silver lining as much as you try. You just want to get better and at its lowest point just want the feelings to end.

What helped me was medication and counseling. I went through a terrible bout with Family problems and Military pressures. My anxiety and depression kept me from literally sleeping. That impending doom I felt constantly wore me down. After about 2 weeks of literally not sleeping I looked like unholy hell, a buddy checked me into a hospital because I was spiraling.

There is an answer out there, but you have to keep looking. Talk to a professional. Your friends and family aren't trained to help and may do more harm than good. Remain, busy because free time is a killer. It allows Shit thoughts to fester.

But most of all Don't give up.
I pretty am going through the same thing. I appreciate opening up to me.

Learn to be present to the moment. Make time to read The practical guide to the Power of Now (or something like that) by Ekhart Tolle. Its a tiny book and you should be done with it in a couple of days.

The knowledge in it is priceless and will help you to focus your energy on the right things.

It's helped me plenty and I'am still getting a hang of things. It can be a very powerful tool if used to its maximum potential.

There are many other books I could recommend, but if you had to read just one more book in your life, read the one I mentioned above.
Read both books good shit. Got a lot of books, start then can't finish.

Don't be a victim. You can't say that and not take your meds, not seek help on a regular basis, not control.your eating. Come on man. Here's the deal. Start over right now. All you need to do next is make the next decision that will help you. Then the next, then the next. If.you can't go get 51 50d and ask for help. You will get put on a 72 hour hold and you will get access to resources that want to help people who want to be helped. But.you cannot be a victim
I said I do take my meds??? Would you say the same thing if they had cancer?

I said I do take my meds??? Would you say the same thing if they had cancer?
Speaking from experience yes. If something goes wrong you have to make decisions to get better. Does that mean you can't be sad or have feelings, no. But those should be in the moment and then you do the next best thing. Trust me your question is closer to home for me than you think.

Read both books good shit. Got a lot of books, start then can't finish.

Reading the books isn't enough. You have to put it into practise.

Try applying what you read to let go of a small bit of your anxiety to enable you to get through the book... I mean its a tiny book, barely 200 pages. Even if you read a chapter a day you should be done with it in about 10 days. Start applying what you read as you read it, throughout the day.

Sure, its really hard, but no personal growth comes easy.

I know a guy who has a condition and has a tendency to hurt guys (honestly think he doesn't do it on purpose) after hearing about him injuring multiple people I really don't want to spar with him anymore.

Last edited:
I know a guy who has epilepsy and has a tendency to hurt guys (honestly think he doesn't do it on purpose) after hearing about him injuring multiple people I really don't want to spar with him anymore.

How does the epilepsy tie into him hurting people? I'm an epileptic and never had the urge to go full paulhares when i roll.

How does the epilepsy tie into him hurting people? I'm an epileptic and never had the urge to go full paulhares when i roll.
I think there is a disconnect or a delayed reaction to him letting go of submissions. I know for a fact he doesn't do it on purpose.

So the title explains part of it (I'm also disabled with 4 other diagnoses). The problem is when my depression is taking over and I don't go to class. There have been times I forced myself and I've had the shittiest experiences while in class having no energy and not caring about class. Even afterwards, I still didn't feel better, not feeling that good energy rush, etc. I want to go to class , but unfortunately its not making it possible. I love martial arts and I want to go, its the only thing I have in my life right now. Now I know the BJJ cultists are going to say, go and feel better, but its not happening.

I just need some serious advice from people that are or were I my position.

Thank you in advance.

I used to have this problem in a huge way when I was a white belt, and maybe for a little while when I was a blue. The competitive aspect of BJJ would trigger my depression, and I'd feel paralyzed. One time I recall showing up to class and it was an open mat. Immediately I felt the depression take hold, and after trying to roll for about 30 seconds, I just sat motionless on a wood railing for the next hour. My coach came over eventually, I told him what was going on, and he told me some sob story of his about his house burning down on the same day that he found out his mother died! I remember being like, "that sucks, but I wish the sadness I'm feeling was that logical."

All I can say in retrospect is that my depression has improved as my belt level has improved. I am a brown belt now, and, as funny as it sounds, I feel like a brown belt in terms of dealing with my depression. A turning point was moving to a new gym at blue belt that was more stimulating, but I think a big part is just me finding little ways to manage and curb it. BJJ is a great treatment for issues like this because it constantly puts you through rigorous trial-and-error analogies to real life. However, as I mentioned, it can also be a trigger for depression, since this wonderful/terrible sport can humble you in powerful and unpredictable ways. So I think that as I've learned about how to manage the ups and downs of the sport, I've also learned how to manage my personal ups and downs, both in direct terms of how I let BJJ affect my life (e.g. I am very careful about when I choose to compete, since it's a huge trigger win or lose), and in metaphorical terms.

Last edited:
Like Cus D’Amato (Myke Tyson’s trainer) used to say: “People are amazed when I tell them that winning in boxing is 25% physical and 75% mental”. Same can be said about graduating from elite military schools like the U.S. Army Special Forces, U.S. Army Rangers, and U.S. Navy SEALS.

Last edited:

What other books did you read?

Too hard to read, my brain has shutdown.

It isn't. It might sound like I'm trivialising your depression. If your able to read sherdog, you can read books on how to better deal with your depression. Start small, surely you can muster enough will to read a page a day.

This is IF you want to get better.

If you're using your depression as an excuse that you can fall back on whenever you fail and to garner attention and sympathy then you're gone fucked. If you make depression a part of your identity, it going to become harder to let go of it to go after the things you want. In this case, that would be BJJ.

Back