mental health days vs sick days

For a lot of people I can understand taking a day off work if their mental health needs it.

For me, going in actually makes me feel better, because I work with good people and I soon forget my feelings and shit thoughts. Come home feeling better than when I had left.

If someone is feeling stressed out or depressed to the point of being non productive, then might as well stay home.
yea this is correct IMO.
a 'sick' day can easily be applied to mental 'sickness', ie stress, anxiety, etc.

yeah there is a huge shift in australia towards it being recommended workers take 'mental health days' off if they are struggling.

it is more inclined towards those who are depressed and suffer from anxiety. but in the end it is available to any staff member really, why restrict it from others.

I manage a large workforce, and at the end of the year I payout unused sick days. That being said, if we have an important job or project I let everyone know I am going to be all over you if you call in on those days. That goes if a department is lean due to any number of issues such as vacation or someone leaving etc.

If a department is at full strength and its going to be a non-ish issue, I don't care why you are calling in. It could be any type of emergency or family issue anyway, you don't have to be sick.
This. I operate under the same rules, although a lot of people try to blur the line

Who gives a fuck what anyone thinks. Including your employer. It's just a job.

What do you value more? Your sanity or your employers respect?

I take off when I really dont feel like going to work. They can eat my whole ass for all I care

My bosses assistant takes a vacation day or calls in every Friday. Every single Friday. It's annoying as fuck cause she does payroll and scheduling on Thursday so if there is a problem you're fucked till Monday.

Going to work is the Best thing you can do for your Mental Health. The feeling of Doing a Good Day's Work is one of the most rewarding feeling you can hope for.

yes, this is true. contributing to society while getting paid is the whole point of working.

If you need a day off take it.

I had a day off the other week due to mental fatigue

yeah there is a huge shift in australia towards it being recommended workers take 'mental health days' off if they are struggling.

it is more inclined towards those who are depressed and suffer from anxiety. but in the end it is available to any staff member really, why restrict it from others.
Its gets a heavy push in my industry, basicaly call in with fatigue and no questions asked.

I take off when I really dont feel like going to work. They can eat my whole ass for all I care
Yep. Most employers could give a fuck about cutting you loose to maintain their fiscal health.

You can get another job, but you can't get another psyche or immune system.

This year everyone got to take vacation except me, yet our projects and deployments didn't magically disappear while they were off. I really need to start taking my own advice...

For a lot of people I can understand taking a day off work if their mental health needs it.

For me, going in actually makes me feel better, because I work with good people and I soon forget my feelings and shit thoughts. Come home feeling better than when I had left.
Where do you work?
Sometimes I go to work feeling upset and since I work with a lot of cool people my day gets better

Most employers or larger companies count you as a number and could care less about your health or wellbeing. Ring in sick if you have the leave to do so....

I have worked for smaller companies that treat workers well. In this case, I'll organise well in advance to give them a heads up of the time i need off.

Where do you work?
Sometimes I go to work feeling upset and since I work with a lot of cool people my day gets better
At a church, mainly in the food bank. You get some real rude people coming in, but the women I work with are all great and just getting a quick chat in with them between clients is enough to brighten my day. And sometimes they feed me pastries lol.

Its gets a heavy push in my industry, basicaly call in with fatigue and no questions asked.
i think its great. iirc i wanna say you are mining or something similar? (i could be totally wrong)

i think in jobs like that with majority of men making up the workforce, there tends to be a strong macho vibe created or expected. currently there are so many news articles mainly from news.com.au pushing the mens mental health agenda and linking jobs like construction, mining and others to have high numbers of men killing themselves.

I just use my sick days I don't have to give any explanation I have a union if I call HR and say I'm calling in sick I get paid as long as I have sick hours.

I concur.

At a church, mainly in the food bank. You get some real rude people coming in, but the women I work with are all great and just getting a quick chat in with them between clients is enough to brighten my day. And sometimes they feed me pastries lol.
Yeah typically some workers are cool and some people can really suck. But then sometimes you get to meet really cool people as well.

Last edited:
Back